Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) shooting from a bench (Read 5556 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: shooting from a bench
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:49am
Print Post  
You can also put the pictures on the desktop and drag them to the  place that says choose file. You may have to resize them as well.

JS

IP Logged

md5200
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
pic of cpa rifle

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Unless you are taking the recoil by a hard grasp into the shoulder your buttstock is not going to give you a consistent ride on that puny bag. Easy fix would be a piece of wood glued to the stock bottom to form a parallel line with the bench and a good rabbit ear bag.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:28pm by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

md5200
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
the stock in the pic was a flat or straight bottom. I put the taper in it. works better for my style of shooting. we had our june egg shoot today. very windy I tied for 3rd with 18 my wife was 2nd with a 20 and a 21 won it. one of the guys asked me what bullets I was using when I told him he said that was part of the problem. he shoots a 223 and a 6 br. same thing as me 2 or 3 right there and the rest flyers. when he changed to a different brand everything got more consistent. I've tried different hold and firm not hard seems to work best for me. the smith that fitted the barrel is as good as they come. if I don't get something i'm going to call paul  ans see what he says. thanks for the help on posting the pic md

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
IMO, A better setup, practice with it  and consistency is probably the biggest issue. 

I have shot a few 250s with this setup when I shot a lot. Biggest issue is the ears sticking out the back, real PIA from the bench.  They are not original, but have been on there for over 100 years so I'll just leave them alone  Grin  Second issue is having lube properly aged. When I am in practice, some of the 250s only use a quarter of the 25 ring for most of the group, but any fliers are still 25s   Shocked

Sorry ht e pic is way too big.  Right click and open in a new tab will make it screen size.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:15pm by Schuetzenmiester »  

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I agree that big flat forearms are good for bench shooting.
Are there any suggestions for using traditional slender round forearms when shooting from the bench?
My very limited experience with barrel sleds says they are not worth the trouble.
Chuck

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Chuck,

I rest all but my Martini MK on the barrel right where the forend ends.  Part of my routine is to slide the rifle back to battery until it contacts the forend.  The buttstock on my non-perch belly stocks sticks out about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the rear bag.  This is a very repeatable setup.  I have tuned my loads to shoot very accurately with this setup.  I hold the rifle fairly lightly with NO cheek contact.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I have shot off round barrel and round fore arm rests.  They can shoot very well.  I had a Stevens 44 1/2 32-40 in the early 90s that shot under 1" for 10 shots when I did my part.  Certainly shooting flat forearms and BR stocks make it much easier.

Barrel sleds take a different technique than shooting off bags. I nev er got mine to shoot as well as off bags, but I didn't put the time into it as there were very few opportunities to shoot traditional class.  It was a PIA putting it on and removing it and tansitioning tne scope settings back and forth from offhand to bench. 

What I discovered with my 33-47 shooting off the barrel or rounded forearm is the left hand rifling tends to widen the group as the rifle tends to torque out of my hand rather than into it as a right hand twist would do.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Bob,

Try shooting it left handed Smiley  You coming to Spokane?  You could try it there and let us know how that works.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I prefer shooting off the barrel similar to Jack using a sand bag front rest. The only problem in doing so is most off the shelf front rest sand bags are not designed for one to successfully do so. I had Protektor USA make a custom front sand bag for me that fits my barrel and my own personal needs. Cost was basically the same as an off the shelf bag at 39 dollars filled with sand at the time. I just went over all of the specific details with David over the phone and had the new bag in hand in seven days. The barrel channel fits my barrel perfectly per my own wants and needs. It has a 3/4 inch radius barrel channel and a depth of 1 1/4 inches and my barrel dia. is 1.202 inches where it rests in the bag. The weight of the rifle thus forms a perfect fit from bag to barrel and also helps to guide it straight back during recoil. After receiving the bag I removed the sand and mixed it 50-50 with Parakeet Gravel and then re-filled it. The mix helps to keep the barrel from wanting to jump off the bag having no other way to put it and more importantly it helps to absorb unwanted vibrations. The barrel channel is 5 inches in length. The bottom of the bag to the bottom of the barrel channel is 11/4 inches. This keeps the front of the forend from hitting the rest and marring it and it is also the return to battery stop. The bag is 6 inches wide and I had three ears per-side installed with brass grommets in order to achieve a very stable and non moving bag attachment to the front rest top. If you might want to pursue doing the same and have any questions please feel free to ask. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Only a thought or two md. I would consider switching bags, or take a good bit of sand out of your back bag so you can move it back to the toe of the stock like the other folks are showing. There may be some inconsistency when you use the bag to absorb recoil on the pistol grip. Maybe, you could move the set up to the end of the bench or by a cut out. By not being able to sit next to your rifle, you may be reaching over it in an awkward way that's not helpful for consistency. I'd work on one or the other. If you keep changing your bench setup as well as reloading components, it may be tough to figure out what's helping and what's not. Best of luck with it.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 3:11am
Print Post  
I do not believe much can be done to improve performance with that rear bag.  Not distributing the rear bag setup is the most critical part of the rifle setup on the bench.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Appreciate the advice, thank you. Will give it a try.
Chuck

IP Logged

md5200
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
guys I would like to thank each and everyone for their contribution. I got a little good from everyone. the one that blew me away is  putting the front bag  ahead of the forearm. I didn't have any match ammo but I had 100 new cases to fireform. I used 3 different brands a some h 380 I've had for awhile. with the change in the front bag setup, my fireforming loads were scary accurate. my wife shot several groups that were 1 hole. can't wait to make some match ammo. thanks again md i'll keep you posted

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
MD5200 it is very rewarding to hear that some of the approaches others here are using have become a bit of a help to you and that is truly what all of the good folks on this site are all truly about the want to help others to succeed. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint