Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Browning and new Winchester BPCR Rifles (Read 12230 times)
Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Re: Browning and new Winchester BPCR Rifles
Reply #30 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks Wayne,I really should buy your book. Not all all BPCRS stay the same though,I have a 40-60 Maynard,35-40 Maynard,38-50 Remington, and all were 45-70 Brownings at one time.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 7:46pm:
gunlaker wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 6:16pm:
I had one of the Winchester .50-90's as well as the .45-70 BPCR.   The .50-90 was nasty in that light little rifle Smiley
Chris.

Chris,

Based on your "was nasty" comment I may be wrong but I'm betting your .50-90 was one of a small batch of Ltd. Winchester Traditional Hunters with concave buttplate & slender full-length octagon barrel & weighed around 8.25lbs.  If so than it was not a "BPCR" model although it was chambered for a traditional BP cartridge.  The BPCR model weighs a good bit more (11.2 lbs without sights), but even then with a typical 700 to 750gr bullet in front of a lot of BP you better be ready when you pull the trigger.

Wayne

Naw, it was definitely one of the BPCR models.  I shot it with 698gr Creedmoor bullets and a large amount of Fg.   

Still too nasty for me Cheesy   In order for a .50-90 to be really useful to me it'd want to be a Tollofson weight rifle.  It was an interesting rifle to own for a while, and would probably make an excellent hunting rifle.

Chris.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:26pm:
texasmac wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 7:46pm:
gunlaker wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 6:16pm:
I had one of the Winchester .50-90's as well as the .45-70 BPCR.   The .50-90 was nasty in that light little rifle Smiley
Chris.

Chris,

Based on your "was nasty" comment I may be wrong but I'm betting your .50-90 was one of a small batch of Ltd. Winchester Traditional Hunters with concave buttplate & slender full-length octagon barrel & weighed around 8.25lbs.  If so than it was not a "BPCR" model although it was chambered for a traditional BP cartridge.  The BPCR model weighs a good bit more (11.2 lbs without sights), but even then with a typical 700 to 750gr bullet in front of a lot of BP you better be ready when you pull the trigger.

Wayne

Naw, it was definitely one of the BPCR models.  I shot it with 698gr Creedmoor bullets and a large amount of Fg.   

Still too nasty for me Cheesy   In order for a .50-90 to be really useful to me it'd want to be a Tollofson weight rifle.  It was an interesting rifle to own for a while, and would probably make an excellent hunting rifle.
Chris.

I'm not man enough to pull the trigger with that load in the 8.25lb Traditional Hunter version.  I bet a lot of those are setting in safes after being fired a couple of times, especially if they tried shooting it off a bench or even worse prone.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:57am
Print Post  
My first BPCR rifle was a Win Hunter with the 28" full octagon barrel. It was a 38-55 I had rechambered to 38-56. Crescent butt-stock made my shoulder black & blue my first match. The last two animals were most unpleasant to shoot. Thankfully, someone at the match took pity and sold me a shotgun pistol-grip stock that was broken in shipping and he had repaired. Made the rifle easily manageable. Can't imagine shooting that rifle in 50-90 more than once.

Wayne - thanks for the info. I have your 1st edition, but it is packed away somewhere as we do our best to downsize into retirement.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Yeah, I imagine that would be a really nasty load in a Traditional Hunter.  I had one of those once, but in .45-70.  It was a well built rifle, but sold it after I bought a C. Sharps  with a heavy barrel and shotgun buttstock that was better suited to BPCR shooting.

I think I just bought the .50-90 BPCR because of the rarity, and thought it was kind of neat.  I might have even  kept it if the safe wasn't so crowded Smiley.

Of my Browning/Winchester rifles the .45-70 BPCR was the best one.   

The only Miroku built rifle I have now is one of the Deluxe Checkered 1886 rifles.  I haven't shot it much but it is very well built.   

I have a strange problem with firearms that are not competition style single shots.  I'll buy them on a whim and they'll sit at the back of the safe.  When dig through my nice single shots to take the new rifle to the range I never quite get there, and instead take one of my trusty single shots out instead.   Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks all. I appreciate your points. I'll mull over them for a while.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint