Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) historic Stevens (Read 17794 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: historic Stevens
Reply #15 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 9:19pm:

Also, that's a very nice first or second year Fecker.

Frank

Don't think it's nearly that early Frank without his Cleveland address? My early Fecker is marked Cleveland as all early ones were.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 9:32am:
frnkeore wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 9:19pm:

Also, that's a very nice first or second year Fecker.

Frank

Don't think it's nearly that early Frank without his Cleveland address? My early Fecker is marked Cleveland as all early ones were.

The Cleveland address was used until sometime after June of 1926, which was when Fecker took possession of the Brashear Optics plant in Pittsburgh & moved his operations there.  However, this scope is built with the "old style" parallax adjusting sleeve, which makes it look like one of the Cleveland-built scopes.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:24pm:

Looks like a custom rifle by a long time Stevens employee.  54 plate, Pope lever? 52 stock. Palm rest is mounted aft more than other factor rifles. #54 is wrong.

It's always wrong to try to affix regular catalog names or numbers on custom built guns; unless you think it proper to pound square pegs into round holes.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I didn't look at every picture and didn't see a address on the mounts. I was going by the adjustment sleeve. This was my early Fecker, it did have the Cleveland address on the mounts.

As Redsetter alludes to, if the mounts don't have the Cleveland address, they may not be the ones that came with the scope.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I would say, after it's been examined here, that the rifle should be listed as a custom Stevens rifle (or maybe a 52), not a Model 54. I think for it to be a called a 54, it would need to have the straight grip, with the extra features.

But, the real determining factor, is WHAT is marked on the face of the frame! He doesn't show that.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
When did Lyman make a "pope style Lyman folding tang sight" ?    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:29pm:
I didn't look at every picture and didn't see a address on the mounts. I was going by the adjustment sleeve. This was my early Fecker, it did have the Cleveland address on the mounts.

As Redsetter alludes to, if the mounts don't have the Cleveland address, they may not be the ones that came with the scope.

Frank

Frank, the Cleveland address would be marked on the tube, not the mounts.  In fact, during the time he worked in Cleveland, he mostly used Stevens & Winchester mounts, or whatever a customer sent him. Not until 1925 did he get his own mounts into production.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:09pm:
When did Lyman make a "pope style Lyman folding tang sight" ?    Wink

A creative interpretation of the #47 windage stem--the square shape does make it look a little like a Pope.  You'd think Goyette would have chosen a Stevens sight, so this tang sight, like the scope, may be additions by subsequent owners. 

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:15pm:
Several things wrong in the description. Another is "Helm type butt".

If you're looking for a certain model like a correct factory #52 it aint the one. Johnny Cash would appreciate it.

Joe.  

Joe,

That description seems to contain a lot of the wording one sees contained in many evil-bay type descriptions.    Shocked

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:29pm:
frnkeore wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 12:29pm:

Frank

Frank, the Cleveland address would be marked on the tube, not the mounts.  In fact, during the time he worked in Cleveland, he mostly used Stevens & Winchester mounts, or whatever a customer sent him. Not until 1925 did he get his own mounts into production.

Red,
My front mount was marked Cleveland.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 2:40pm:
That description seems to contain a lot of the wording one sees contained in many evil-bay type descriptions.   

Merz was probably skilled in such wording long before ebay was created.

But one thing he doesn't say much about is the evidence that the gun had once belonged to Goyette.   

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Remember, kids, this is Leroy Merz were dealing with here.  And aside from being at least a hunnert-n-lebenty-seven years old, like that other Minnesota boy, the one who specializes in single shots but too often seems to check for condition through very dark rose-colored glasses, Leroy's object is to sell guns, and let's not allow facts to get in the way of that.

But if you look at their sites, eyebrow-raising prices aside, both keep too many guns for longer than is good for business.  Maybe there's not so many deep-pocket yokels out there after all.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
As Frank already mentioned, a picture of the markings stamped on the face of the frame should be provided.

Looking at the 4th picture that shows the Lyman #47 stem (or possibly Lyman 52A sight if purchased as a complete tang sight), the front tang sight mounting screw slot looks buggered (more so than other screw slots) as if the sight has been on and off a number of times, or switched over from other Stevens rifles.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 4:15pm:
\And aside from being at least a hunnert-n-lebenty-seven years old

Was wondering myself if there could be a "Junior" involved who was masquerading as "the original." 

Must say, however, that Merz can be considered "Honest Abe," or young George Washington holding the hatchet, compared to that "other" guy.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I just did a Google search on the fellow that owned it. I got this about the very same rifle: RIA, the auction site marketed the gun on 6/12/08 (I don't know how to do links), and at that time it included a shooting box as well as the rifle. There is some info about the owner who worked for Stevens for a very long time. Apparently a fine shooter, he won a bunch of shooting matches and also had a pretty special collection of other guns. 
I wonder what became of the "kit" in the box? Price was lower ten years ago than Merz is asking- open to negotiation? Dunno, but even if he were, it's still outta my range. 
With all the other confusion about the Stevens guns, and on one that's clearly special construction, why the importance of that stamp on the frame that they so carefully hid?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint