Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) historic Stevens (Read 17838 times)
jgill46
Participating Member

Re: historic Stevens
Reply #45 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Gorgeous!  Too bad there are several buggered screws on it.  I guess the seller overlooked them.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
To expand on Calledflyer's last comments. what interests me most is that the dog is rendered so exactly that he's clearly either an American Pit Bull Terrier or its derivative an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier.  Again to me this strongly supports that the likeness was cut specifically to order, and probably from a photo.  If so, the earlier comment about the horse's uncommonly-found bridle suggesting a cut-to order true likeness makes even more sense.  Well-heeled or much admired first owner, indeed!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #47 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
jgill46 wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 9:57pm:
Gorgeous!  Too bad there are several buggered screws on it.  I guess the seller overlooked them.

You're kidding, right? You call those screws buggered? After 100 years of existence, I'd say those screw slots are pretty darn nice condition myself.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Yes, there are about a half-dozen buggered screws.  But not one is so bad that at least I couldn't repair it without welding and refinish it so you'd never know.

In short, "Forgidabotit!," as Mr. Soprano used to say.

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2018 at 10:04pm by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #49 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I sure wouldn't waste a minute's time touching those screws. This is a buggered screw!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Heck, if I'd known that kind of screw was a special feature, I'd have got a lot more money for them Colts I sold.  Cry

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #51 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 12:02pm:
Heck, if I'd known that kind of screw was a special feature, I'd have got a lot more money for them Colts I sold.  Cry

I just realized how bad some of my gun screws were! All this time I thought they looked pretty decent, and now I found out they're all boogered up!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Form over function guy here. If a screwdriver will work without slipping, the damn screw is perfectly good. 
SmileyI hate a bad phillips screwdriver worse than a blade one. Ever try to fix a phillips?

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Ever try to fix a phillips?

Sure, you put it in an indexing head mounted at the proper angles to your broach, cut new surfaces, then throw it away and go to Sears.

Aaron
I've found it's very hard to wear out a Klein screwdriver, my favorite.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
That's why I'm going to miss Sears when they close the nearest store. Only Home Depot and Walmart screwdrivers may be available. Oh, and the Dollar Store.  Angry

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 3:05pm:
Ever try to fix a phillips?

Sure, you put it in an indexing head mounted at the proper angles to your broach, cut new surfaces, then throw it away and go to Sears.

Aaron
I've found it's very hard to wear out a Klein screwdriver, my favorite.

Don't forget Harbor Frieght a d take your coupons to get 25% off and your free flashlight  Grin

Kliens can be worn out but it takes more turns than a gunsmith will ever make.  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I've never used Kleins, but have used the same set of Chapman bits for over 40 years.  The set wasn't new when I got it either (the Midget Ratchet is case-hardened-in-color carbon steel).   Now I did finally manage to chip one of the thinnest blades, which the company replaced for free.  But wear them out?  Not hardly!

But then we all know that the best hollow-ground screwdrivers are worth every last penny we pay for them, whatever their source or brand name.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #57 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
When I started in the trade in 1974 every electrician I saw used Klein screwdrivers, and I did too. But towards the end of my career in the early 2000's Klein got pretty crappy about supporting their lifetime warranty, and I began to buy other brands. 
I still have a lot of Klein tools leftover from my working days, and they're still in great shape. But for gunsmith work I use either my Brownells screwdriver set or Chapman set. The Chapman are a bit brittle, but the Brownells are a bit soft. Neither set is perfect for me

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
The Klein screw-sticks I have are not hollow ground, I don't use them on guns either.
Everything else though.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 5:12pm:
I've never used Kleins, but have used the same set of Chapman bits for over 40 years.  The set wasn't new when I got it either (the Midget Ratchet is case-hardened-in-color carbon steel). 

Can't believe I didn't get one of the CC ratchets, as I ordered the set the first time I saw their ad in the Rifleman--easily 40 yrs ago.  Have twisted the tips of a few of the very smallest, but just bought replacements. Though I later acquired the full Brownell's set, I find I still use the Chapman bits more often.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint