Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hepburn Walker (Read 17743 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Hepburn Walker
Reply #30 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 2:06pm:
Walker was a barrel maker like Pope. He ran the custom department at Remington. Why would he be left out?  In my opinion, if a Hepburn has a Walker barrel it's a Walker Hepburn. What's the big deal?  

Joe.

Based on your theory we'd have to ensure that others at various makers plants weren't left out too. Since Remington thought highly enough of their custom stock makers to actually allow Gliddings and Delhi to put their rollstamp on the top tang of wood they built for special Remingtons. As far as I know Walker got his name on the actions he is credited with redesigning, but not barrels he oversaw. 
So where do we stop or start? Are those high end stocked guns Gliddings-Remingtons, or Delhi-Remingtons? 
I think this is a great discussion, but also getting a bit absurd to begin attaching names to various factory guns based solely on one part a workman had a hand in making.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Did Walker have his own stamp, and did Walker mark his barrels as Pope did?
The 1882 E. Remington & Sons price list does show, on one page only, for the #3:

THE
Remington Improved Creedmoor Rifle.
        HEPBURN'S PATENT
                  No. 3
     SPORTING & TARGET RIFLE

Hepburn isn't mentioned on any of the other pages pertaining to the other various #3 rifle models.
If the "L. L. HEPBURN" stamp is found on #3 Creedmoor Rifle barrels, should it be called a "Hepburn-Hepburn" ?
And if the "L. L. HEPBURN" stamp is found on barrels for the other #3 models, should it be called a "Hepburn-No. 3" ?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
The discussion so far suggests that this group will likely never have any more than opinions about whether the apparently well-known "L L HEPBURN" stamp denotes ownership, workmanship, fakemanship, or something else.

But here's the question that seems to me to underlay all this (and which might deserve its own thread): on what basis do we append the names of craftsmen like Pope and Niedner to the guns they personally worked on while we omit the names of others such as Hepburn and Walker?  Are we, for example, acting like The Blessed Harry when Rowland wouldn't publically declare that Pope's barrels always outshot Schoyen's?

Take it away, boys and girls!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Opinion's are a dime a dozen how about some serious research and some actual facts of which I have none to share but wish I did and would if I had the means to do so. I know everyone enjoys to voice and listen to others opinions to keep such threads alive and well and nothing wrong with doing so but some real meat and potatoes are just about due for this one and I too would like to know.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
I actually owned the target pistol I mentioned earlier.  It was fully functional and finished but "in the white" as they say.  Amber, Grant, and a South Bend, Indiana collector of many single-shots (I no longer remember his name) examined the gun and agreed with my opinion that the L. L. HEPBURN stamps and the gun's format and condition strongly indicated that Hepburn was the maker.

That, for what it's worth JLouis, is one fact backed by four opinions.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Probably not worth mentioning, but I suspect there are more roll dies and stamps floating around now than the original manufactures themselves ever made and used.     Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Probably not worth mentioning, but I suspect there are more roll dies and stamps floating around now than the original manufactures themselves ever made and used.

Amen!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe I did not know that book was out there and it sounds like it would indeed be money well spent to pick one up.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Prices are around $125.00
The Collector Bookstore in Leavenworth, KS Priced at $112.50.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I bought my copy of Rowe's Hepburn book on Amazon for $80, so check there first. Might save some money.

As for famous makers and when or why they get special notation or "ownership" added to guns they made. The workers who designed or worked on guns as part of their normal day to day job rarely get any credit. The Walker designation was assigned to his design by Remington. Unusual as they indeed didn't assign Hepburn's name to the #3 Remington. Who knows why Remington saw fit to credit Walker for redesigning the #3, but didn't see fit to credit Hepburn with the original design? The fact Walker got credit is more confusing, as it was not the habit of most gun makers to give employees credit for their design, unless it benefitted the company.
The Stevens company gave Pope credit because they felt his name would increase sales. Had it not benefitted Stevens, they'd never have added his name.
Marlin used Ballard's name simply because Ballard himself had named the design when he was involved long before Marlin. But had it not already been named the Ballard rifle, Marlin and his partners would not have done so. Hepburn designed every Marlin lever action model from the Model 1889 to the Model 1897, and numerous in between. But as an employee of John Marlin, he got paid a paycheck, and no benefit to Marlin to give Hepburn any credit in naming his designs.
The various custom built guns by famous custom barrel makers, or custom gun makers have been given the name of the maker due to those makers applying their names to the gun barrels. We look at a particular Winchester, Remington, or Ballard, and if it has a famous maker's rollstamp on it, we call it a Pope Winchester, Pope Ballard, or Pope Remington. We use Stevens' designated "Stevens-Pope" for guns built while he was employed by Stevens, but that's also because it's marked so on the barrel. There are probably 500 or so Stevens-Pope marked barrels on Stevens rifles that were built after Pope left, and done so under Ross' supervision. We don't call them Stevens-Ross rifles. They're still referred to as Stevens-Pope, but everyone knows Pope didn't have anything to doo with those later Stevens-Pope marked rifles.
Adding a famous maker's name to designate they reworked a gun is more of a nod to those we hold in such high regard. This is why the #3 has been given the nickname the Hepburn rifle. It's because collectors have for decades felt Hepburn was credited for his design. Same as famous gun makers get.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2018 at 7:27pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

s.s.jeff

Reply #40 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
The Stevens Pope barrels after Harry left were under the supervision of Fred Ross

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
s.s.jeff wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:28pm:
The Stevens Pope barrels after Harry left were under the supervision of Fred Ross

Correct Jeff. So should we call them Stevens-Ross, or should we call them Stevens-Pope-Ross? Wink

Thanks for catching my mistake on the "Roth" vs. Ross part!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint