Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bullard Single Shot (Read 4499 times)
moshannon

Bullard Single Shot
Mar 21st, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Here's another interesting find. It was originally in 38-55 (probably Bullard). Unfortunately the current barrel is chambered in 25-20 SS. I'm not sure it isn't an original Bullard barrel though as it is a takedown and quite possibly a second barrel. The only markings on the barrel are a 2 in front of the forend, and what appears to be a diamond, partial star and a 2 under the forend. Here is the interesting part, it isn't the normal Bullard take-down system, this one uses a retaining screw similar to Stevens on the underside of the receiver. Not quite as easy though, you first need to remove the block and forend to allow the barrel to turn. Probably why it isn't the "normal" takedown that is seen.

These are just cool works of mechanical ingenuity. Absolutely smooth function.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Bullard Single Shot
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Another great looking single! Wonder if it was converted to a takedown?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
They where more takedowns than solid frames. the Bullard book is  well researched, if you can get a copy. And Yes I believe they are the smoothest operating single shot and repeater ever made.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I think it might have been converted to take down, because it does not appear to have the receiver hole and screw for the typical factory take down setup. Also, I don't think the regular take down system had any threading for a barrel.

Thanks for showing it. How did you determine the original chambering?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 3:51am
Print Post  
The 2nd edition of the Bullard book is spendy (IIRC $200?) but it is far more detailed than the earlier.  Bullard single shots were not around very long, maybe 1885 to 1889. W. Milton Farrow was a Bullard employee when they were designed.

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 7:43am
Print Post  
I took another look at the retaining screw and hole. It definitely looks like it was done post factory. I had only broken it down once before and didn't look at it that closely. It works great, just a couple more steps involved than Stevens system. The top flat of the receiver is stamped with the original caliber, 38 over 55.

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for commenting about the original chamber markings. It may have been a standard 38-55 chamber, but I'm not familiar with the differences a Bullard cartridge might have had. You might consider contacting the author of the two books. If I'm not mistaken, he maintains a detailed list of known rifles and may either have some history on yours or be interested to learn of a new serial number that he wasn't aware of. Thanks again for showing all your interesting rifles.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
one thing is for sure....feels like butter when throwing the lever...congrats on the find!
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2018 at 4:51pm by oodmoff »  

IP Logged

RonJonUSN

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Smooooothist action of any of my single shot rifles!..  32-40 Marlin & Ballard chambered.  Not 32-40 Bullard.  This one is a solid frame, note the nice wood! Bullard chamberings were not all that popular, hence, you could get your rifle chambered in any popular caliber of the day.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Close friend had a pristine two barrel set. Said it was designed for paper patched bullets and did shoot grease groove bullets at all well so it did stay in the heard of his originals for very for long being one who shot what he owned. First one I had ever seen and held and a very nice rifle indeed. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint