Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Techniques for the Best Off-Hand Performance (Read 5425 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Techniques for the Best Off-Hand Performance
Jun 25th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I am hoping that we can start a discussion of what constitutes good techniques for maximizing off-hand shooting performance. Techniques that can be used specifically for BPCR Silhouette and shooting these types of rifles at the Chicken target.

Although I have been competing in this sport for over 15 years I am still a novice when it comes to off-hand shooting. One technique that I have been slow to learn is the natural point of aim (NPA) where you position yourself to shoot at the chickens but you do so at first with your eyes closed and then open them to see where your sights are pointing. You then adjust your feet to align more with the target and again, with your eyes closed you then open them to see if you are naturally pointing at the target. You keep doing this process until you are pointing at the target. You would then put the rifle down to relax your muscles before aiming again for your first shot. I have also heard something about describing figure "8s" with your sights, while trying to steady/time the shot let off, but I am not quite at this point yet!  Tongue

What techniques have worked for other?!

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Techniques for the Best Off-Hand Performance
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
BOATS is the man to watch at the match!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

emmett22405

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Hep--  try eg (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) authored by the USAMU--pretty good shooters

the best thing is practice  etc etc and more practice to build muscle memory, hand eye coordination AND muscle strength-- remember that BPCR rifles are usually heavy close to 12 lbs --20 years or more ago shooters prayed not to be embarrassed at the chicken line  ie 1-3 chix--now most top shooters spend 15 minutes or so daily just in dry fire offhand practice and expect to hit 6-10 chix

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I will say trigger control and response is number one.  Some days I have a little and others the trigger will not work no matter how long I hold center  Cry

Quite a few people have asked me about this over the years and I always tell them being in shape to lift and hold that rifle still for 20 or 30 seconds minimum without muscle fatigue is essential.  One fellow who asked was a computer programmer. The company closed and he decided to become a self employed construction contractor.  He told me later that being out doing physical work everyday did more for his offhand than anything else he ever did.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
I will say trigger control and response is number one.  Some days I have a little and others the trigger will not work no matter how long I hold center  Cry

Quite a few people have asked me about this over the years and I always tell them being in shape to lift and hold that rifle still for 20 or 30 seconds minimum without muscle fatigue is essential.  One fellow who asked was a computer programmer. The company closed and he decided to become a self employed construction contractor.  He told me later that being out doing physical work everyday did more for his offhand than anything else he ever did.

Schuetz- I agree with all you say here. I have been lifting weights (for about a year but just once a week), been dry-firing my competition rifle in my basement at an airgun silhouette target at 33', and trying to get trigger control while using both my competition rifle and also an Olympic-style air rifle that I added additional weights to at the muzzle. But still the hardest technique to master is when to pull the trigger at the right time and without jerking! The air rifle shooting really brings this out but the two rifles are vastly different in weights and balance! Oh, the horror!  Angry

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
  Chuck Blender said: "Don't pull the trigger unless the cross hairs are on the 25 ring." Good advice.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Dave Stahl once told me that his advice was "don't move."

GTalk  
IP Logged

P1

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I am very happy to finally see a thread about offhand!   
To find the natural point of aim you get the gun on the target close your eyes and relax. Then see where it is pointing. One major aspect of standing is a relaxed hold, not holding the sights on the target. When you release the trigger, and you do that intentionally not a surprise, the body relaxes involuntarily moving to the NPA. In a good hold the rifle is balanced on a pillar that is you body, no muscular effort to hold it up and on target. 
One of the things practice teaches is to get the trigger release to be a reflex. When the aiming bull is centered or the cross hairs are in the middle you finish the squeeze.  No voice in the head screaming now fool pull the trigger. And the main thing, know where that sight was when the gun went off, follow through. 
You are on the right track with the air rifle. Offhand is much more of a mental game, one thought goes through your mind during the shot and there is no reliable call. With practice your wobble area will get smaller. 
Try to find a copy of Ways of the Rifle.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Just act like you are going out to shoot another tree squirrel for dinner and quit trying so hard. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

P1

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Spoken like a true bench shooter.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Wasn't meant to be a smart ass remark when I was a wee lad I used to shoot Walnuts out of the little grove of Walnut trees out at Grandpa's ranch and got to where I did not miss very many shooting offhand. Used the same approach in competition as it wasn't really any different than shooting walnuts out of the tree for me.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 12:43am
Print Post  
To be a better than average offhand shooter you need:
- A good physical conditioning regimen
- Practice, practice, practice
- and finally . . . practice
Sort of like taking care of your dog, you have to do it every day.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Practice, practice, practice is it.  I asked Dennis Martinen, Yakima, WA, numerous  silhouette championships and records both state and national, what it took to shoot like he did.  He said shoot 6 days a week to maintain and 7 to improve.  This is supposed to be fun, not work.  I never came close.  When I shot a lot it was only once or twice a week. 

I did notice my offhand greatly improved after I got serious about archery hunting. I did shoot my bow nearly every night summer and fall for a couple of years. I could do that in the backyard.   I attribute the improvement to improved follow through.  Shooting flintlock for many years was also a follow through exercise. That occasional click, pause, boom that scores a 9 or 10 rather than putting you out of the match is first class follow through   Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 4:02am
Print Post  
At the point, in time (1993), that Jim Feren shot the still standing 100 shot record (2341 as I remember), he was dry firing for 1 or 2 hours a night and shot about 500+ 22RF a week.

'93 was a long time ago and I may not remember the exact numbers but, it was at least that much.

I've made things for Dave Stahl but, never got to talk to him on the phone. He is or was on this forum and if he reads this topic, I'd be curious as to how much he practiced in his prime.

For those starting out, my best advice is, what I was told:

Don't worry about the 25 ring, go for the center red rings and you'll get a excellent scores, while work up your skills.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Practice is really important since:

1. It developes and maintains muscles you use shooting offhand that normally do not get well developed (except for painters and dry wall installers).

2. It burns the image of your sights centered on the bullseye and this speeds up your brain to send the message to squeeze the trigger at the right time - reflex shooting.

Yes the NPA indicates when your body is aligned with the least amount of body tension in your muscles.

It is the body tension that pulls your shots off.

When you are naturally aligned you will not have muscle tension in your arms and hands etc.

You do not use your arms and hands to readjust your point of aim since this causes muscle tension.

Instead you move left or right by moving your feet.
You change elevation by the amount of breath you hold or by pivoting at the hips.

Also for people with longer arms that cannot use a palm rest; it is best to shoot off your finger tips instead of holding the forearm on your palm hand. 

This eliminates the tension in your hand holding the rifle.

And most importantly you need to center and shoot quick.
The oxygen in your eye is depleted after seven seconds and your point of aim actually starts to change.

Never hold your shot too long.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2018 at 6:27am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint