Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lyman STS spring (Read 10465 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

Lyman STS spring
Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:06am
Print Post  
I have a Lyman 20X STS scope on  my CPA 40-60 Maynard that does not have the spring on it that I have seen on others.
Could someone please tell me what the purpose of the spring is.
Mike.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman STS spring
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
The purpose of the spring is to return the scope to battery, Better that your the spring, just don't forget!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
It's to return the scope to the same location after recoil moves it rearward each shot. Many shooters don't like the recoil spring and prefer to pull the scope back each shot. 
I had a scope repairman tell me that the return spring can shorten the life of crosshairs by the banging back and forth during firing and return of the spring on higher recoiling calibers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:16am:
It's to return the scope to the same location after recoil moves it rearward each shot. Many shooters don't like the recoil spring and prefer to pull the scope back each shot. 
I had a scope repairman tell me that the return spring can shorten the life of crosshairs by the banging back and forth during firing and return of the spring on higher recoiling calibers.

Absolutely right.  The spring should NOT be used to fully return the scope, but just to minimize the amount of recoil movement.   If it returns the scope, the scope can "BANG" against the mounts with about the same G-forces as would result with a firmly mounted scope.  A spring is not needed on the light-recoiling rifles that most of use use.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks gents
I wasn't sure if it was designed to return the scope to battery, or just act as a shock absorber.
Mike.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Unertl stated that his scopes could be solidly mounted without damage. A case in point, a good friend used a 2" Unertl on a 300 Pfeifer Magnum with no damage. I now own that rifle and continue to use that same setup. Lyman Targetspot scopes were wonderfully made scopes, but not designed for heavy recoiling rifles, so use of a spring was intended to assist the feeble minded to not forget to return the scope to battery when using light recoiling or rimfire target rifles. If a Lyman Supertarget is left to free recoil, it eliminates the tendency for an "ouchie" and damage to the scope from a solid mount or from an improperly adjusted spring if one chooses to use one. John Unertl was either an advocate of spring use, or possibly an advocate of making a dollar whenever possible. I tend to believe the former.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 9:03am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:26am:
John Unertl was either an advocate of spring use, or possibly an advocate of making a dollar whenever possible. I tend to believe the former.

More than an advocate--he "invented" them!  It was his FIRST advertised product (1934) after he left Fecker's employment with some degree of bad-blood between the two. 

Lyman did not advertise a spring until sometime after WWII.      

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 9:03am:
rkba2nd wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:26am:
John Unertl was either an advocate of spring use, or possibly an advocate of making a dollar whenever possible. I tend to believe the former.

More than an advocate--he "invented" them!  It was his FIRST advertised product (1934) after he left Fecker's employment with some degree of bad-blood between the two. 

Lyman did not advertise a spring until sometime after WWII.     

Unertl may have advertised the recoil spring first, but I don't believe he invented them or offered them first. Early Feckers had that recoil spring as an option before Unertl even started out on his own. Unless he came up with the idea while at Fecker.
My 1920's Cleveland Fecker with his version of the return spring:

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 10:49am:

Unertl may have advertised the recoil spring first, but I don't believe he invented them or offered them first. Early Feckers had that recoil spring as an option before Unertl even started out on his own. Unless he came up with the idea while at Fecker.
My 1920's Cleveland Fecker with his version of the return spring:

But how do you know the spring wasn't added later?  I once had 5 of the Cleveland-made scopes & none of them had a spring. But better evidence that Fecker wasn't making them is provided by his two earliest catalogs--no springs shown in them.  Furthermore, Fecker was a prolific Rifleman advertiser--no mention of them in his ads either.

Many pre-war Lyman scopes now have springs, before Lyman offered them in any ads I've seen--where did they come from?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:08am:

But how do you know the spring wasn't added later?  I once had 5 of the Cleveland-made scopes & none of them had a spring. But better evidence that Fecker wasn't making them is provided by his two earliest catalogs--no springs shown in them.  Furthermore, Fecker was a prolific Rifleman advertiser--no mention of them in his ads either.

Many pre-war Lyman scopes now have springs, before Lyman offered them in any ads I've seen--where did they come from?

I don't know if the recoil system on my Cleveland was original when new or not. But the fact they aren't often seen surely doesn't mean the opposite either. And I seriously doubt just because you haven't owned one it makes them an Unertl invention.
I got the gun with the scope on it from a advanced scope collector who has hundreds of early scopes and he said the retaining system for the spring is completely different than the later Feckers used, and unlike anything else. He thought it was original, but since Fecker didn't advertise them, he couldn't confirm it either.
Do you have a patent number for Unertl's invention of the recoil spring? Or are you assuming he invented/patented it because you saw it in an advertisement?
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:35am by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Take a look through dozens of pages of John Unertl's patents. Nothing found for a return spring.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:38am:
Take a look through dozens of pages of John Unertl's patents. Nothing found for a return spring.

Take a look through the Stevens Arms patents, & you'll see no patent for their detachable scope mounting blocks--which without doubt they introduced.  Why?  They should at least have applied, as there's nothing to loose but minor legal expenses if a pat. app. is refused, but probably because similar dovetail attachments were in use for mounting machine tool accessories, they didn't pursue the matter.  (Patent-crazy Winchester would certainly have done so, if they'd thought of the idea first.) 

Anyway, who said anything about a Unertl pat. for the spring?  Even "invent" I put in quotes.  No idea why he didn't apply; maybe because he was advised that similar shock-absorbing springs were in use on other instruments.   

But suggesting that Fecker had been making them previously, but keeping it a closely guarded secret, defies logic & good sense.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:25am:

I got the gun with the scope on it from a advanced scope collector who has hundreds of early scopes and he said the retaining system for the spring is completely different than the later Feckers used, and unlike anything else. He thought it was original, but since Fecker didn't advertise them, he couldn't confirm it either.

On what basis did he think it was original--i.e., something produced & installed by Fecker?  Had he seen the same spring on another early Fecker?  Though it very well may be "original," in the sense that it's a one-of-a-kind machinist-made assembly.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:47pm:

On what basis did he think it was original--i.e., something produced & installed by Fecker?  Had he seen the same spring on another early Fecker?  Though it very well may be "original," in the sense that it's a one-of-a-kind machinist-made assembly.

I'd guess your seeing an advertisement is enough proof that Unertl invented the recoil spring, or patented it? You seeing an advertisement seems as much a jump to say he invented it, as my scope having a spring. 
And what exactly did you mean when you posted that Unertl "invented" the recoil return spring, if you didn't mean he invented it? Seems like an obvious attempt to give him credit for the invention based solely on an advertisement.
But you are the "EXPERT", so we should take your advertisement as the proof. Think I'll pass.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:08pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:53pm:

I'd guess your seeing an advertisement is enough proof that Unertl invented the recoil spring, or patented it?

Seems like your reading comprehension is diminished today, to keep insisting that I said ONE SINGLE WORD about a Unertl patent for the device.    

What his advertisement DOES prove is that he was the first to MARKET them.  (July, 1934, Rifleman, to be exact.)  If you wish to cling to a crackpot theory that Fecker was REALLY the first to use them, though he refused to let his customers & the public know about it, be my guest. Clearly, you are deeply invested in believing the story you were told, & neither facts nor common sense are going to dissuade you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint