Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mirage (Read 5884 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Mirage
Jun 23rd, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Here is a good example of the effects of mirage at our range and possibly others as well. I was shooting at 200yds with my 28-35SS with a dead wind zero so having to hold off. The flags were showing the wind coming from 10:00 o'clock with the mirage running right and just when the trigger broke the wind remained the same but the mirage turned to running hard left. Hopefully this might help to show how important it is to always keep a close eye on both the wind and the mirage. It is one of the challenges we always face at our range where the mirage can typically change from running soft to hard in one direction and then just the opposite in what seems to be in just a matter of milliseconds. Some might look at that this shot or one of their own as just being one of those uncalled for shots we all typically experience from time to time. When it was actually caused by a very quick change in just the mirage condition and what I am wanting to point out should it be somehow helpful to others. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2018 at 8:00pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Re: Mirage
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Yes, mirage has a big effect at the target. Its not the wind that is moving the bullet here but the target image moving with the mirage. You see the target image (the light coming back to you from the target), not the actual target, in the presence of mirage.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
That's ok, JL, it happens to me, too.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Nice targets Frank I think it happens to us all with the difference being some might not being aware of it and my only point. I don't see the ill effects on your first target was it shot in a boil and something that should always be avoided if possible? I wasn't aware of Tommy's range having allot of mirage to deal with so also a bit interesting. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:26pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Nice response and input Hepburnman mirage can at times be a bit hard to see or for one to fully understand the ill effects from it. Since my stroke and permanent partial vision lose it is the direction that has now become difficult for me to recognize. I now typically get burnt from it quite a bit thinking I see it running one way when it's actually running just the opposite. If one pays enough attention you can actually watch the image move from its true position, return and stop before it can move off again and use that stopping point to reference where the actual true image actually is. 

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
That's what I figured, a boil, that i didn't catch in time. Note the main group, right in the middle.

The 200 yard line sets in the sun, starting about 10 - 10:30 and stays that way, the rest of the day, unless there is high winds, with or w/o rain to blow the mirage away and cool things. You never know what will happen, any given minute.

This year, it starts the 29th and goes to July 8. I expect mirage and high winds but, not any/much rain to cool things.

We'll see.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2018 at 8:40pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
It's a tough uphill range to shoot from what I hear with really no place to put out wind flags. I try avoid boils if possible hard to get a real good handle on as the image keeps bouncing up and down. Again real nice targets and hope you have an enjoyable time along with some real nice weather and do well Frank.

JLouis

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Plenty of room for flags.  Just have to make an educated guess as to which ones to follow.  Close in flags at either end of the enclosed range typically are blowing in opposite directions.  

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 12:53am
Print Post  
j louis,
i would suggest you copped a double whammy.
if the mirage runst the other way, so does the wind, even if only for a short time.
sometimes too short to change a flag.
when this happens, the image of the target moves left to right or vice versa.
then there is wind deflection added to this.
a killer if you miss it.

my own take for long range shooting is to use the mirage to say when a condition changes, and the flags to say what the change is.
after a few shots you can work out if the mirage is honest that day, and if it is what it is telling you.
if the wind is flicky, the quicker reacting mirage might well be your friend.
in that case shooting on a condition can help if time permits.
i suspect that 10 moa windage also equates to approx 1 moa elevation, but cannot shoot well enough to prove the exactness of that.
of course shooting at 40 rods , while having the same ruls as long range, is an art unto itself.
good bullet stability can help minimize deflection, but cannot tell when the target image goes left or right, up or down, or a combination of both.
disciplines that allow a sighter target make some of these issues easier to deal with.
where you focus your spotting scope can also be critical.
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

P1

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Mirage and wind can’t be separated, the wind directs the flow of the mirage as Bruce said. In NRA long range we use the mirage for wind 10 mph or less, and it does react much faster than a flag. Actually Wind Probes are almost as quick to react. If you focus your spotting scope about half way to the target and watch the mirage it can be very helpful in understanding the days conditions.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 7:59am
Print Post  
In Light wind conditions mirage is the most effective wind gauge . 

Boats

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 11:44am
Print Post  
great info guys    art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Art I would love to hear your thoughts and what you might have to share as well as those from others. My problem is now recognizing the direction through my scope with my partial lose of eye sight not in shooting it. I can see it cleary in my spotting scope with my good eye but more times than not it will change before I can get back down on my scope as the target shows. I was thinking of trying to come up with a way to see it on a screen sitting on the bench out of my good off eye I use to watch the wind flags. Not sure if it would even be legal as I believe mirage boards are not. Has anyone tried doing such a thing or if the rules would even allow it being used. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2018 at 12:37pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Jack looks just like what the flags are always typicaly doing down at our range. One bench to the left or right will be showing a different condition and why it's important not to try and shoot someone else's flags. Are those your wind socks they are similar to what I use. 

Hope to see you shooting good at Tommy's while having a great time with friends. 
JLouis

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
I think those socks are Schuetzen Dave's.  I do have some similar that I copied from his.  I also have a pin wheel flower on a bearing pivot that I use up close.  I found a condition last May in Spokane that used my close pin wheel flag and the closest 100 yd flag that proved to work well for the second half of the week.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint