Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Techniques for the Best Off-Hand Performance (Read 5431 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

Re: Techniques for the Best Off-Hand Performance
Reply #15 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Here's my two cents:
1) Practice
2) Practice with a purpose, as if you are at a match every time you shoot. Concentrate on avoiding bad shots.(Don't hold too long, if you cant squeeze off the shot after 10 or 12 seconds start over).
3) Practice your breathing
4) When you practice, don't' put the rifle down for at least 5 or ten shots, build up your endurance.
5) Practice in the wind, rain, heat and any other conditions you might encounter at a match.
6) achieve and maintain good cardio-vascular conditioning. You cant hold still if you are huffing and puffing.
7) Practice getting your shot off in 7-10 seconds.

Strength is NOT a factor. lift weights if you want but you can be a great offhand shooter with minimal strength. However, being in overall good physical condition is very important.
Try Yoga. It increases your breathing, endurance and flexibility.
I hope this helps.
Joe S

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Do not hold your breath.  If you hold your breath, most people fill their lungs with air and constrict their throat, which causes tension.  It also compresses your heart and your heart increases its rate to make up for the loss of volume.

Instead, stop or pause your breathing.  Take a breath and let it completely out as you relax into position.  Do not constrict your throat: let your airway be open.  You should be able to manage this for 15 to 20 seconds, enough to get off a shot.

This assumes that you are able to rest your elbow on your hip.  If your arm is supported against your side you have other considerations.

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Yup--What Joe S said, according to his O.H. scores it is worth much much more than two cents

Brian

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Problem with BPCS is you can shoot good scores and place well in matches without the offhand leg, then hit a plateau due to the chickens. 

I always Shot offhand, not very well, some years ago decided to improve. Way I went about it was put a bolt action iron sight 22 spotting scope & ammo in the trunk of my car. Worked out a deal with a local commercial indoor pistol range to let me shoot last bay away from the crazies. Normal routine was 4 x 5 Shot Targets every shot strike called and observed, then stopped, all sessions very short, several times a week. targets saved scores recorded.

Progressed well, then moved the routine over to a good quality 10 M Airgun in my basement workshop. Sometimes back to the ,22 & pistol range but found the Airgun just as useful and more accessible. Improved fairly fast then hit another plateau.

Tell you later how I broke through that one. 

Boats.

IP Logged

P1

Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:46am
Print Post  
These are good tips. A couple of observations: perfect practice makes perfect. Practicing the wrong thing just get you good at doing the wrong thing. It is better to use the width of you stance to adjust the vertical hold, not your breath. For you basic hold set your feet so the line from the target goes through both ankles, turned sideways. Then adjust by rotating your legs back and forth. Make sure your weight is distributed evenly on your heels and balls of your feet. Balance the rifle on your hold. Get the basic hold on the middle chicken and rotate slightly to reach the first and last animal.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:59am
Print Post  
One more before I have to shut down. Problem with silhouette (and I was silhouette match director several types our club) is a miss is acceptable, most people accept they can’t hit them all and throw shots away.

Very good competitor who’s name any BPCS shooter knows told me “ you shoot ok, scores will improve if you can stop making mistakes”. This falls right into line with Harry Popes “ it’s not good shots that make the score, it’s the absence of bad shots”

Issue with BPCS chickens is hard to spot misses, makes it difficult to see what’s going on which feeds throwing away shots. For silhouettes I use paper targets exclusively for practice.  Spray painted on cardboard or scrap plywood exact size from stencils. That way you can call the shot and spot the strike.  Use a cork board with the critters painted on one color push pin call another with the actual strike. Schuetzen, what little bit I shoot, same routine paper target at the bench every shot called spotted and recorded with push pins.  

What you want to do is train your mind to pull the trigger at the right time. Only way to do that is think about what you saw and confirming with what actually happened. 

Good book, perhaps the best on competive shooting is David Tubbs “Highpower Rifle”he goes into preparation and match strategy, avoiding errors. Tubb is probably the best shooter ever and has a clear way of explaining. Avoid his “rifle shooter” which is more equipment than technique. 

Boats
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2018 at 7:05am by boats »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Some years ago NRA translated and published a Russian book containing a lot of information developed by A. A. Yuryev and others (Yur'Yev, A.A. Competitive Shooting. Seventh Printing, English Translation Edited by Gary L. Anderson. Fairfax, VA: National Rifle Association of America, 2000) -- possibly now out of print. Russian language version is Юрьев А.А. "Пулевая спортивная стрельба and was long used in training Russia's Olympic Shooting teams. Last I knew Russian language version could still be downloaded.

This book contains lots of illustrative material showing how individual Russian Olympic shooters adapted the fundamentals to their individual bodies. Many years ago I was steadily improving my offhand shooting thanks to this book, and then ageing took its toll and trashed everything I had gained, and more, associated with offhand shooting.

It provides much the same advice seen in the aggregate of individual posters to this thread.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
The Russian book is probably the best available on target shooting of any kind. Position illustrations are invaluable. It’s often available on Amazon but expensive. I am mixed on what’s best Russian or Tubbs. Best get them both.

Boats 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I had a copy of that Russian book. I think I got it from the NRA.  I loaned it to a friend. Like most loaned books, he was sure he returned it  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Mine came from NRA, less than 10 dollars I bet. They are trending on Amazon now 50-60 dollars and well worth it. 
Tubbs book 25-30 and another essential .

Boats.

IP Logged

P1

Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Both of those books are very good, but for the technique aspect of offhand Ways of the Rifle is the most modern. The Russian book is an excellent study of all aspects of many types of shooting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint