Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New to Schuetzen/muzzle loading question (Read 2290 times)
gimpyinlincoln

New to Schuetzen/muzzle loading question
Mar 6th, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I’m a long time shooter with experience shooting and reloading for a range of firearms including muzzleloading, but new to Schuetzen and have a basic, perhaps naïve, question.

Ray M. Smith in his book, “The Story of Pope’s Barrels,” states with regard to muzzle loading the bullet, “The bullet is now pushed down the bore with the loading rod to within one-sixteenth of an inch ahead of the chamber.”  I intend to use black powder in a .32-40. In loading black powder muzzleloaders one always seats the ball firmly on the charge as leaving a gap could result in a ringed barrel. Seemingly the 1/16” gap is not a concern in this regard? Wright, in “Loading and Shooting Traditional Schuetzen Rifles,” describes using a plug in a cartridge case to ensure the bullet is in the same spot ahead of the chamber for each shot, but does not specify the width of the gap. Can someone please elaborate on this procedure as to why it is not a concern with regard to “ringing” of the barrel?

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: New to Schuetzen/muzzle loading question
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
“The bullet is now pushed down the bore with the loading rod to within one-sixteenth of an inch ahead of the chamber.” 

The reason why: the bullet will be seated in the leading cuts of the bore lands which is the best position for a bullet to be in the axis of the bore.  The other reason for muzzle loading  a bullet is the bullet base will not have any fins vs when the bullet is seated from the breech.  Fins on a bullet base distort accuracy for the groups on the target.  Also fins can allow gas leakage on ignition going down the bore   

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
gimpyinlincoln
Joe gave you good info. I second what he stated.
The 1/16 gap is not a magic distance ahead of the case mouth but is a good place to start. Your rifle may shoot better with slightly less or slightly more than 1/16.
Muzzle loading with black powder or duplex loads serves one purpose, it allows you to shoot dirty (not cleaning between shots) with the same accuracy as when you clean between shots. Muzzle loading is no more, nor no less accurate than breech seating.
Muzzle loading is as much art as science. My recommendation is to shoot your rifle breech seated with black powder until you get a load and bullet seating depth that gives the best accuracy. In a day's shooting you will get off a lot more shots during load development breech seating rather than muzzle loading when shooting from a bench rest. When breech seating, I recommend you wipe the barrel between shots. First with a damp patch from breech and out the muzzle, followed by one dry patch also through the barrel and out muzzle.
After developing a good load, then move on the muzzle loading if that's the way you choose to shoot your rifle.
That 1/16 gap will not result in a ringed barrel. If you are uncomfortable about shooting with an air gap, you can include a dry felt wad to fill the void between case mouth and bullet base. I have found that some load combinations shoot more accurately with a felt wad than a gap.
Just out of curiosity, what sort of rifle are you shooting?
Randy Wright
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2018 at 3:41pm by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
As a BPCR shooter, I routinely shoot cartridges with an air  gap (like the pretty cavernous 577-450), without any barrel ringing or other adverse effects in original bp rifles.  It is pretty difficult, contrary to what internet lore has to say, to ring a barrel with BP.
In actual fact, with the big cases and BP, air is my preferred filler...
To put it into a historicl perspective:  W.W. Greener actually recommended partial loads with air in the case in preference to a full load of too-fast burning powder, as the full load would be liable to burst a barrel.  Allow me to claim that W. W. Greener is his days probably had forgotten more about loading BP than we know now...
I for one prefer to believe Greener over some anonymous internet lore.

IP Logged

gimpyinlincoln

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all for these informative replies. I know ringing of the barrel or chamber is a controversial subject. I wanted to avoid a potential problem in case I misunderstood the instructions. Knowing what you don't know is more than half the game!  Thanks again!

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
gimpyinlincoln -

welcome to this forum. you are finally in the right place and will receive a warm welcome and the best help available on this planet. I think you are at home with these good folks and are about to have the best time of your shooting life.
Cheers!
Ray

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint