Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ruger #1 (Read 6624 times)
singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Ruger #1
Mar 16th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Ruger #1 in 38-50 Remington. One of the collection that I enjoyed building and shooting. Green Mountain barrel and Tree Bone wood.

SSS

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ruger #1
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Wow! I have seen some real nice custom built #1's over the years and this is by far one of the nicest I have seen and its absolutely stunning per my tastes. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Double John's WOW !!! That is one beautiful #1. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Somebody at Ruger needs to take note of your Ruger build and offer an octagon barreled #1! It's something I've said for decades to anyone who was a Ruger #1 fan. I think they'd sell a bunch of octagon barrel versions!
Very nice gun!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
That's a nice rifle allright, but, I think that Ruger would sell more rifles with great triggers than they would rifles with an octagon barrel. Just an opinion based on the ones I've shot.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Great work, Mr. Hardcastle. Was that a build for a customer? What weight/length barrel?

And, a great cartridge. Will make a terrific mid-range BPTR rifle (probably won't be allowed at long-range matches due to being a 38cal - silly rule). Do wish the NRA would approve the Farquartson, Borchardt and other period rifles for BPCR competition. Their 'exposed hammer' rule is also silly. 

Don't think octagon barrels and great triggers would save the No.1. Just not a big market and that's all that Ruger (and like companies) is (are) interested in these days of 'black rifles'. We are lucky that Ruger offers any No.1 rifles. If it wasn't their distributors asking for them am sure they would be history.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:45am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Very impressive work on the #1, thanks for posting!  How does it shoot?
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Outstanding work!!

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I have only shot the rifle with black powder fixed ammo, it seems to do well with the 5X MVA scope. I am sure it could improve with more load development and my 15X LSTS. Too many projects with limited time to devote to my own rifles.

SSS

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Having more time and effort to spend with it and based on your quality of work I have no doubts that it can indeed be made to shoot well beyond anyone's imaginiation and hopefully somehow you can find that time. I once picked up a Ruger that was already know to shoot quite well in 32-40, with a Shilen barrel, bullet seater, newer stock set etc. I felt I had got it for pennies on the dollar with the only intent of helping it shoot a bit better and to then to pass it onto a new individual wanting to get into the sport with it already being extremely competitive. Any out of pocket money I spent was on me and not passed on and when the fellow who ended up buying it including bullet mould, load data etc. It was capable of shooting 250's of which I had done in load development. When he picked it up all he needed was a good scope it already had a rail I made for it installed for the 7.2 spacing should he choose to use a modern scope. With just a few changes in the approach used for bedding the forearm, a new speed lock hammer and spring I felt it as being just as competitive and consistent as anything found on the line and I was able to pass it one at an extremely reasonable price. All parts labor and time involved on my part to devolpe it where not taken into account but only the want to help someone get into the sport without having to take a back seat to anyone. The only thing he had to do on his part was to go out and learn how to read the conditions and to do it while also being able to have full confidence in the rifle. 

JLouis

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Chuck V
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Mr Hardcastle's masterpiece is truly inspiring!
This beautiful rifle demonstrates the passion that we (I) feel about our sport/hobby in steel and wood, crafted to perfection by a master.  No factory could provide such a rifle-- this one is far too personal an acheivement to ever come from a mechanized facility.  The time, skill,experience, and very high quality materials put into this rifle demonstrates that there are still a very few craftsmen in the field to carry on a tradition of creating a piece of functional art.  The fact that it shoots so very well is a tribute to Mr Hardcastle's efforts as both a custom riflesmith and a shooter.  The very best of both worlds!
I still dream of some day commissioning him to do a piece of art for me!!! Don't we all?
ChuckV

IP Logged

bucksnort

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Very Nice. Having never fired a No.1, how is the Ruger trigger?  Is there a conversion for a DST?  Does Ruger sell receivers 'in-the-white'?  Thanks, Ed

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Was also going to ask about the trigger. The recent years they have been OK, at best, but am wondering what Curt did on this one? Steve Durren got mine down to ~1# with a working safety.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
The factory triggers that have come into the shop usually run between 4.5 to 6 pounds. Stoning the sear nose and hammer notch will reduce them considerably. I have used several replacement triggers in the past but have settled on the Jard  Ruger #1 trigger, I say #1 as they will not work on a #3 as the sear engagement screw bears against the trigger guard on a #1 and the #3 has the trigger guard as part of the lever. The Jard triggers are fully adjustable for sear engagement and over travel and are purchased by the pull weight desired, allowing approx. +/- 1/2 pound from the weight ordered. They are listed at 1 pound to 4 1/2 pound pull weights with three weights in between. The instructions leave a little to be desired as the trigger design has been modified since the instructions were printed but they are easy enough to figure out if you are familiar with the Ruger trigger system.

SSS

IP Logged

Hartford Tommy
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2022 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I have been recently very interested in the 38-50 as a friend built one on a highwall action.  It shot stupendously at 400 and pretty good at 600.  The wind was a bit brisk that day so many challenges.  This fine rifle is pushing me to renew my interest in getting one built.  I have a ruger #1 action and will now be up for potential barrelling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint