Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remington marked barrel (Read 2746 times)
sportslube
Oldtimer

Remington marked barrel
May 10th, 2018 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Need insight on the barrel.   The barrel is stamped remington  on the lower flat this is off of a percussion 50 cal muzzle loader. 37 inches long the flats are 1/2 inch straight no taper.  Percussion done by drum and nipple like it was converted from flint

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington marked barrel
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2018 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
One of the things Remington was famous for was making barrels back in the early 1800s. The brand has existed since 1816, so it may be an old. old part. Or, it could be something else. 
Back in the time when guns were hand made, the smith might acquire a lock from one source, the barrel from somewhere else and other parts as he saw fit, until he had enough to make the product. Assembled guns. Later, early automobiles were sometimes produced the same way.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2018 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Remington must have sold a great many barrel blanks 'cause I've seen and owned lots of them. I currently have one on a California rifle. I was told they were sold with the bore drilled, so then the gunsmith drilled, reamed and rifled it. They must have sold them in different sizes 'cause a friend had a Brockway rifle with a big heavy barrel marked "Remington Cast Steel."

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
The the easiest way to convert from flint to percussion is  the drum and nipple method, but it was also  the easiest (and cheapest) way to build a new percussion rifle. Thousands of percussion rifles were built using this method. Henry Leman was one of the most prolific makers of percussion rifles in the 19th century and the great majority of his rifles were of the drum and nipple method. Look closely between the rear sight and breech to see if there are any markings , this is where the makers signed their guns....Ed

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Remington started out in business as strictly a barrel maker, so it's pretty common to find muzzleloaders with Remington marked barrels. Probably very rare to find a gun made completely by Remington in his early years.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Schutzenbob&calledflier,I believe you are right about Remington and their barrel making from all I have read.I have a Remington cast steel barrel(as stamped) on flat of barrel.It measures 34 7/16" in length,octagon with flat-flat measurement of1.483".Bore is perfect and never rifled,with what is a cleaning rod groove running from muzzle to breech--this looking as if cast when barrel was made as intergral to barrel.The bore measures =.365".The name stamped on left flat adjacent to top flat is A.P.Wood.I have no references for him.I also have a forged breech plug which is original to barrel as purchased 40yrs ago.I've seen several of these barrels in past.

YIM  
IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
The bottom flat of this barrel is marked "Remington Cast Steel."

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Fritz wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:17pm:
Schutzenbob&calledflier,I believe you are right about Remington and their barrel making from all I have read.I have a Remington cast steel barrel(as stamped) on flat of barrel.It measures 34 7/16" in length,octagon with flat-flat measurement of1.483".Bore is perfect and never rifled,with what is a cleaning rod groove running from muzzle to breech--this looking as if cast when barrel was made as intergral to barrel.The bore measures =.365".The name stamped on left flat adjacent to top flat is A.P.Wood.I have no references for him.I also have a forged breech plug which is original to barrel as purchased 40yrs ago.I've seen several of these barrels in past. 

Wood, Amos P. North Hamden, New York 1850-1882

That sound like a pretty heavy barrel, probably made for a target rifle, shooting a bullet. These rifles usually had back action locks and no fore arm. Bullet barrels became popular in the east after Alvan Clark of Cambridge Massachusettswas granted a patent for the false muzzle in 1840....Ed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint