Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Browning and new Winchester BPCR Rifles (Read 12202 times)
Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Browning and new Winchester BPCR Rifles
Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Did not have the money in the 90's when Browning was selling BPCR's. I think Winchester is or was also producing a BPCR, on the lines of an 1885. What is the consensus on these rifles? I'd be interested in a 45-70, or 90. Are the accurate enough for competition? Rugged enough for hunting? Are they a good gun for the money? What would I be looking to pay for one.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Browning and new Winchester BPCR Rifles
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Old Soldier,
The Browning BPCRs are excellent and competitive "out of the box". Quality barrels from Badger Barrels, WI, USA. Made in Japan, NOT China.. Have had several, and they are "minute of angle" with proper BP loads/bullets.

The later Winchesters, or as some call them "Brownchesters"
are/were still made by Mirocou in Japan-the same guns model for model as those made under Brg name. Excellent workmanship. Only thing I don't know for sure is if the Winchester BPCR configuration models still have a Badger Barrel.
The Brg or Win "Traditional Hunter" models are a nice, lighter model, same action, for a hunting rifle. This model comes with long tang, and with a Marbles (type) tang sight mounted. Friend's 38-55 is a tack driver with 335 gr Lyman bullet.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
try to connect with texas mac  he deals in these rifles and is fair and honest   art ruggiero

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Take a look on Gunbroker under Browning BPCR And you'll find them.
I have a 45-70, 40-65 And a 50-90 and they all shoot well.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
The new Winchester BPCR rifles are made the same as the Browning BPCR.   I had a Browning BPCR and it was pretty close to as accurate as my Shiloh in .45-70, maybe the same, i.e. very good.

I sold it because I needed room in the safe.  If it was as easy to disassemble as the originals I'd still have it.

Chris.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Well made and accurate. Believe the Browning BPCR rifles all had Badger barrels, while the later Winchester marked rifles did not. All were assembled/made by Miroku in Japan and are high quality. While externally very similar to the originals, internally they are very different and most find them difficult to work on. Lee Shaver will touch-up the trigger for a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2018 at 7:28am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
For my money the C Sharps Highwall is the better deal. All the options one could desire, a long list of calibers and a rifle that is built on the original patterns rather than a lawyered up facsimile.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Premod70
I , too understand the point about the internals.
BUT, pay half again or more for a C Sharps.....
and I bet it will shoot no better than a Brg.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
beltfed wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:26pm:
Premod70
I , too understand the point about the internals.
BUT, pay half again or more for a C Sharps.....
and I bet it will shoot no better than a Brg.
beltfed/arnie

I get your thinking but to me there is no comparison between the two, I like the traditional look and quality plus I get to support our country's gun industry.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 7:33am
Print Post  
For what it's worth, I've owned and shot several of both. Bwn'g/Win/Miroku and C. Sharps. If BWM breaks your stuck and good luck getting it repaired in a timely fashion. If the C. Sharps, which is a faithful copy of the original breaks (generally the worst that happens is a firing pin) then you can pull the screw, pull out the old and put in a new one in about 5min. If I wasn't shooting the Hepburn these days I would be shooting a C. Sharps (or MVA) 1885. Am also someone who thinks it is important to support our home-grown gun industry.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 8:59am
Print Post  
In my opinion they are OK for what they are.
However they will never hold a candle to an original Winchester. They are over complicated and never meant to be worked on by you. There are a couple of people who make exact copies of the Winchester High-Wall action get one of those and have it built the way you want.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Chuck V
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I agree with most of the previous posters-  the Browning and Winchester 1885 BPCRs are excellent rifles, well made, accurate, and extremely attractive, especially at their price point.  Posters are correct also in their comments regarding the complexity and difficulty in getting service/repairs/parts.
While excellent firearms, we must remember they are in-fact REPLICAs of the original 1885s.
In recent years I've owned one of each of the Browning and Winchester versions, both in 45-70.  Excellent rifles- no doubt about it.
Since I've been playing with schuetzen rifles in recent years, I've become a fan of double set triggers, and there is no way at all to get this added to the Brownchester 1885.  DARN!!!  If someone knows how to get this done, please share that info-
So,  I contacted MVA about a year ago, confirming that they were in fact currently making an exact copy (modern steels) of the 1885.  Yipee!  Put my name down immediately on the order list, and waited patiently.  Got the phone call a few days ago that my action was ready to ship, and it included the bent tangs for a pistol grip as well as double triggers!  Got payment right off to them, and it's on its way to my FFL holder as we speak.
Now it is incumbent upon me to finish this action into the fine target rifle I've lusted after for decades.  No more excuses for me, just make the decision and get it done.
I'll keep shooting my current 1885's, but know they don't hold a candle to the REAL THING- Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
I'd agree with the C Sharps as a complete gun, or MVA if I wanted to build up exactly what I wanted. I like the idea of being able to support US makers, but also the ability to break it down myself, and not have to ship it back and forth for repairs.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I will be in agreement, I did/do not like the needlessly complex Brnchester innards. But they do shoot well, and
can be bought for "only in the teens" complete with good sights as compared to a
C.Sharps or MVA based "1885" at up in the mid high "2000s". 
I will defendThe BRnchesters as a Very Good starting point for a person with limited funds.
And, those complex innards are not that hard to disassemble and reassemble-If Needed- what with basic instructions from Lee Shaver or TexasMac. 
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I think that the Winchester/Browning rifles are a great way to get into the sport, and maybe they are all you need.   I'm pretty sure that the Browning BPCR has held an NRA record in BPCR at one time.

It might not be what people want to hear, but my Browning BPCR was more accurate than any of my C. Sharps 1885 target rifles, with the exception of those that were chambered with custom reamers.  Smiley

The only thing that I wasn't overly pleased with, functionality wise, on the Browning was that the chamber was too long and needed cut down .45-90 brass.

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint