Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: Hepburn (Read 6542 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Hepburn
Reply #15 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:03am:
The only problem I see between the two methods is charging a case on a windy day. Other than that it is up to the individual's abilities as to whether the load is safe. Black powder mishandled can be dangerous and a concern at a match as well. Smokeless gets a lot more people in trouble and in light of that one should applaud the ASSRA shooters for their safety record. Shoots like the Quigley would be better served by having an equipment and load review prior to allowing a round to be fired. Both instances that were publicized could have easily been avoided by an experienced eye, something the ASSRA matches have in excess.

Quigley does have a load review. The load data you are using must be listed on your entry form so they can see what you're using. I don't believe they get into details of the gun, such as whether it's a cast or forged frame. Just the type of action, and caliber.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:51pm:
You would think smokeless blows up more rifles but, there was a thread on this forum many years ago discussing just that.  Turns out it was about fifty fifty at that time. 

Joe.

Could you elaborate Joe? Does this mean that 50% of guns were blown up using smokeless? Or that 50% of guns being blown up were using smokeless and the other 50% were BP?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Interesting Joe! The proponents of BP would have us believe it's impossible to blow up a gun with BP. I've often said that wasn't so, but couldn't find enough examples of guns blown up with BP to make a good argument.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I guess it would be safe to say that none of them were Peabodys. The government tested them and for a final test they put 120 grains of powder behind 5 ounces of lead with no problem.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Yep, but when you touch off BP you have a real good idea that it came out the barrel. Or were you thinking of something like Tim Conway and the Siamese elephants?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Joe not a laughing matter at all either is a double charge of smokeless having been there one to many times myself. When the rifle goes off and it doesn't sound quite right one best better not ignore it is all I have to share. If a double charge one will surely know it but if a light charge leaving the bullet half way down the barrel it may not be so noticeable. And very doable by just the primer going off and forgetting to put any powder in the case. Also leaves more than enough room to seat another bullet behind it should one choose to ignore it all though I have not yet to see that happen.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018 at 8:02pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint