Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New England gunsmiths (Read 1069 times)
George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

New England gunsmiths
Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Anybody know anything about Lane and Read in Boston, Mass?   I see a reference to them making 1816 pattern muskets from 1826 to 1836, but nothing else.  Also I see William Read listed from 1826 until 1852.

Point is I just picked up  a nice New England "Kentucky" percussion half stock.  The only markings are on the lock, "Lane and Read, Boston,Mass."  Needs a little work, but looks to be very typical of the New England rifles made prior to 1840.  Would sure like to know more about the makers.

George

IP Logged

Longknife

Re: New England gunsmiths
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 9:48am
Print Post  
George, The name on the lock indicates who made or sold that particular lock as locks, barrels and hardware were manufactured and sold to gunsmiths who only had to supply the wood and labor. The MAKER of the gun usually signed it on top flat of the barrel between the breech and rear sight. Your gun may or may not have been made by Lane and Read. Post pics on this site (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) for more info on your gun....Ed

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New England gunsmiths
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Ed,

I pretty well knew about the name on the lock being the lock maker, and maybe/maybe not the rifle maker as well.  Unfortunately I have as yet to find any other markings on the rifle.  I hope to get some pictures this morning.  Then I can post them on the link you sent.  Might turn up something.  The information on Lane & Read they have is the same as I have in my book.

Thanks,
George

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint