Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mirage (Read 5907 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Mirage
Reply #15 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Great input Bruce and as you say a miss-read or possibly not even paying real close attention to and the flags can indeed be real brutal. Once I know the mirage direction and speed I will also watch to see if it is wanting to change or to hold and remain the same long enough to get a called and good shot off. I also use the mirage and flags to tell me don't you even dare think about trying to take that shot just as much as when they are telling me it's time too. Sort of like watching a stop light changing from red to yellow and waiting for it to turn green per-say. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jack and some days the last flag or two are more truthful than the first two. I try to use the sight in period to also try to figure out who is telling the me truth and who is now lying as it can change from one match to the next or at times during the day. But more times than not if one has enough patience and time they will eventually all agree and I will wait. But some days they just don't want to so or do it enough times within the alloted time so I am also pre prepared so I don't get caught with my pants down and don't end up left scratching my head. I used to be able to shoot five conditions with full confidence but after my stroke I had to relearn it all and can now only shoot three. But I will also only do so when I absoulutly have to now and prefer to just wait for the same one to return. Back in my CBA days five gave me real competitive edge having only 10 minutes for score and 15 for group. Now with CBA long gone and it's all Schuetzen here now three so far has been more than enough to get through a match. Mirage is not quite as difficult to learn but seeing the direction it is clearly running has now become my biggest issue while looking through my scope with my bad eye. And I am to far along in life to want to change to left handed shooting and going over to my good eye. The offset bases are also just to awkward for me to want to use so I just keep trucking along trying to do my best with what I have and still having a hell of allot of fun trying.   

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2018 at 2:26pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I will know how well I am doing a week from now.  Next Sunday will be wrapping up the 3 Day Canadian Western Regional ISSA event.  The weather forecast looks good for the weekend.  Mid 70s wind 10-15 mph. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
this sort of issue is what makes some people give up, and others try harder. Shocked
human nature Huh
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Conditions and Weather look to be nice Jack and shooting good is always nice for one to accomplish. In all honesty on my end it has always been about being around all of the nice folks who share the same serious interest who provide the most enjoyment. If I am able to shoot pretty good it's just rewarding to know that all the time, effort and practice time I put into it does indeed pay off and still keeps me in tune. Be looking forward to your results when all is said done and hope you have a real good time and I will be here rooting for you. 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Bruce I have seen those who are not willing to put in more time and effort just walk away from it. When I first started my first goal was to come in second to last just once and it took me two years to get there. Folks back then at the top wanted to remain there and just not willing to share. Once I finally made it there it has always been my goal to help others to get there and then it's been up to me to work harder to try and stay there. Leaving one alone only to become discouraged is to me not what the sport is all about or how to make it grow. If a new fellow can find just one little spark of improvement each time he goes out he will typicaly keep coming back. But there are a few of those who just don't like loosing and want to win right out of the gate unfortunately who won't stick around long if at all.

JLouis

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
"every dog has its day", or so the old saying goes.
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Yes Sir and indeed True.

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
I was thinking of trying to come up with a way to see it on a screen sitting on the bench out of my good off eye I use to watch the wind flags. Not sure if it would even be legal as I believe mirage boards are not. Has anyone tried doing such a thing or if the rules would even allow it being used. 

JLouis

John, I skimmed through the rules.  I didn't see anything about wind flags or mirage boards.  Both must be up to the schuetzenmeister under questionable equipment? 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks John,

I have always gotten plenty of good advice from fellow shooters quite a bit of it contradictory, but it always gave me something new to try.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Jack, Do you think we need more wind and mirage here to practice it?   Huh  I have always be told not to shoot when the mirage is in a boil, but most of the time it is in a boil here  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I have plenty down here at Capitol City range.  I can bring some with me to Tacoma if you wish.  Will twitchy winds 15-20 Mph be OK?

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:23pm:
I have plenty down here at Capitol City range.  I can bring some with me to Tacoma if you wish.  Will twitchy winds 15-20 Mph be OK?

Jack

You are a lucky guy  Grin

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Hopefully we wont have a repeat of the winds in Spokane from a few years ago when wind flags were blowing over.  I had a wind sock that I weighed down with a couple of bullets that managed to unscrew the socket off of the light stand.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Did you ever notice the wind socks on my flags?  I call them my "Quarter Socks."  The wind at Springfield used to need one or 2 quarters to tell the variations some times  Grin  I do not remember putting in 3 quarters, but may have  Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint