Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Model 1885 from the CGCA. (Read 2317 times)
DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Model 1885 from the CGCA.
May 29th, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I picked this 1885  up at the recent CGCA in Denver. My first time there. I credit Vall as every time we talked I asked him about the show. He gets me all excited and I decided to go this year. WOW !!! On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate it as a 15 easy. The biggest show I have been to in my life. It wasn't cheap with the airfare and hotel and all ( from south jersey ) but it sure was worth it. Got to finally meet Vall and what a great guy. Also was able to meet Tom Quigley (loading tool guy), Greg (GT) on our forum, and Tom Rowe. Great guys, all of them. About this low wall, it has lots of special order features. It's in 32-20 WCF. Has a pistol grip stock which is of the earlier uncapped style of plain walnut, uncheckered. #2 weight bbl. which is 30" in length. ( standard was #1 weight with a 28" bbl. in this caliber ) Set trigger and small swiss buttplate. Has Mid range Vernier and Beech sights. And what is so neat is that my serial number search from Cody list every one of these features. Now I have a question for the Winchester experts who might want to weigh in : What exactly do I have ? Did someone special order all these features on a plain sporting rifle or could it be a "Special Sporting" low wall without the checkering ? Any guesses ? Vall was kind enough to ship this rifle to me. Didn't want or need the hassel from the airlines. Thanks again Vall. Owe you one. Oh, by the way, I saw the rifles he got and they sure are nice. Espically that #6 Ballard. Beautiful !!   Dale.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2018 at 7:35pm by DWT1885 »  

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Model 1885 from the CGCA.
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2018 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
One of my great pleasures at the CGCA show was meeting Dale finally! We talk on the phone and also email each other, so putting a face to the voice was great! Dale and his son are really good people, but I knew that already from our conversations and dealings.
The Low Wall is really a neat gun, and one of the few I've seen letter with every single feature mentioned in the letter, right down to the sights and plain pistol grip.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Neat rifle!

I would guess that it is a regular sporting rifle with a lot of features, but I'm not an expert.   

Campbell's first book does have a picture of a non-checkered Special Sporting single shot though.  Interestingly I haven't seen pictures in either of his books of a Special Sporting rifle with a Swiss buttplate.  Yours seems to have features from the Special Sporting and the Special Single Shot rifles.

Chris.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
And in those days the most wonderful thing was that within reason you could get from the factory no less whatever you were willing to pay for.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Very nice Low Wall Dale !  I just picked up a rifle in the exact same configuration chambered for .25-20 SS.  They just look nice.

Nicely done ...
Joe

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Great pickup, very nice low wall!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I owned one very similar to Dale's 1885, except mine had 3x wood and no checkering. But mine also didn't letter as to sights like Dale's does!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint