Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sizing problem (Read 11055 times)
Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: Sizing problem
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Do as you wish but I would never cut the brass around the web. You got good brass and can buy more at a minimal cost so adjust the chamber and your problems are over.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
How are you going to open the chamber ? New reamer it may well be oversized, reamer used to chamber is in the US Gun in Australia. If it’s not set up properly it’s not going to be true. Polish the chamber ? .003 off the outside of case at the rim lot easier than opening up a chamber .003 consistently . Mess one up it’s just a case not a chamber. 

Top gunsmith may be able to do it well. Most Mick will have easy access to in Australia won’t .

Boats 

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2018 at 9:52pm by boats »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
There you go Mick two ways to skin the cat, let us know how it worked out .

Boats

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 2nd, 2018 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Joe, you have to complain that it's inappropriate, then it'll get moved to 'off topic'. Who's been doing all this complaining anyway?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on May 2nd, 2018 at 12:13am:
Who's been doing all this complaining anyway?

Probably somebody who's REALLY bored!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2018 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I found the same problem forming 32 miller short..
I tool out the shell holder and made a small plate to fit the top of the ram, then re-lubed them and ran the case Smiley to the bottom of the die lowed the ram and with a punch I that has a decaying pin in the end and inserted into the case and tapped the cases out,  Now any brand of case even starling will extract in my CPA Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks again for all the replies, I decided to try turning down the cases myself by hand as I do not own any suitable power tools to do the job. I'm reluctant to give my $3000 rifle to  a gunsmith to enlarge the chamber in case there is a mishap and I will then be in worse trouble.
Anyway to make along story short I did 10 cases by hand using a very fine file and then emery paper, I kept seating the case in the rifle and then noting where it was binding, then carefully giving the high spot a rub with the 400 emery.
In all I removed approximately 1 1/2 to 2 thou and the cases will now chamber and extract fine.
This process took over an hour to do for ten cases.
As this rifle is soon due to be replaced with a 40/65 Hi Wall it has been a valuable experience in going against the flow calibre wise. 
Cheers
Mike.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
A drill press and file will make quick work of them Mick. Even  table top drill press will do just fine. Just need to find a piece of rod to fit the case mouth inside to protect it.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 2nd, 2018 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
More than one way to skin a cat and you found it. Way to many try to make rocket science pertain to the simplest of things or to over complicate it and congrats. in your success.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - May 2nd, 2018 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Small drill press will do just fine. Main thing is get someone to make up a well fitted mandrel . 

So much turning work with cartridge cases small lathe real useful . I have a nice big one now. Made do with a small simple lathe for years. If I had the space would have another miniature machine dedicated to cardridge cases.

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 2nd, 2018 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
We'll put Boats an inexpensive Mini Lathe can do allot of quality work typically at the same cost of a drill press and will by far more than suit ones needs for the smaller gunsmithing projects and a very wise investment. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:11am
Print Post  
You see the old small Craftsman made by Atlas on EBay 200 300.  Chinese mini’s 200.  Expensive are the Unimats still available well under a thousand. 

My son makes fountain pins from scratch. He was doing the wood work on a modern variable speed wood lathe . Also did Metal work on it, drilling, fits on the ink  barrels etc with files and papers.  Tapping worked well too.  Lack of a compound did not hold him back.

Gave him my 12 inch Atlas when I bought the Logan. I had used it for cartridge case work years.  Before the Atlas I did case jobs on a wood lathe with files hand trimmers and abrasive papers. He’s glad he has the Atlas but point is you can do good work with a very simple lathe. Main thing  is master the use of micrometers and indicators. 

Look at the photos of Harry Popes lathe in “Popes Barrels”

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - May 3rd, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
boats wrote on May 2nd, 2018 at 10:42pm:
Small drill press will do just fine. Main thing is get someone to make up a well fitted mandrel . 

Boats

Even the mandrel can be made in the same method with a drill press. Simply find a piece of rod that's close and chuck it in the drill press. Then hold a file to it as it turns and keep checking fit with a case until it just slips in. Then use a hacksaw to cut it off as it spins and you've got a perfect mandrel.
I did a ton of things like this before I got my cheap lathe, and still occasionally do some tasks this way just because it's quick and easy sometimes.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - May 3rd, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Anybody try just using bullets in the case mouth?  Stuff it in and chuck it up. After the case is finished, just toss the slugs back in the pile for remelt. Even your reject bullets become useful, hey?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Small lathes can do real precise work, as anyone whose used the small jewelers lathes to repair old pocket watches can attest to.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint