Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Convert or not convert rimfire Civil War Ballard (Read 3002 times)
rraffl
Participating Member

Convert or not convert rimfire Civil War Ballard
Apr 27th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
I have a Merwin and Bray Civil War Ballard in 56-56 and am wondering if I should have it converted to center fire. I'm no expert but I think that it is in very good condition. All the parts are there, no cracks and the stock finish is original. The only issue from a collector's view is that it looks like someone tried to rub some instant blue on the barrel. Just looking for an opinion.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2018 at 8:59am by rraffl »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Convert or not convert rimfire Civil War Ballard
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I have a stockless wreck in some kind of .44 Rim Fire that I was thinking of converting, too.  Then I saw that there were tiny cracks in the receiver shoulders and decided it was a wall-hanger after all.  This, as far as I can tell, must have happened on firing the original blackpowder rimfire cartridges.

On those early models, from my reading, the breechblock, as well as the frame, is some kind of poorly-characterized cast iron.  Even if you fill in the rimfire notch in the block, and somehow contrive a centerfire firing pin, it is still going to be even more marginal for a centerfire cartridge than the now notorious cast frame/forged block Marlin-Ballards.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
rraffl wrote on Apr 27th, 2018 at 8:46am:
I have a Merwin and Bray Civil War Ballard in 56-56 and am wondering if I should have it converted to center fire.

Center-fire what?  Not too many .55 cal. CF rounds to choose from these days.

Guess the brl could be sleeved down to something for which ammo is still available, but the cost of such a project done right would not be small.

Leaving it alone is, I think, the best course, esp. if the cond. is reasonably good.  A total wreck might be a different case.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Apr 27th, 2018 at 9:28am:

On those early models, from my reading, the breechblock, as well as the frame, is some kind of poorly-characterized cast iron. 

Cast iron all right, but good quality for the time.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 10:28am
Print Post  
I would leave it alone. If you did all of the conversion work would it be worth more or less? The answer is less. It reminds me of a Highwall Schuezen I bought one time. A guy took a $10,000 Highwall Schuetzen rifle and by only spending an additional $200 on gunsmith work made it into a rifle which I bought for $500.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
If it's in good condition I'd leave it alone also. Better choices of Marlin Ballards that are either reversible firing pins, or already CF that would be better choices to just shoot or reline.
If the condition was poor I'd agree that it's a good choice to rework. But not if it's a decent gun. I'd gently clean off the cold blue and either brown the barrel, or leave it if it doesn't look bad after cleaning. Don't need to shoot every old gun we own.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I am one who thinks it is yours so do with it as you wish. Within reason and not being another 10,000.00 dollar rifle ending up to be worth only 500.00. 
Ken what did the gunsmith do for that fellow for only 200.00 that could not be salvaged. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Sell it and buy a Rimfire that suits your purpose. Better off financially and end up with a more useful rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 8:03am:
Sell it and buy a Rimfire that suits your purpose. Better off financially and end up with a more useful rifle.

Boats

Believe these are much coveted by Civil War re-enactors.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
That’s true and a whole lot more potential buyers, clobbered up Rimfire single shot, not many intrested. 

Project Guns are fun but better to start with a suitable action at a reasonable price not loosing value soon as you start work. And understand projects rarely good investments.

I could have a nice cabinet full of fine Guns for what I have spent fixing up. Not as much fun though. 

Boats

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
If it were mine, I’d figure the cost of conversion would not be either an investment or in truth make me shoot it more. I’d try to get ten or twelve cases cobbled up. Firing it ten, or reloading and firing it twenty times on an outing where I had other stuff to shoot would be plenty for me. I think the rifle with usable brass would be more tempting for a future buyer. Only thoughts.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
If it were mine, I’d figure the cost of conversion would not be either an investment or in truth make me shoot it more. I’d try to get ten or twelve cases cobbled up.

Shoots the same cartridge as certain of the Spencers, & they are VERY popular among CW re-enactors.  So perhaps something is available for the Spencer that's also usable in the Ballard.

IP Logged

rraffl
Participating Member

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Hey guys, thanks for your input. I think I will just leave it alone. I paid way too much for it and I would hate to screw it up by modifying the action. Thanks again.

Richard

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2018 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
One question: is the breechblock one of the ones set up for rimfire AND percussion?  If so, there is a member of the North-South Skirmish Association who makes a unit to screw into the block in place of the percussion nipple and VOILA, you have a center fire.  Then all you have to do is find some brass you can use and you're in business.  That's the way some of the folks in N-SSA are doing it with perfect satisfaction.  The best part?  It can instantly be returned to original condition... no permanent alteration to the gun!  Just for your consideration.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint