Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Browning and new Winchester BPCR Rifles (Read 12223 times)
Jimofatl

Re: Browning and new Winchester BPCR Rifles
Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
The MVA action is a piece of art...............

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I had a (Jap) Winchester Traditional Hunter in 38-55. It was well made.  Had the trigger done which helped .  Straight grip that didn’t help. Shot okay.  Sold it and bought a Uberti 1885 with DST.  After getting a mold to fit the bore, it shoots every bit as good and a bit less expensive. 
For someone getting into the sport, the Uberti was a better buy, in my opinion.
Mike.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 3:03pm:
I'm pretty sure that the Browning BPCR has held an NRA record in BPCR at one time.
Chris.

No dispute that this may be true. They are good rifles. However, essentially all current adult BPCR records are held by one person (Brian Chilson) who has won a dozen, or so, national championships, as well. The long-run on animals is silly (with something like 78 pigs & 37 turkeys, etc.) and he only shoots long-runs on chickens (think he has the record at 13 - he had it at 10, then 11, then 12). He shoots a couple of C. Sharps 1885s in 45-90, so they must work pretty well. The one (1) time that Brian shot an 800/900/1000yd BPTR match he set (believe they still stand) the 1000yd and 30-shot aggregate records.

That said, like Chuck V, if I were going to get another 1885 it would start life as an MVA action with DSTs and the Helm lever.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:57pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
4570mike wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:46pm:
I had a (Jap) Winchester Traditional Hunter in 38-55. It was well made.  Had the trigger done which helped .  Straight grip that didn’t help. Shot okay.  Sold it and bought a Uberti 1885 with DST.  After getting a mold to fit the bore, it shoots every bit as good and a bit less expensive. 
For someone getting into the sport, the Uberti was a better buy, in my opinion.
Mike.

This is true. If it's about saving money on an entry level to the sport, might as well get an Uberti. Then you have the simplicity of the original, and cheap price of the Italian job. Once you've decided if you're going to enjoy the sport, you can decide to keep shooting the Uberti, or move up to something spendier.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:50pm:
gunlaker wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 3:03pm:
I'm pretty sure that the Browning BPCR has held an NRA record in BPCR at one time.
Chris.

No dispute that this may be true. They are good rifles. However, essentially all current adult BPCR records are held by one person (Brian Chilson) who has won a dozen, or so, national championships, as well. The long-run on animals is silly (with something like 78 pigs & 37 turkeys, etc.) and he only shoots long-runs on chickens (think he has the record at 13 - he had it at 10, then 11, then 12). He shoots a couple of C. Sharps 1885s in 45-90, so they must work pretty well. The one (1) time that Brian shot an 800/900/1000yd BPTR match he set (believe they still stand) the 1000yd and 30-shot aggregate records.

That said, like Chuck V, if I were going to get another 1885 it would start life as an MVA action with DSTs and the Helm lever.

He is a machine that's for sure!

I have sort of moved into the Meacham built highwalls, at least as far as 1885's go.  I like my CSA 1885's for sure, the stocks fit me quite well ( although the BPCR fit me very well ).   An MVA would be an excellent way to go too.  They build good stuff.

Chris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
One of our regular Schuetzen competitors has shot a clean 250 at 200yds. with his factory made 40-65 Browning SillyWet rifle. That's 10 shots into an 11/2 circle at 200yds. and I think some of you here are cutting the abilities of those rifles well beyond being short of what they are actually capable of doing if the real truth be known as it now is. You can view the target, shooter and brief story as was published in the ASSRA Journal.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I have a Browning bpcr (actually 2 of them but rebarreled one) and a Winchester bpcr.  The Winchester I don't believe has a badger barrel , it's chamber is tighter tolerance than my Shiloh 45-70. Wherever the barrel was made it's an excellent quality barrel.
The trick with buying either of the Miroku assembled rifles is finding one that someone hasn't buggered up the chamber or filled the barrel with lead and copper fouling. Either in great condition is a good value for the money. There are a couple of gunsmiths that can put a trigger job on those for around 75$ that makes a good trigger a great trigger.
Also have a couple of C Sharps 1885's and they are fine rifles.
My suggestion in the end would be if looking at a used Miroku built rifle, a brand new CSA would likely be your best route, be sure to spend the extra for the set trigger.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
I’d like to correct a couple of comments in this thread about the Winchester BPCRs not having Badger barrels.  All the modern Winchester BPCRs (those with the heavy half-octagon half-round) definitely have Badger barrels.  Please allow me to explain further.

Badger Barrels made all the barrels for the Browning BPCRs which were manufactured in 1996 to 1998 which, regardless what others may believe, was the last year the Browning BPCRs were actually manufactured, although some remained in Browning’s inventory for a few years later.

Badger Barrels also supplied all the barrels for the later Winchester Ltd. Edition BPCRs (those with heavy half-octagon half-round barrels) which were manufactured by Miroku for Win. in 2005 to 2010.  Although Badger Barrels was sold to the Principals of Airtronic USA in 2009, Miroku had sufficient Badger barrels to complete the build requirements of Win. at the time.

BTW, since Browning made other 1885 models at the time in the same calibers as the BPCR models, only those with the half-octagon half-round barrels were made by Badger Barrels.  The others feature barrels made by Miroku.

I hope that helps to clarify some of the misconceptions concerning these rifles.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Wayne - do you any idea on how many Brwn'g and how many Winchester BPCR rifles were made? Have seen a fair number over the years at various matches, but always assumed, likely incorrectly, that they were Brownings.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I believe the Winchesters did not come with the AMT sight. I've got a Hoke on my 50-90 BPCR that's a Winchester.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 5:13pm:
Wayne - do you any idea on how many Brwn'g and how many Winchester BPCR rifles were made?

Glenn,

To find out you’ll have to purchase my book on the rifle.  Grin Just kidding, but the following data is found in my book plus everything else you’d like to know about the rifles.  How's that for a bit of advertising?  Wink

Wayne

Per the factories production records, Browning BPCRs were only manufactured from 1996 through 1998.  Over the three-year span approximately 2,500 rifles were produced in .45-70 Government, 1,300 in .40-65 Winchester and exactly 330 Creedmoor’s (34” barrels) chambered in .45-90 Winchester.  The totals include rifles manufactured for the European market but do not include prototypes made in Browning’s USA facilities and a few prototypes made by Miroku Firearms Mfg. Co., Browning’s contract manufacturer located in Japan.

There were a total of 753 Winchester BPCRs made in 6 different lots from 2005 to 2010.  The total includes rifles chambered in .45-70 (2 lots totaling 250), .45-90 (3 lots totaling 377) & .50-90 (1 lot of 126)

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Very interesting bit of history and thank you so very much for sharing Tex. and it was free to boot! If I had a real interest in these firearms and more importantly what they are typically used for I would have already picked up your book and would currently own one. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I had one of the Winchester .50-90's as well as the .45-70 BPCR.   The .50-90 was nasty in that light little rifle Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Hiwall55 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 5:31pm:
I believe the Winchesters did not come with the AMT sight. I've got a Hoke on my 50-90 BPCR that's a Winchester.

Hiwall55,

Of the 6 lots of Win. BPCRs manufactured, 3 lots were sold with AMT sights.  The one lot (126) .50-90's did not come with sights.  Neither did one lot (125) of .45-70's and one lot (126) of .45-90's.

Some of you guys really do need to buy my book.  Wink Roll Eyes Grin

BTW, I bet some of you are wondering why some lots contain 125 rifles & others consist of 126 rifles.  It's because Davidson's, a very well-known firearm distributor had an agreement with Winchester to distribute the lots containing 126 rifles and the Davidson VP got to keep one.

Wayne

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 6:16pm:
I had one of the Winchester .50-90's as well as the .45-70 BPCR.   The .50-90 was nasty in that light little rifle Smiley
Chris.

Chris,

Based on your "was nasty" comment I may be wrong but I'm betting your .50-90 was one of a small batch of Ltd. Winchester Traditional Hunters with concave buttplate & slender full-length octagon barrel & weighed around 8.25lbs.  If so than it was not a "BPCR" model although it was chambered for a traditional BP cartridge.  The BPCR model weighs a good bit more (11.2 lbs without sights), but even then with a typical 700 to 750gr bullet in front of a lot of BP you better be ready when you pull the trigger.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:57pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint