Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hepburn Walker (Read 17725 times)
Amoretti

Re: Hepburn Walker
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Does any know if the script "Schutzen" on that Hepburn can be duplicated by a mechanical engraver ala a trophy shop or does it have to be hand engraved?

How were the originals done?  I see Ballard did some of this and maybe Marlin.

Thanks, John

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
In the early 1960s I belonged to a club called the Long Beach Gun Collectors. It met the first Friday of the month. It had many members and they were mostly older men.They had bought their guns when they didn't commend the high prices they do today. One gentleman would occasionally bring in his Walker Hepburn to share. Another member would bring in an original Walker Colt. I was looking at it one night at the monthly meeting and he said, "pick it up". That is usually a no-no. I asked him where he bought it and he told me he bought it in Matamoras, Mexico in 1955 and he paid a lot a of money for it. That pistol, like most of them that have surfaced had the US stamping ground off. While I have seen other Walker Colts, I have never seen another Walker Hepburn. By the way, if you want to see a fabulous gun collection as well as many other western collectables, go to Bartlesville,Ok and visit Frank Phillips Museum called Woollarock. I have never seen its equal.      
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:43pm by LONG RANGE »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Amoretti wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:45pm:
Does any know if the script "Schutzen" on that Hepburn can be duplicated by a mechanical engraver ala a trophy shop or does it have to be hand engraved?

How were the originals done?  I see Ballard did some of this and maybe Marlin.

Thanks, John

I would guess it depends on the engraving shop's selection of fonts and whether the action has been annealed to eliminate eating up their cutters. Since they use a pantograph to do their electric engraving, they should have a selection of patterns for different fonts. If they have this style pattern they should be able to do it. It wont look the same as engraving hand done, but at a glance it will probably be close.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Just don't forget the other "e"Wink

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:26am:
Just don't forget the other "e"Wink

Yeah. Without it the name would be correct, but more Germanic.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I guess the umlaut for the u got washed overboard on the Atlantic crossing - or our typewriters didn't have it - so they added the e to make it sound close to the same. The Walker could have been engraved either way but I guess the flow had gone to the e by the time it was done.

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
The "Walker" was never advertised as that but was a Remington Schuetzen. The Walker term is modern. There were several prototypes made as well as a number sequence that went up to the low 20--W19 etc. The breech block works the same as a regular Hepburn. The Walker patent action was made a few years earlier by E. Rem. & Sons about the time they went bankrupt, I think 1886 or so. The Remington Schuetzens were made in the early 1900's 1902-1905 I believe. I have one real Walker and it is as good a rifle as Remington ever made. Tom Rowe

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't think so. No more than a Winchester with a Stevens barrel is a Stevens.

I don't think Marlinguy's logic is entirely valid.  That is, his example is indeed just a Winchester with presumably a Stevens-factory-replaced barrel.  But a Hepburn rifle with a Walker-marked barrel presumably left the factory that way - i.e., it's completely a Remington product.

Moreover, I have heard of both No 3 Models (the company's actual name for the since-popularly-named Hepburn) AND rolling blocks (all Creedmoors I believe) with Hepburn-stamped barrels.

In short, if a Pope-barreled Ballard can be called a Pope-Ballard, then surely those factory-produced rifles can even more legitimately be prefaced with "Walker" and "Hepburn", respectively.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Thank you, Mr Rowe. Learned something. Welcome to the forum.
Thought the Walker's were earlier than that, like early 1890's.
Also, thank you for your books.
Chuck

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum Mr. Rowe, I too appreciate your books.  I use them as a valuable resource and I'm looking forward to the next book I'm hearing about.   
Thanks,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Just for your viewing pleasure . Picture of last springs eastern NY crew in the front row are 5 Walker Hepburn rifles used in the match.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2018 at 11:55am by Dales »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 11:22pm:
I wouldn't think so. No more than a Winchester with a Stevens barrel is a Stevens.

I don't think Marlinguy's logic is entirely valid.  That is, his example is indeed just a Winchester with presumably a Stevens-factory-replaced barrel.  But a Hepburn rifle with a Walker-marked barrel presumably left the factory that way - i.e., it's completely a Remington product.

Moreover, I have heard of both No 3 Models (the company's actual name for the since-popularly-named Hepburn) AND rolling blocks (all Creedmoors I believe) with Hepburn-stamped barrels.

In short, if a Pope-barreled Ballard can be called a Pope-Ballard, then surely those factory-produced rifles can even more legitimately be prefaced with "Walker" and "Hepburn", respectively.

Bill Lawrence

I'd disagree heartily! A Pope barreled Ballard would indeed be a Pope Ballard. But putting a Walker barrel on a Hepburn, without any of the other Walker features doesn't make it a Walker Hepburn. It matters not whether it was factory installed or later swap. I seriously doubt  you'd find any aficionado of Remington single shots who'd look at a standard Hepburn with a Walker barrel and call it a Walker for that one feature. Just silly talk.
But  put a Pope barrel on any gun and it becomes a Pope...... That's accepted across the board by everyone, and not just because of the Pope barrel. Pope was not known for building complete guns, but for his fine barrels. So unlike Schoyen, Zischang, Schalk, etc... a Pope barrel makes the gun a Pope. If it was one of the other makers a person can look at the complete gun and say, "It's a Schoyen barrel, but not Schoyen rifle" or "It's a Schoyen rifle, because it has his barrel, and  is his style of rifle also."
Your example doesn't hold water.

And please tell us what a "Hepburn stamped barrel" is? I've got three Hepburns, and the rollstamps on the barrel are no different than my half dozen Rolling Block rollstamps? Hepburn barrels didn't have any different rollstamp that I'm aware of?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Looks like Walker will have to be the only one to have 2 designations; Walker Walkers and all the other Walkers  Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
And please tell us what a "Hepburn stamped barrel" is? I've got three Hepburns, and the rollstamps on the barrel are no different than my half dozen Rolling Block rollstamps? Hepburn barrels didn't have any different rollstamp that I'm aware of?

What I am referring to is a stamp, I'd say a die stamp: "L. L. HEPBURN".  The first one I actually saw was decades ago on a barrel (underneath the wood) and on the inside of the lockwork of a single shot target pistol.  The last one was a double stamp (the first try was not full or clear) on the underside of a NO. 3's barrel, again hidden by the wood.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 3:02pm:

What I am referring to is a stamp, I'd say a die stamp: "L. L. HEPBURN".  The first one I actually saw was decades ago on a barrel (underneath the wood) and on the inside of the lockwork of a single shot target pistol.  The last one was a double stamp (the first try was not full or clear) on the underside of a NO. 3's barrel, again hidden by the wood.

Bill Lawrence

Bill those stamps are not just found on Hepburns and should not be thought of as Hepburn specific barrels as they relate to a #3. I've seen those same "LL HEPBURN" markings on rolling Blocks, and also on several Marlin lever action repeating rifles. Doesn't make them Hepburn barrels, or even Remington barrels.
There's been numerous speculation by Marlin collectors that such barrels were either prototypes, owned by Hepburn, or assembled by Hepburn. I really have no idea what the LL HEPBURN marking designates, since it seemed to be found on guns made when he worked at both Remington and Marlin. Surely he had some connection to the stamp, but no telling what. I can say that those so marked were certainly not done with what appeared to be a rollstamp, as the letters were not well spaced or aligned.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint