Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) historic Stevens (Read 17822 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: historic Stevens
Reply #30 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Frank, my Fecker is marked Cleveland on the tube, and mounts are not Fecker, but Winchester. I don't believe an early Fecker would have those mounts, and the tube should have the Cleveland address.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 6:04pm:
I just did a Google search on the fellow that owned it. I got this about the very same rifle: RIA, the auction site marketed the gun on 6/12/08 (I don't know how to do links), and at that time it included a shooting box as well as the rifle. There is some info about the owner who worked for Stevens for a very long time. Apparently a fine shooter, he won a bunch of shooting matches and also had a pretty special collection of other guns. 
I wonder what became of the "kit" in the box?

What, indeed! Hard to believe anyone with the dough to buy it in the RI auction would be so crazy as to separate the gun from the kit. Wonder if Merz knows anything about it.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 7:25pm:
Frank, my Fecker is marked Cleveland on the tube, and mounts are not Fecker, but Winchester. I don't believe an early Fecker would have those mounts, and the tube should have the Cleveland address.

Just checked one I have & it too has the Cleveland-marked mounts but a post-Cleveland tube.  Only logical interpretation is that a quantity of mounts were produced & marked in Cleveland, then carried over to the new Pittsburgh facility and used until new Pittsburgh-marked mounts could be obtained.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
My tube has no marking on it, other than the the markings pictured. Here are the other picture of it.

Clarence & Vall, what are your serial numbers?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #34 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Nice Gun 
You think Leroy would give me a family discount?

40 Rod AKA John Merz

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 11:28pm:

Frank

#1414--and to further confuse the matter, it has the later style adjusting sleeve.  However, this one was returned after its original construction to have a 1-1/8" objective installed, & so I assume that the "improved" sleeve was added at the same time.  Whoever did this evidently acquired also one of the rarely seen wooden cases Fecker supplied when one was requested--not as nicely built as Lyman's cases, I must say, but adequate for the purpose.   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 11:28pm:
My tube has no marking on it, other than the the markings pictured. Here are the other picture of it.

Frank

My Cleveland, Oh. marked scope is #825. It is the straight tube 8x with no belled objective.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
John, you get the family discount the same way I'll get a finder's fee. But, if you DO end up with it, can I just shoot it a little?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #38 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 6:04pm:
I just did a Google search on the fellow that owned it. I got this about the very same rifle: RIA, the auction site marketed the gun on 6/12/08 (I don't know how to do links), and at that time it included a shooting box as well as the rifle. There is some info about the owner who worked for Stevens for a very long time. Apparently a fine shooter, he won a bunch of shooting matches and also had a pretty special collection of other guns. 
I wonder what became of the "kit" in the box? Price was lower ten years ago than Merz is asking- open to negotiation? Dunno, but even if he were, it's still outta my range. 
With all the other confusion about the Stevens guns, and on one that's clearly special construction, why the importance of that stamp on the frame that they so carefully hid?

I also can't imagine anyone separating a shooting kit from a gun, but it's tough to say it can't or hasn't happened. Especially when  dealer gets involved and they see dollar signs from somebody who offers big money for the shooter's kit.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Decades ago I attended a sale where the auctioneer had separated a high-condition and -grade Maynard from its factory case with accessories And a user-assembled shooting kit.  I and my two friends asked why and were told "I'll get more money that way."  We argued his position, calmly I thought, but as others started to listen in, he had us removed from the site.

Apparently, for some, greed has always been good.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 8:30pm:
Decades ago I attended a sale where the auctioneer had separated a high-condition and -grade Maynard from its factory case with accessories And a user-assembled shooting kit.  I and my two friends asked why and were told "I'll get more money that way."  We argued his position, calmly I thought, but as others started to listen in, he had us removed from the site.

Apparently, for some, greed has always been good.

Bill Lawrence

Me too  Cry  Same reason.   He thought the tools with a Pope rifle would bring more separately than all together.

Fortunately I don't think the false muzzle will bring more separated.   Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I am looking at the numbers and the Stevens name and it all looks like it was engraved.  I don't know what was done by the factory back then but I would have thought that some of it would have been Roll Stamped.  Can someone shed some light on what was done?  Thanks,  David

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #42 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
n.r.davis wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:52pm:
I am looking at the numbers and the Stevens name and it all looks like it was engraved.  I don't know what was done by the factory back then but I would have thought that some of it would have been Roll Stamped.  Can someone shed some light on what was done?  Thanks,  David

It's tough to compare a custom gun to what was done on factory standard models. I've often seen high end engraved guns get an engraved serial number and engraved markings when others were stamped. It's just another level of embellishment.
And since the owner worked at Stevens when it was built, I'd guess he could easily get special features.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:56pm:
It's tough to compare a custom gun to what was done on factory standard models. I've often seen high end engraved guns get an engraved serial number and engraved markings when others were stamped. It's just another level of embellishment.
And since the owner worked at Stevens when it was built, I'd guess he could easily get special features.

He sure 'nuff got what he wanted in the two main engraving subjects: the bulldog & horsehead, both highly unusual on guns.  A bulldog breeder or fancier?  Esp. unusual that horse is depicted wearing a halter--maybe suggesting an interest in racing?  These are questions that anyone buying the gun from his family, if that's where it came from, should have had the brains to ask, if they weren't thinking only of the profit to be made by reselling them.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
The quality of the animals is what floored me. Most relief figures in steel don't get that finely done. Mint quality? 
You can sure tell it wowed me, because I usually just gloss over Stevens rifles. Hadda share that one here, though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint