Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A.O. Zichang (Read 11942 times)
Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Re: A.O. Zichang
Reply #45 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I met Jake Simmons at the Coorsfest in 1983, he was shooting on the bench next to me, and invited me over to his little trailer after the match. So...I walked over to find Jake entertaining Dean Miller and John Amber, so I sat down amongst them, not knowing quite what to say, and then Jake went inside and brought out a bejeweled Zischang Borchardt with everything on it. As I recall it looked something like the one in the middle;

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
The Borchardt in the middle of your photo first appeared in public (to my knowledge) in an article by John Amber, "The Creedmoor Sharps - and Some Others", in the 5th. edition of his Gun Digest.  He opened his account of the rifle, which he attributed to Schoyen rather than Zischang, by stating " ... it is almost impossible to describe adequately, nor do we pretend that the photograph does it justice."  Nearly 70 years later, that's still true.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #47 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Wonder what the pin is above the lever pin on the lower two rifles.  I wonder if it’s some sort of bbl lock for takedown ?

No pictures in Sellers book have this pin.

John

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #48 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Many custom single-shots were made with multiple barrels. There is a tapered pin that intersects the bottom of the barrel threads and locks the barrel in place. The cross-pin can be tapped out and then the barrel can be removed.

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #49 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I think you must be correct that the pin locks the bbl for multiple sets.  It just looks really low in relation to where the bottom of the 15/16 bbl thread would be.  Must have had a very shallow engagement.

John

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #50 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I assume these dst Borchardts had no saftey.  I’ve seen a plan of Zischangs dst saftey and wonder if there are any other designs out there?

John

IP Logged

pmcfall
Senior Forum Member

Reply #51 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
In reference to Zischang, I ran across a surprising bit of information recently.  I bought a Lefever side by side and it came with a very nice book about Dan Lefever.  Anyway, while thumbing thru looking at pictures of the nice shotguns, lo and behold, there was one with A.O. Zischang engraved on the sideplate.   

I then started reading and according to this book, he was the superintendent of the barrel department for Lefever for a while before he headed off to open his own shop.  You guys all probably knew this, but I certainly didn't.
Phil

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #52 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
The pin might also be to hook a breech seating tool on if those two guns were used as breech seaters.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint