Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) shooting from a bench (Read 5533 times)
md5200
Participating Member

shooting from a bench
Jun 14th, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
been  rifle doing  load development for a cpa and a highwall both are very accurate just not consistent. I feel like the problem is in my setup on the bench. I have a good solid bench and good sand bags. tried different holds. any help very much appreciated thanks md

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: shooting from a bench
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Got a picture of your setup?

Any pressure change in your hold or cheek pressure, moving the rear bag, the list is endless  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Check this out (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

md5200
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
the cpa rifle has such a long lever. I had the forearm on a bag and would raise the stock to load and reload, then carefully return the stock to its original position on the rear bag. on a 5 shot group I might get 2 or 3 in the same hole and the other 2, 1/2 inch away. I went to 3 2x12 boards stacked with one leather bag on top. i don't have to disturb the rifle to load and unload, same thing no consistentsity. tried hard hold soft hold. I know two piecestock rifles are touchy. this rifle is very accurate when it wants to ha ha thanks md

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
My Ballard is the same way plus it has 3 inch prongs on the end of the butt stock.  It takes a lot of practice.  Just can't pick it up and shoot a 250.  It takes a lot of work to stay there after you get there.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
MD
You make no mention of the calibre of your rifle, some are more accurate than others.  Where are you resting the barrel or the fore end on the front bag ?, if on the woodwork try resting on the barrel after finding the barrels null point, about 6" back from the muzzle is a good place to start.
Buy yourself a good adjustable front rest, they don't cost much.
If as you say you are getting three shot near one hole groups with a couple of flyers half inch away that makes the groups about 1" or less, if you are using smokeless powder this isn't all that bad for starters, if you are using BP quit while you're  in front.
Finally get someone else that is a good bench rest shooter to try your rifle and see if their results are better than yours, the reason for this should be self explanatory.
Best of luck.
Mike.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
LOOK for comment from Jlouis. When he first started shooting Schuetzen Rifles built for offhand he said he wanted to compete with the Bench rifles with an offhand rifle. I told him he would not likely to be able be competitive with them. HA! He showed me. Still not sure what things he learned how to do but he has become very competitive. Ask him for advice. HTH
Regards, FITZ. OLD TUCK. Wink

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
The following is just my opinion and likely not a very meritorious one at that.

First of all, we're not robots or machine rests and therefore at best still minutely inconsisent.  Then we further burden ourselves with single-shots having long lever-throws (like those of the original poster), breaking barrels, or other design features that require moving the gun between shots.

In short, those two limitations alone behooves me to suggest that while one can certainly hope and strive for one-hole groups off the shoulder or the bench, such perfection will happen only very rarely if at all - and we need to be satisfied with that.

Otherwise, what is challenging but still basically fun becomes frustrating and burdensome so that we scream at our dogs and kick our wives and children.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

md5200
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
thanks for the input. a little about me 70 last jan. i'm right handed but shoot left. left eye master. I love single shot rifles. our local club has a series egg shoot every month from april to sept. great guysand good shooters. i'm the only one that shoots a single shot. most of the others are custom bolt guns. we shoot 8 at 100 8 at 200 and 8 at 300 yards. we glue a rubber band on the egg and hang it on a rack.perfect score is 24. no restrictions on weight caliber etc. I've won it twice with an old browning 78 rebarreled to 30 br. our range is in an old gravel pit and the wind can be sooo tricky. my cpa rifle has a fairly heavy hart 6mm 1 in 10 twist barrel I modified the cpa bench rest stock so it has taper on the bottom' caliber is a 240 cobra. i use norma brass. dies are lee custom collette.i've tried most  6mm bullets .I like the hornady 105 hpbt with rl 17 powder thanks hope this helps md

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Look back at what the old dead guys did.  They had a setup that they called a "machine rest".  They removed the rifle's wooden forearm and butted the face of the action against a vertical plate that was securely fastened to a very heavy plank about 4 feet long.  The heavy horizontal plank was clamped to the bench,  There was a notch in the plate to fit the barrel (and with a Winchester, the mainspring).  At the muzzle end of the plank was a block on which sat the bobsled.

The old guys made their adjustments by moving the end with the vertical plate.  We can do that by using our front end rests, because they are adjustable.  Just make the rest part so that you can use a bobsled if needed.

A setup like that lets you open the action to load & unload without moving the rifle.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Please first and foremost let us first know what type of ill effects are you currently experiencing on the target. What powder, primer, seating depth and what chambering is your rifle. I am assuming you are shooting it breech seated so please correct me if I am wrong. If you could by chance send a picture of the rifle along with your bench set up it would go along way for those who are willing to help. You did not mention if your forearm was designed to be shoot off what you might now currently have for your front rest setup. If of the original design shooting off the forearm simply will not work well for you. If it's a CPA does the rifle have a through bolt or are the tang screws the means to attach the butt stock to the action. All though there are more than enough variables for one to have to sort through that all come into play. Most if not all of those can also be very quickly eleminated if taking the advice from those who now know and have spent enough of their own time and efforts to have finally been able to sort out most if not all of their own rifles likes and dislikes and the only honest road to be laid out for those like yourself who are very honestly asking what it takes for you to reach your own personal goals so you too will become more than able to achieve all of those goals you will very soon want to eagerly set for yourself. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:37pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

md5200
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
the stock was fitted by cpa and it is tight. I made the forearm, it was a cylinder 10 in long. I cut it to shape on a table saw. it's a nice fit with 1 screw in the middle holding it to the barrel. I've tried amounts of tension with varied results. my wife took some real nice pics but we can't figure out how to post them help md

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
md5200 wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:47pm:
our local club has a series egg shoot every month from april to sept. great guysand good shooters. i'm the only one that shoots a single shot. most of the others are custom bolt guns. we shoot 8 at 100 8 at 200 and 8 at 300 yards. we glue a rubber band on the egg and hang it on a rack.perfect score is 24. no restrictions on weight caliber etc. I've won it twice with an old browning 78 rebarreled to 30 br. our range is in an old gravel pit and the wind can be sooo tricky. 

If you are shooting eggs at 300 yards and winning, maybe you should advise us?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

md5200
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
my wife took some really nice photos but we she can't figure out how to post them help md

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
md, if you hit the reply button, underneath the dialog box and just under all the "smilies" you'll find an empty box that says "Browse" at the right end.  If you click "Browse", you can search your computer for the image you want to attach then double click the image.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint