Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sizing problem (Read 11322 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Sizing problem
Reply #30 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
I hear that people pay big money to get minimum spec chambers.    Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Put a new spin on Needle guns?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
It's not like the Lathe would not be used for other things. Cost to ship the rifle to a Smith, pay for his work and then pay to have it shipped back pays for the small lathe. Then there is the chance of it getting lost / stolen or returned in a damaged state that would pay for even a bit bigger size. And every serious competitor should just simply own one and learn how to do his own work being a huge plus. The case work should just be looked at as being a real good self justifiable excuse to now buy one. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - May 3rd, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Joe been thinking about how I would open a tapered case chamber .oo3 about a quarter inch in front of the rim recess. Not being a machinist may well be something I am missing, help me understand.

Best way is run the reamer a bit deeper. It was ground to the cases taper. No reamer, it’s back in America, Rifle is in Australia.

That leaves boring bars. Not a problem to open up a hole .003. But it only needs to be opened for a quarter inch . What happens after the bit gets in .25. can’t leave a shoulder . Do you taper the chamber so it runs out to case size at neck ?  That’s not much taper in a couple inches run  and needs to be precise.  I have turned sharp outside tapers with the compound,  slight tapers outside offsetting the tailstock. Pretty sure I would mess up a chamber trying to open it up that small amount on the lathe .

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #34 - May 3rd, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 3:11pm:
You people are going to purchase lathes to turn down brass rather than correct your undersized chambers one time?  Hmmm.........   Undecided

The OP said his previous brass fit fine, so why would he open his chamber to work with this batch? Then the next batch might be too loose.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - May 3rd, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Boats a bit of Crocus cloth on a split stick spun with a drill is more than enough to remove a few thousands while only being worked in just that short area where the web is sticking and it does not require the barrel to removed or re-chambered. We are only talking about a thou. or a thou. and half being cleaned up per side. But unfortunately it does away with an excuse to by a lathe to take the same amount off the cases in the same area. I have seen this approach being done by some of the top Smith's and have even done it myself with no fear of having any ill effects or having incurred any when properly done with care. I have also seen it done with a bit of lapping compound on a nice fitting fire formed case being spun or just turned by hand and then polished up a bit after.

JLouis
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2018 at 6:57pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for pointing that out Joe especially if one is trying to do the entire chamber and if not it keeps the abrasives out of that area while just doing the cleaning up after doing the work and thanks again. 

JLouis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - May 3rd, 2018 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I have done some Chamber lapping, have a couple of laps in my tool box now. Ones a flap wheel style in 12 g, cleans up old SXS shotgun dirty chambers. Another is the lap I made for the .25 Kraig when I first started having extraction problems. It’s a 25 Kraig case with a mandrel installed through the primer pocket . Chucked in a variable speed drill,charged with compound. I found it ineffective solving the extraction problems, did not remove enough material in the right place. Then realized I had two different brass sizes. One worked one would not.  That’s when I turned a couple thou off the thick base cases and solved the problem. 

Recently polished a Marlin 1894 25/20 with extraction problems. Rough rifle, polished chamber and a stoned and re sprung extractor fixed that one

Real difficult extraction problem I had was a brand new Anshutz 1712 small bore Silhouette rifle. Returning it to Anschutz they wanted to blame the ammunition. Proved to them the rifle was only used with RWS R 50 also German & it,ought to work. Then they wanted to fix by polishing the chamber. It was nice and smooth, just too small. I did not like the solution but  in the end they polished and it worked fine. 

Lapping or polishing is certainly appropriate in some situations.  

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #38 - May 4th, 2018 at 9:27am
Print Post  
I've used old cases split down one side and wrapped with emery paper to polish a chamber. Just slit the case with a dremel cutoff wheel, and slip the emery paper into the slit and give it a wrap. I drill and tap the primer pocket for a threaded rod to chuck it in a drill motor.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #39 - May 6th, 2018 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Just an update on my case sizing problem, I have been using a bore brush wrapped with 0000 steel wool to polish the inside necks of my cases for some time now.
Today I decided to turn down some of the .303 brass that was sticking in the chamber and found that if I put the case over the brush in the drill it held it securely enough to let me file it with a fine flat file and finish it off with the emery paper.
Nowhere near as good as having a lathe but a lot cheaper.
Mike.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - May 6th, 2018 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Mick good thing about your post is half a dozen ways to solve the problem. 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint