Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ute Park Fire (Read 2794 times)
Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Ute Park Fire
Jun 3rd, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Any of you who know Bob Birmely in Cimarron, NM might want to give him a call.  There is a 16,500 acre fire burning just north of Cimarron and they've been forced to evacuate.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Chris
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ute Park Fire
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Thanks Chris and a real concern, Duane Jenner also lives right around the corner from Bob and I Pray both their properties go untouched. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
The fire had consumed 27,000 acres by 11 pm last night and it's still burning.  Right now it's pretty darned close to Cimarron.   

Chris
IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Yup. The NRA's Whittington Center on sight housing has been offered for displaced boy scouts and in general, people from the area.   A good deed. 
I am sure CNN and MSNBC will give the NRA some good press for their help in a time of need.  Roll Eyes Cool

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
I also just learned from Chris that  Bob had a knock on the door during the night and was told to pack a suit case and to leave now. So he was not able to grab anything else from what I understand and could now loose everything including all of his firearms and the same would hold true for Duane. So please Pray for all those fine folks in the community and anyone else who could be affected and please also include Bob and Duane. 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
CW truth be told and Sadly the only one who has the backbone to praise the NRA would probably just be Trump himself. I in my  67th. year of life have never seen so many in this country so unbelievably fearful of paddling up stream! They would much rather just continue going down stream and over the falls along with the rest of the blind now leading the way. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:37pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Prayers sent up.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I just sent an e-mail to the President suggesting he put out a Tweet about the generosity of the Whittington for stepping up and giving these folks free room and board until they can return home.  His Tweets seem to carry a WHOLE lot of weight!!!!!

Chris
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 4:04pm:
I just sent an e-mail to the President suggesting he put out a Tweet about the generosity of the Whittington for stepping up and giving these folks free room and board until they can return home.  His Tweets seem to carry a WHOLE lot of weight!!!!!

Great idea, Chris!
I hope he does put out a tweet giving Whittington full recognition for their kind aid and generosity to the evacuees.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Doubt he ever sees it.  Some low level staffer will read and round file it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 4:04pm:

There are times when you must CALL.  I (we) did it back in college (1969).  It took a dozen calls.  You may get lucky and get through to one of his secretaries.  Washington stays up late.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Any update on the fire?

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
The last update I read was 36,000+ acres and 23% contained.

Chris
IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 12:05am
Print Post  
A couple of other links for this and all fires going on now. Click on the fire information on the NIFC site and you can see how many crews and helos etc are being employed to fight each fire. I am watching the 416 fire north of Durango where my brother lives. 
After evacuating my mom from the Colorado Springs Waldo Canyon fire a few years ago and a year later evacuating ourselves from the Black Forest fire - I would encourage anyone who even remotely thinks a fire might be headed their way to get their important stuff out right then!!!! Go rent a motel room or possibly a storage locker in a safe area, pack up your RV/trailer and drive it to a safe RV spot, but get your important stuff out early. It takes time to evacuate and those fires move EXTREMELY fast - don't wait for the evac order. Don't wait for the dreaded knock on the door. At least get your stuff out early to a safe place and then see what happens. If it gets worse then get yourself out! Traffic congestion alone can could be fatal - almost was in the Waldo Canyon fire for a lot of people trapped on a city street trying to flee at the last minute. You can always go get your stuff from your safe stash later. Easier than trying to replace irreplaceable firearms etc.  This is the time of year to have a 'go pack' already by the door with back up flash drives, important documents, pictures, change of clothes, etc ready to grab so you have more time to get the firearms out. In another couple of weeks the idiots in charge of my town will be allowing fireworks to be sold in the Safeway parking lot.  Yeah seriously - I went to the town meeting last year to try and stop that but all I got was "...and loose that revenue from the vendor?"

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Just read a post from a friend who is an employee at the Whittington Center.  He, too, said they are gonna let some of the Cimarron folks go back into the area as well as some of the Scout Staff.  He said if the Scout staff determine it is safe then the scouts may return, but that is too early to tell at this point.

Folks in Ute Park are still on evac notice though. 

The firefighters are doing a great job and mother nature is giving them a hand.

Chris
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint