Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1885 40-70 value (Read 8191 times)
zeke

1885 40-70 value
May 3rd, 2018 at 10:45am
Print Post  
     Hello:

At the auction Sunday, there is a vey nice 1885 Winchester HW in 40-70 Ballard.  it also has about 100 orginal cases and a set of RCBS dies. It has a number 3 octagon barres that is 30" long and a SST.

What should I expect to pay for this rifle and is it a good buy.  Could the barrel be rechambered and rebored to 45-70?

Thoughts and comments?

Tia,

zeke

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 1885 40-70 value
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Considering how rare a Win. 1885 in a Ballard caliber is, you'd ruin the gun's value reboring it! Why would you change it after buying a rare caliber 1885? The .40-70 Ballard is an easy caliber to make from .405 Win. brass, and I'd leave it as is, unless the bore was junk.
As for what it might sell for, that's almost impossible to say without pictures. Your idea of "very nice" and mine might be different. I know I've had enough guys tell me they have a really nice gun, and then I see it and wonder if it's the same gun?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2018 at 11:05am
Print Post  
     Hi Marlinguy:

I thought of reboring for several reason like if the bore was ruined, cases and components very difficult to source etc.  I was under the impression that the 45-70 case was too small for proper extraction.  The rifle in question is a 40-70 Ballard.

I an not planning to flip the gun for profit but want it to play with as my 85 in 32-40.  That is why I asked about the amount thta I shou bid.  I only saw one other 40-70 Ballard 85 for sale, and the asking price was $3250.00 with no bids.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

zeke

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I'm confused now. Why make it a .45-70 if you were under the impression the .45-70 was too small for proper extraction? Or did you mean the .405 Win.?
The rim of a .40-70 Ballard is .555" and a .405 is .543" I have never had any issues with any of my Ballards in .40-70 not extracting .405 cases. it's only .013" difference, which means it's .0065" per side. Gun has other problems if it wont handle that difference.
I'd also wonder about a gun that's described as "very nice" if the bore was bad? That doesn't add up to a very nice gun to me?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
If that rifle is "nice" it's worth saving- as is. If it's better than nice, jump on it fast. 

Too many possible points of decision to assess here. Condition of finish, mechanics, possible options and sights, etc. 
Also, check to see that it really is original stuff- who knows from what you tell us if it's already got a new barrel or something? Dunno. Good luck.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 10:57am:
The .40-70 Ballard is an easy caliber to make from .405 Win. brass, and I'd leave it as is, unless the bore was junk.

Even if the bore is junk, changing the chambering from what's marked on the brl. puts a bad hurt on the gun--especially among Winchester collectors. A quality lining job back to .40 would be greatly preferable, & cost no more, maybe less.

But if "playing with" the gun is your intention, an awful lot of playing can be done with quite a pitted bore! If jacketed bullets of the right size can be found, the pitting becomes almost irrelevant. I turned a true sewer-bore .32 Spl. HW into a sub-2 MOA shooter by using slightly oversize (8mm) jacketed bullets. 

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Those high walls in .32 spl, didn't grow on trees either. Good save.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
rebarrel it and save the old barrel and forend    same cost as a rebore and protect the value   art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Totally argree with Art and if doing the work yourself you can get a pre-profiled and polished blank of your liking that can also be made to fit your forearm from CPA at a very reasonable price and real joy to work with. They are actually ready to blue or rust blue when all of the machine work has been completed if properly protected when doing so. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2018 at 2:38pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 1:50pm:
rebarrel it and save the old barrel and forend 

Somewhere down the line, separated parts usually get separated permanently--isn't that the source of many spare parts found on-line & at shows?  When the wife or kid sells all your junk in an auction or to a dealer, those folks, I promise you, have zero interest in keeping original parts together when they know their profit is increased by selling them separately. Many might think, "I'll be dead, why should I care?"  To that attitude, I have no answer, but I'd hate to see it happen to anything that has meant a lot to me. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 1:47pm:
Those high walls in .32 spl, didn't grow on trees either.

Was one of those early-smokeless guns made c.1900 when hardly anyone, even the US Army, realized that the salt from corrosive primers could ONLY be removed with water, not the new "nitro" solvents that were being hyped as all the smokeless shooter needed for bore care.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Zeke, save that rifle if you can. They're only original once. 
Redsetter and I sometimes disagree, but I'm fully in accord with him here. 
Lots of already messed with rifle out there- get one of those and further tweak it. Keep the collectible ones, especially the scarce ones, for what they are.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Red, I've got a .30US version that left the factory in 1895- probably one of the earliest ones in that caliber. If the bore was any better, it'd be new. My ol' .32-40 is even older, and it's barrel is also pristine. I know the old primer stories, even have collected old ammo, but I think that those that took good care of their rifles in the old days left these. The other ones were from lazy folks, or later guys who didn't care about these 'old guns' any more. Additionally, I think the East coast guns and others stored for years with uncleaned barrels suffered more than the ones out here might have. Have a friend who owns a '73 Winchester that was found in a closet of an abandoned house here in Nevada. Empty since the early thirties, from the depression. Great shooter it is- especially for free. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Understand the concern but all we were really talking about is setting aside a barrel and easy enough to keep track of and not a full muzzle loading rifle and its shooting kit. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Nah, john, it'll be a rifle in it's case or safe, a barrel stuck in a corner out of the way, and an extractor stuffed into a drawer somewhere else. Perfect conditions to lose yet another fine rifle to the 'modify it to suit yourself, we don't need history' movement. 
Then, in another hundred years, they'll be writing a book that says that Winchester offered high walls with stainless steel, gain twist rifling, and it's the most common one of all in .45-70. No mention will be made of .40-70 because you talked somebody into breaking up the last one on earth.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Hopefully, the bore will be shootable, Zeke,
If not, a barrel swap seems appropriate. Hang on to the original.
We are just keepers of these pieces of history.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 3rd, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 3:30pm:
Understand the concern but all we were really talking about is setting aside a barrel and easy enough to keep track of and not a full muzzle loading rifle and its shooting kit. 

JLouis

Maybe easy enough for the current owner to keep track of, but eventually the Grim Reaper comes along, or what's worse, senility.  Then, totally unpredictable things happen, and it's a rare situation when one's heirs care as much about your "stuff" as you once did.   

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 3rd, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
My take, buy the rifle for what it is and not what you'd like to turn it into.  It's a HW in 40-70 Ballard and comes with dies and brass.  All you need is the correct bullet mold and have fun. I have not seen 85's in rare calibers pull much more than they're worth as a common caliber 85' unless they are in better than average shape.  Whatever you do, don't line it, or rebore it as now it becomes a $1200 to $1400 rifle with a set trigger.  You're just wasting money.  If you're not a collector of rare calibers, I'd pass on it unless it goes for a reasonable price. There are better options.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2018 at 5:20pm by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 5:13pm:
I have not seen 85's in rare calibers pull much more than they're worth as a common caliber 85'...

Unlike the situation with some other Winchesters, like M. 70s, where rare calibers bring a premium, what enhances the value of any '85 is the popularity of the caliber among potential shooters, & generally speaking, bigger is better: .30-40 & .45-70 top the list, except for the .50s.  I've got a Deluxe HW I bought relatively cheap, because no one wanted a .32-20 HW...even though that's an uncommon chambering in the HW model.  (After trying unsuccessively for a yr to sell it, the dealer told me he was thinking of reboring it; that's when I made my offer.) 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - May 4th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
If you talk to guys who specifically collect 1885's the caliber is indeed a premium. Of course they want the bigger calibers, but they also love unique calibers that their fellow 1885 collectors don't have.
Every single shot collector might not look at a specific model the same. I know I've always looked for odd original calibers in the Ballards I collect, and pay more for those rare calibers.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - May 4th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I hate to point out the obvious but, Sometimes the thing to do when you acquire a rare version of a single shot and you are looking for one to build up is to sell the rarer one and buy one more suitable for rebuilding. You know, one that is common or has been extensively altered over the years. I know there is a tendency to want to hold on to the rifle you have but often it makes more sense to resell it and get one more suitable to your purpose.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 4th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
MG and Q-B, you are spot on. I can't find that stuff here most of the time, but when I do (even though I can't afford it), the oohs, and wows come out. 
I have seen a few '85s in .40-70, not many. But, when Redsetter mentioned his in 32spl, my eyebrows went up. Never saw one of those yet. 
I said that the OP ought to find something else if he wants to have a .45-70, and that this one should be kept in it's current form. Won't ever back down from that point of view.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - May 4th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 9:34am:
If you talk to guys who specifically collect 1885's the caliber is indeed a premium. Of course they want the bigger calibers, but they also love unique calibers that their fellow 1885 collectors don't have.

Well, a fellow on the Winchester Collectors board sure ain't arousing much interest in the .38-90 HW he's trying to sell; first one in that caliber I've ever seen.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - May 4th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 2:49pm:

Well, a fellow on the Winchester Collectors board sure ain't arousing much interest in the .38-90 HW he's trying to sell; first one in that caliber I've ever seen.

And that wouldn't be because he's just plain asking too much for it? There is such a thing as a premium, but some people think the premium is more than it should be.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - May 4th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 3:35pm:
Redsetter wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 2:49pm:

And that wouldn't be because he's just plain asking too much for it? There is such a thing as a premium, but some people think the premium is more than it should be.

And that light weight for diameter 38 cal 217 grain bullet used in the 38 Express doesn't really make it a great candidate for long range shooting.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 4th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
If the numbers are right, they only made five rifles in 38 EX.  I'd say that is pretty rare.  Bob

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - May 4th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I've broken down several old 1885's over the years to make customs.  I've been taken to task for doing so on this board.  My offer has always been the same:  If the rifle is worth keeping as a whole, it should be worth the sum of it's parts.   

Send me a MVA newly made (or C Sharps) receiver, a Green Mt. Barrel blank, and a Treebone or Crossno or CPA semi-inletted stock and I'll send you the old, tired original Winchester.  I haven't had anyone yet take me up on it, and those rifles had a rebirth into something that has been used by me and my family as they were intended to be used.

I did reline one that is somewhat rare.  I have an 1885 #4 barrel, 40-70ss, with known parentage tying it to Meachum and the last of the buffalo trade.  It had no rifling left, and was a brown gun.  I relined it with a quality, large diameter, fast twist liner and rechambered to a custom .40-70 chamber that allows it to use .405 brass.  Invisible liner, and changed the appearance of the rifle not at all.  I know that the rifle is not worth more with the relined bore than it was with the rotted out one; but everyone tells me what a shame that it is relined.  If I hadn't relined it and tried to sell it, everyone would have told me what a shame it was that it had a rotted out bore.  I also offered that rifle out for sale for the cost of a new reproduction, and had no takers.   

I am going to have to build a new 1885 or two, as I had some stolen recently.  I have new MVA receivers that I am going to use; not saving money by starting with a used rifle.  I can afford to pay the rate to use all new and will on these rifles.  Luckily, I still have the stock patterns; one of them was my wifes 1885 I detailed the build on a thread here a few years ago.  The other was my .38-72, which I have been able to start the replacement of by buying a similar one on the classifieds here recently.  It would be cheaper to start with an original rifle in decent condition, and rebuild it and sell the leftover parts than to start with new.  So much for "collector" value.

Now on whether using the original to save costs is right, is debatable.   Grin Tongue  Let the argument go on.......

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - May 4th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 6:45pm:
I know that the rifle is not worth more with the relined bore than it was with the rotted out one; but everyone tells me what a shame that it is relined. 

That's foolish.  It's a damn shame that someone allowed it to get in that condition, but it's not worse off now for having a lining, assuming the original bore really was too far gone to shoot. In fact, I think a quality lining job adds to its value by at least the cost of the work.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 6:07pm:
If the numbers are right, they only made five rifles in 38 EX.  I'd say that is pretty rare.  Bob

If the cartridges are as rare as the rifle, the original box the seller has should be worth several hundred by itself.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - May 4th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I certainly have no issue with putting a liner in a gun to get it to shooting well. Have no problem with completely rebuilding a gun if it's a clunker either.
The OP mentioned the 1885 in .40-70 Ballard was a "very nice condition", which is a totally different ball game!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint