Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Offhand Shooting (Read 1592 times)
JWL

Offhand Shooting
Jun 14th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Back in 2014 Ken Meyer wrote and article on how to make an offhand rack. He was not using fixed amo and the rifle when in the rack slopes to ward the muzzle. What methods are used to keep the powder in the case when inserted into the chamber. I am given to understand that using a wad can lead to ringing the chamber.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Offhand Shooting
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
If you talking about powder position, I would slope it to the rear. If you watch on the line, most rise their rifle above the target at some point, before releasing the trigger.

When you shoot at a uphill range (like Spokane), it's even more so. All in all, it will take a VERY skilled OH shooter, to be able to even, come close to knowing if there is ANY difference in powder position and accuracy.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Floral foam in  the case mouth while loading will not hurt anything.  I would tilt the rifle up before firing as Frank suggests.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JWL

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 7:06am
Print Post  
The offhand rack mention was in an article in the June or July issue of the ASSRA magazine of the year mentioned. Ken must be using floral foam or something to keep the powder in the case. In the picture of the rifle in the rack the muzzle is slanted downward during loading.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I use a cork wad when loading a rifle on the "Offhand rack". It goes just in the mouth of the case. I tip the cartridge down at the mouth to get powder to set toward the front of the case. This prevents the neck wrinkling that I get if I don't do it that way. I have found no problems doing this. It does seem to take a tenth of a grain more powder to get the usual accuracy when tipping the mouth of the case down prior to loading. When shooting off of the "offhand rack" I usually use cases loaded with powder and wad rather than reloading the same case over and over. I do, however, still breech seat my bullets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint