Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Jumped into the 25-20SS game (Read 2344 times)
50target

Jumped into the 25-20SS game
May 9th, 2018 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Bought a Stevens 44 in that caliber simply cause I came by some vintage brass when buying some 25-20wcf back in 2016. Tried to get it out of my system but no luck. I annealed the necks, primed them with a Lee priming tool, a little flair with needle nose pliers, crimped with Lee FCD out of my wcf set with 7.0 gr IMR 4227 And 87 gr Missouri cast boolit. Only had 9 rounds of brass but at 50 yds had 6 RDS you could cover with a guarter. That did it. Now have a proper die set and brass & ammo on the way. There is another Stevens 44 on GB within 200 numbers of my gun with same sights, Lyman tang and Beech front. Life is good. Bore is 9 out of 10. Love shooting these old single shots.
Bob

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Re: Jumped into the 25-20SS game
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2018 at 1:17am
Print Post  
For my 25/20 ss I don't need dies, crimping or anything else, I breach seat with a plugged case, cases last forever and accuracy comes alive.

IP Logged

50target

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2018 at 1:41am
Print Post  
I am going to try that one of these days. Scared of screwing something up. Don't mind that as much as the thought I will damage my gun. Might try to find a video.
Bob

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2018 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Not much to screw up when breech seating a 25-20 SS in a Stevens 44 action.

You push out the old primer and seat a new one.  I use an old Ideal tong tool for that, but you can use a regular loading press.  My Stevens 44 works much better with pistol primers than with rifle primers.   Mainspring is rather wimpy.

Load a mild charge of appropriate powder, something like 4227.  You may want to use a wad in the case mouth to keep the powder from spilling.  No need for dies at all.

The bullet seater is an old case (using a new one is OK) with a piece of 1/4-inch wood dowel in the case, from the base to about 1/16" longer than the neck.   

Bullet works best if mostly lead (25:1 or softer) and if it is tapered.  Drop the bullet in the chamber.  Follow with the plugged case.  Close the action.  The 44 action will push the plugged case into the chamber and will seat the bullet properly.  Then open the action and extract the plugged case.

When you are ready to shoot, insert the case loaded with powder only.  You are ready to shoot.

The worst thing that has happened to me is that the primer failed to go off and the wad stayed in the chamber.  Extracting the case sprinkled 4227 all through the action.  That ended shooting for the day.

IP Logged

50target

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Waterman, that is pretty simple. Maybe I can't screw it up.
I have to resolve an issue first. Bought some Jamison ammo& pulled that awful looking spitzer. I then chambered the case & extraction was. difficult. Got the case out & measured length& was in specs. Noticed I had scratches around the neck, assuming when it chambered  up in the neck part of the chamber.  Will clean chamber real good but looks neck area needs some polishing.

Thanks for the BS  instructions.

Bob

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
You'll have fun shooting the .25's. I always have. You may want to consider getting into casting and maybe getting a custom mold in addition to breech seating. But I guess I am getting ahead of myself here. Just start out having fun shooting the old rifle. Getting ultimate accuracy can come later as you get the shooting bug more seriously.
Concerning those necks. Maybe they were forced open when the bullets were seated in the case or pulled. Maybe if you just sized the necks they would go right in the chamber. Just an idea.

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I had a problem with roughly half of my Jamison cases. They had a cylindrical section from the base up 7/16" that should have been tapered. Ran them into a .309 NOE bullet size die far enough to give some taper. Also had to neck turn them, a bit too thick. Monday is the day for 1st firing of the lined barrel.

IP Logged

50target

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2018 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Shot the Jamison ammo Friday. Pulled those awful looking spitzers and loaded 10 with Rem. 87gr jsp & 10 with 87gr cast. The neck area in the chamber was putting scratches on the rass & extraction was cleaning rod down the bore. Polished the chamber with an old case & abrasive and got 90% better. Accuracy was good as I had 7 of my 10 cast you could cover with a quarter at 50 yds. She is a sweetie. W
Load work to be done with IMR 4227. I will check the Jamison neck thickness against some old REM-UMC.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint