Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Miroku Browning & Winchester BPCR receiver parts (Read 2899 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Miroku Browning & Winchester BPCR receiver parts
Jun 14th, 2018 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
I was disassembling & cleaning a Browning 1885 High Wall BPCR that I’d bought for resale & thought I’d take a photo of the receiver parts.  This is the level of disassembly I perform on the rifles prior to listing for sale to ensure the action is clean & there are no worn or damaged parts.  As you can see they are a bit more complicated than an original Win. High Wall.  Since the BPCR models do not have an ejector system (only extractor) a few more parts would be displayed with non-BPCR models.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Miroku Browning & Winchester BPCR receiver parts
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Talk about reinventing the wheel! Not saying it isn't a useful design, but I wonder why they went to all the trouble when they had a perfectly good design from a century earlier. Job justification?
Anyhow, thanks for showing us, and have fun poking all that stuff back in there.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
After disassembling/reassembling a couple hundred 1885s it’s a piece o’cake.

Rather than job justification, with the exception of Browning’s lawyers, I understand the redesign from the original Win. receiver was due to liability concerns.  The B-78 came first around 1973, which incorporated some safety features but was even more complicated than the later 1885 receiver.  The 1885 receiver was introduced in 1985, simplified the B-78 trigger assembly and added another safety feature.  The B-78 hammer can be thumb lowered past the ˝ cock step, resulting in the hammer resting against the firing pin.  The redesign reduced the number of trigger assembly parts and added a hammer sear and a hammer sear spring.  In actual operation the M1885 hammer sear is an inertial sear, making it just about impossible for the hammer to be in a fired position (resting against the firing pin) without intentionally firing the rifle.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Well, maybe lawyers were doing the job justification instead of engineers, huh? Makes me wonder how the old guys, with so many fewer lawyers kept from killing themselves every time they handled a firearm.  Roll Eyes

just messin'with this. i hear they are pretty good rifles from folks at the range.

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Thanks for showing us your Browning guts.

More than ever, I am of the mind that the best way into a High wall is original Winchester or the best Italians.  That basket of parts is anything but traditional.

Curl

IP Logged

ridgeline

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Do you know if any of this increased complexity is related to the fact that these Winchester/Miroku 1885's are also built for modern smokeless cartridges in addition to the more traditional black powder cartridges?  And do you know how complicated these are compared to a Ruger #1, which is also built for modern cartridges?

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
About half the parts in a Colt Sharps.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
What might the Colt Sharps have to do with this conversation?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Ridgeline the Ruger's are well beyond being more simplistic and extremely easy to work on by comparison. Sometimes it makes one wonder why the current batch of younger engineers feel the need to over redesign what already has proven to work. Maybe to justify their pay? Bill Ruger to me used the most simplistic and common since approach for the owners to be able to work on what they have purchased.

JLouis

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Well, that cleared that up.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
And as Rebel and John (eventually) pointed out, the young engineers grossly over designed the Colt Sharps.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Could not agree more and when one looks at the simplicity of the CPA Stevens, MVA HI Wall, CSharps, Ruger and others it does tend to make one wonder why?

IP Logged

ridgeline

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
One of the reasons I asked about the Miroku version of the 1885 compared to the Ruger No. 1 is that the schematics for both are shown on Brownells web site and they appear to be similarly complex in terms of number of parts, at least to my untrained eye anyway (the 1885's are shown in the Browning section but are Miroku's).  The Low Wall seems to have fewer parts and be simpler than either the Hi Wall or the No. 1, but of course a complicated looking schematic doesn't necessarily mean it's harder to disassemble/reassemble.  J Louis, it sounds like from your experience the No. 1 is much easier to work with.  I was contemplating either a Low Wall or High Wall in a modern cartridge to play around with.  Maybe I'll look more closely at the No. 1 as well, although the fore-end seems much more robust on the 1885.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint