Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lyman STS spring (Read 10512 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman STS spring
Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Redsetter,

Lots of products have been, and still are, sold without having ever been publicly advertised.
Some still move from maker to buyer simply by word of mouth alone.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
You've shown me no facts or common sense to support your theory that it was John Unertl's idea. You are still insisting that based on an advertisement he was first to offer it, and "invented" it.
You wont accept that it could be anyone else based solely on not enough demand for anyone else to advertise them. That wont float my boat.
Not a case of diminished comprehension. It's a case of you've proved nothing, yet you expect your theory to be generally accepted based on no proof. If you'd said he might be one of the first, or he could be the first to advertise them, I'd be fine with that. But to push people towards believing he invented them is just too big a jump.
It's crap statements like this on the internet that end up being accepted as gospel once enough people see them and repeat them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:19pm:
Redsetter,

Lots of products have been, and still are, sold without having ever been publicly advertised.

Sure, that's possible, but by manufacturers that place heavy emphasis on advertising their products, as Fecker did?  Does it not strain your credulity to believe that he advertised every other product & service, offered to build custom scopes, & upgrade his older models, but somehow overlooked this ONE item?  And not a word in his catalogs, either?  That strikes you as reasonable?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:22pm:
You've shown me no facts or common sense to support your theory that it was John Unertl's idea.

Being not only first to market them (a fact), but the ONLY maker to market them for many yrs (another fact), doesn't constitute powerful evidence of his originality???  The device was favorably reviewed in the Rifleman Dope Bag column, and not a word was said about it being anything BUT a brand new product.  And if Fecker (a frequent Rifleman contributor...but I'm sure you know that!) had previously been selling them under the table, would he have kept his mouth shut about it after this free publicity given to Unertl?  My common sense says, "hell no."

My "crap statements" are based on countless hours of research in the Rifleman & other period sources, not only ads but "user reports," and study of original catalogs, your's on the "belief" of one individual who sold you the scope!  Whose would any rational person say were the crappiest?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
My point of view, regarding this is, that advertising, is one of the primary things that we, SS guys (and other historians) use to date objects and credit "first" to. 

Until we see something that predates Unertl's advertisement, I think we need to give him credit. 

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:48pm:
BP wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:19pm:
Redsetter,

Sure, that's possible, but by manufacturers that place heavy emphasis on advertising their products, as Fecker did?  Does it not strain your credulity to believe that he advertised every other product & service, offered to build custom scopes, & upgrade his older models, but somehow overlooked this ONE item?  And not a word in his catalogs, either?  That strikes you as reasonable?

Small initial product test runs with sales made to a selected small customer subsets without any public advertising have been used to examine potential market demand, and if the demand proves to be insufficient, production of the test item may be halted before heavy outlay has occurred.
If sufficient demand is demonstrated to exist, returned customer subset input can be used by R&D for desired prototype modifications, product variations, etc, and progress toward finalization of product specifications can proceed.
Market timing is important, and a very good product may well have to wait, sometimes for years, before potential customers finally get used to the idea and decide that the product is useful and worth acquiring.
The removable shotgun choke tube is a good example, having been designed before the Great Depression, but waiting decades before public acceptance finally created the demand necessary, before full scale production and mass public advertising actually occurred.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2018 at 2:59pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
As I said, and will repeat again! I'll gladly give Unertl credit for being first to advertise the product for sale. But that does not mean he should be credited for coming up with it. It's an assumption, and not based on facts.
It's not an earth shattering invention as it was never likely patented, so that in itself would explain why nobody else made mention of offering them, or complained when Unertl offered them in their catalog.
The fact that he advertised them first, or you don't have catalogs for other offerings still doesn't prove anything as to Unertl being the designer. It simply shows what it shows.
Fecker was indeed active in advertising, but his  ads are not full of new designs. They advertise his products and show he regularly advertised. What's missing from his ads should not be construed as products he didn't offer, but rather where his emphasis was.
I still think it's irresponsible to start an internet myth about Unertl designing the recoil spring until we have more proof he did so for sure. For now we only know he offered it in advertisements, not that he designed it.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
What's missing from his ads should not be construed as products he didn't offer, but rather where his emphasis was.

But missing from his CATALOGS?  He found room in the back of one his (undated) later ones to list high power eyepieces, extra reticles, leather cases, & extra-hardened blocks, but not the recoil spring he supposedly originated?   

Had Unertl obtained a pat., which Fecker contested on the grounds that he'd previously used the same idea on HIS scopes, the first piece of evidence Unertl's lawyer would bring into court would be a collection of Fecker ads & catalogs showing no such item offered for sale.  "Mr. Fecker, if as you claim you previously mfg. this item, how were you selling it?"

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
What's missing from his ads should not be construed as products he didn't offer, but rather where his emphasis was.

But missing from his CATALOGS?  He found room in the back of one his (undated) later ones to list high power eyepieces, extra reticles, leather cases, & extra-hardened blocks, but not the recoil spring he supposedly originated?  

Had Unertl obtained a pat., which Fecker contested on the grounds that he'd previously used the same idea on HIS scopes, the first piece of evidence Unertl's lawyer would bring into court would be a collection of Fecker ads & catalogs showing no such item offered for sale.  "Mr. Fecker, if as you claim you previously mfg. this item, how were you selling it?"

"Mister Lawyer, I was selling them to walk-in customers. The reason they aren't shown in my catalogs and advertising is that I had other 'higher demand' inventory I desired to sell that generated greater cumulative income for the business."

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:47pm:

You're somehow putting springs at a higher value than the items you listed above? How did you decide springs somehow rate higher in a catalog? And an undated catalog at that!???
And considering Unertl and Fecker had a very good relationship, even after Unertl went out on his own, you're also assuming Fecker thought so highly of the return spring he'd sue his friend and former employee? 
And the spring was such a big thing that Unertl never patented it!? Wonder why he never patented it if it was so important and he designed it???
You seem to be assuming a lot. Started out with assuming Unertl designed these first, and now assuming all sorts of other fictional situations. You've got a vivid imagination! What's next?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:00pm:
"Mister Lawyer, I was selling them to walk-in customers. The reason they aren't shown in my catalogs and advertising is that I had other 'higher demand' inventory I desired to sell that generated greater cumulative income for the business."

"Where are those walk-in customers" Unertl's lawyer would say, "let's get them on the witness stand."

He'd also say, "do you expect the court to believe that this product was SO insignificant that an extra half-dozen words in your catalog was too much trouble for you to take--esp. when the page on which other accessories were listed had plenty of blank space? Whereas Mr. Unertl obviously though the item was very significant, being the FIRST product he advertised, even before his scopes!"

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:09pm:

You're somehow putting springs at a higher value than the items you listed above? How did you decide springs somehow rate higher in a catalog?

Who said anything about "higher value"?  Merely another product, IF they were being produced, that is.  But in terms of usefulness to a Fecker scope customer, they probably would rate "higher" than "extra-hardened" blocks. 

Quote:
And considering Unertl and Fecker had a very good relationship, even after Unertl went out on his own...

And speaking of "assuming a lot," where's your evidence for that?  What is known for a fact (by those who make the effort to look into the matter) is that Unertl's first ads for his own scopes specified either Winchester or Stevens mounts, not those of Fecker, his neighbor only a few blocks down the same street.  Suggests "a very good relationship" to you?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
It was insignificant enough that Unertl didn't patent it? 
This whole scenario of a lawsuit is ridiculous! There wasn't any law suit between Fecker and Unertl, so why do you continue to run through scenarios for an event that never happened?
You know damn good and well that Fecker sold rings to Unertl for his scopes. Do you really believe that because he first offered Stevens and Winchester rings that it's some evidence they were on bad terms? Fecker would never have sold Unertl rings if they were on bad terms! Not at any time. Is this just more of your imagination trying to support your claim?
They were friends, and a little return spring would never have ended the friendship or caused a law suit!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:16pm:
BP wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:00pm:

"Where are those walk-in customers" Unertl's lawyer would say, "let's get them on the witness stand."

He'd also say, "do you expect the court to believe that this product was SO insignificant that an extra half-dozen words in your catalog was too much trouble for you to take--esp. when the page on which other accessories were listed had plenty of blank space? Whereas Mr. Unertl obviously though the item was very significant, being the FIRST product he advertised, even before his scopes!"

"Mister Lawyer, as you should know, advertising costs dollars. The items that I advertise provide a great per item profit margin than that spring currently does. I run a privately-owned business, and unlike the Government, I have to generate a profit to keep the doors open."

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:29pm:
marlinguy wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:09pm:

You're somehow putting springs at a higher value than the items you listed above? How did you decide springs somehow rate higher in a catalog?

Who said anything about "higher value"?  Merely another product, IF they were being produced, that is.  But in terms of usefulness to a Fecker scope customer, they probably would rate "higher" than "extra-hardened" blocks. 

Did every single Fecker customer desire to obtain a spring, before ever wishing to obtain hardened blocks?
Customer's have differing wants, desires, and budgets.

Quote:
And considering Unertl and Fecker had a very good relationship, even after Unertl went out on his own...

And speaking of "assuming a lot," where's your evidence for that?  What is known for a fact (by those who make the effort to look into the matter) is that Unertl's first ads for his own scopes specified either Winchester or Stevens mounts, not those of Fecker, his neighbor only a few blocks down the same street.  Suggests "a very good relationship" to you?

Was Fecker's production capabilities of mounts insufficient to be able to supply the needs for both himself and for Unertl, thereby requiring Unertl to find a source for mounts elsewhere from a supplier who had far greater total production capabilities?

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:49pm by BP »  

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint