Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Too much gun? (Read 17718 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Too much gun?
Reply #30 - May 26th, 2018 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Notice that adjustment technique eliminates the need for  a palm rest  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - May 26th, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
My BIL and I were in the country around Cayce KY hunting ground hogs many years ago. We were using his 264 Winchester Magnum, [don't want to be under gunned]. I was sitting in the car when I saw the grandpa of the family sitting in his burrow with half his body exposed. I took the rifle and looked thru the scope. The hog had not seen or paid no attention the  car. I pulled the trigger and the hill exploded in a cloud of dust. I just had to see a big the critter was but when I climbed the hill the rodent was no where in sight but there was bits of copper sprayed around the entrance of the burrow. Then I realized what had happened. The bullet hit a weed in front of the burrow about a quarter inch in diameter and shattered. The hog was lucky that day.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 26th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
If a .264 Win failed to kill that stick, how'd they manage to kill all those antelope and deer, etc.?

My guess: you hit that rock that was sitting there a foot in front of him. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - May 26th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
No rocks but I did see the weed neatly cut off by the 264. My BIL killed several deer with the rifle, both white tail  & mule. He and his wife traveled the west when the Govt was building all the Nike sites in the western states. He was an electrician. He marked the base of a case with finger nail polish, reloaded it and kept it first in the rifle each time he went hunting. He killed several deer with the same case. My wife and I visited them when they were in Tucson, AR. We hunted javelina in the desert but never saw any. We came across places where the pigs had been rooting around and we could even smell them but never got a shot. I do think the 264 could have dispatched them to little piggy heaven.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - May 26th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I used to shoot a lot of "rockchucks" Yellow Bellied Marmots at an elevation of less than 3000 ft. just north of Mt. Shasta California, near Weed. My grandparents lived in Mt. Shasta where my grandfather was the only plumber for miles. Thus he knew a lot of the locals, and sent me to a rancher who was more than glad to have me thin his herd. At that time, used a 222 Rem.mag. that was more than adequate, as the chucks holed up in and beneath fence rows made up of volcanic rock from fields cleared for growing hay, and most of the shots were 100 to 300 yards. The only rule was head shots only, as a way to assure future opportunities. The largest chuck I ever shot weighed a verified 16 lbs, at the local pharmacy (owned by my grandmother) it was called Windsor's. A good friend Lee Six used a 22 Harvey Rockchuck, Named after Stu Harvey. It was a shortened 284 winchester necked to 22 caliber. It was a lot of cartridge for the ranges I would shoot, but not for the 4 to 5 hundred yard shots Lee Would take. Like Westerner, I can no longer shoot anything unless of coarse I felt threatened by those long front teeth! Then all bets are off. I look back favorably on those days spent in the shadow of beautiful Mount Shasta. These were single shot rifles, but not in the traditional sense. I did shoot quite a few with trditional single shots, Stevens in 25-20ss and 25-21 at much shorter ranges as they are fairly tough animals even when attempting head shots. My favorite rifle for this type of shooting is a Joe Pfeifer Sharps Borchardt in 220 Saunders Krag (a rimmed 22-250), stocked by Monty Kennedy in a beautiful piece of Oregon Myrtle, and superbly accurate. All this said I personally do not believe there is such a thing as over kill, dead is final, regardless of how you get there, a 22 rimfire or a Six Hundred Nitro.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - May 26th, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing Rkba2nd and I could not agree more and we all lost a real good Man when we all lost Stu.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - May 26th, 2018 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
We did indeed J. ,louis. And I might add they are getting harder and harder to find.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint