Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) historic Stevens (Read 17834 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: historic Stevens
Reply #60 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Just replace those buggered screws with allen-head or torx screws. If you use the stainless ones, you don't have to worry about bluing.    Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
And, those allen head, torkx, and phillips looks oh so, very, very nice on your old Ballard or Winchester. 'Specially in stainless.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Do you think the breech block should be jeweled to make all those stainless screws blend in better?     Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
How would a damascened breech block make any difference to, say, a tang screw? Now, a laminated stock would stand out, wouldn't it? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #64 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:46am
Print Post  
"That's why I'm going to miss Sears when they close the nearest store. Only Home Depot and Walmart screwdrivers may be available. Oh, and the Dollar Store."

I just saw an ad for Lowe's, looks like they're carrying Craftsman tools, so all may not be lost.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
It was bad enough that Kmart/Sears went off-shore to get most (all?) of the "Craftsman" line made.  But now in yet another effort to stop the company's financial bleeding, the "Craftsman" name has been sold.

If you were me and were fond of "Craftsman" tools, you'd start haunting eBay and the like for vintage nos or little-used examples.  It may take a while, but as popular as that line was, you will eventually find exactly what you want.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 8:38am
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:46am:
I just saw an ad for Lowe's, looks like they're carrying Craftsman tools, so all may not be lost.

I began seeing Craftsman tools at a local chain of hardware stores several yrs ago; this was after the nearest Sears store had already closed.

Selling a famous name is always the last (& most despicable) gasp of a dying company.  For ex., have recently seen TV ads for the cheapest kind of worthless junk being peddled under the once famous name of Bell & Howell.   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #67 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Craftsman began separating themselves from Sears when Sears and Kmart merged. My local Ace Hardware has been a Craftsman dealer for many years.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
I didn't mean a tang screw on the breech block- just any screw, wherever found on a gun. If they are other than traditional blue, slotted head screws, they are ugly. And, I don't care what anybody says. Sorry to confusticate you. Cry

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry, Marlinguy, but until they sold their best-known and -repected brand to Stanley-Black & Decker, Sears alone had owned Craftsman for 90 years.  What Sears got was $525 million up front, a promised $250 million at the end of 2020, and an annual payment through 2032 based on a percentage of SBD's yearly Craftsman sales; all-in-all, an estimated $900 million dollars.

What you are referring to was a loosening of Sear's policies after the Sears-Kmart merger, yet an earlier attempt to get more money from the Craftsman line by letting selected others sell it.

Sadly, no matter what they have done or will do, Sears will likely die; and I say it's mainly the fault of today's consumers, who no longer seem to know the difference between "price" and "value".

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #70 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
When the Craftsmen name started appearing on inferior products and the no exchange policy became the rule Sears may as well close the doors. Sad that a once notable store known for quality would throw away their primary sales incentive....stupid is as stupid does.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #71 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
The opening up of exclusivity of the Craftsman brand at only Sears store was indeed a way to make money for the faltering Sears stores, but it was always part of their plan at Sears and the Craftsman division to save the Craftsman brand name. A later sale was just the final step towards Craftsman becoming totally separated from Sears, but that too was always their plan from the beginning of Sears merger with Kmart, and what will become the final demise of Sears/Kmart.
Unfortunately Craftsman brand is not the same tools we loved decades ago! I used to buy broken Craftsman wrenches at garage sales and turn them in for new. But the last new 1/2" ratchet I got felt horrible, with heavy and crunchy clicks. I handed it back to the salesman and asked if he had more in his drawer. He eventually handed me a repaired one that felt good, and I've never bought any broken ones to exchange again. Just get poor quality if I did, so why bother?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Worst result of failure of Sears, K-Mart, Penny's, other brick & mortar stores, is the added business going to left-wing Amazon, & its super-liberal billionaire owner Jeff Bezos. Like Google & Facebook, their profits help support the left-wing agenda, such as Google's contributions to the Brady Campaign, & Facebook's campaign against "hate-groups," their name for many right-wing orgs.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
If Sears had truly wanted to "save the Craftsman brand name", they would have kept the quality of the tools high, and they certainly wouldn't have sold the brand to Stanley-Black & Decker, another merger of once-highly-respected names that now increasingly chooses price-point and profit over quality.  So very, very sad!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #74 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 5:33pm:
If Sears had truly wanted to "save the Craftsman brand name", they would have kept the quality of the tools high, and they certainly wouldn't have sold the brand to Stanley-Black & Decker, another merger of once-highly-respected names that now increasingly chooses price-point and profit over quality.  So very, very sad!

Bill Lawrence

Unfortunately the companies are just giving the American public what they want and expect. Cheap crap at bargain prices. Although many of us would gladly pay for good quality that lasts, we're in the minority. 
Decades of low quality Chinese made crap has indoctrinated a whole generation to accepting that's the new standard, so we're looked at as dinosaurs for wanting the quality we knew when we were young!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint