Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My winter Rolling Block Projet (Read 11949 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: My winter Rolling Block Projet
Reply #30 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Toss the trigger return spring and make a new one from .045" piano wire. It will bring the trigger pull waaaaay down! Then if the hammer pull is too heavy simply remove some metal from the sides, but stay away from the ends. Be sure to try it occasionally as you remove metal, so you don't go too far. And don't get the spring hot and change color while grinding!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:02am:
Toss the trigger return spring and make a new one from .045" piano wire. It will bring the trigger pull waaaaay down! Then if the hammer pull is too heavy simply remove some metal from the sides, but stay away from the ends. Be sure to try it occasionally as you remove metal, so you don't go too far. And don't get the spring hot and change color while grinding!

That makes really good  sense !!!  I pulled the trigger
plate 1/2 way out to get to the spring screws Wink  to start
I put a .030 shim under the trigger spring and that was a goodly change. I'll get after the hammer spring ! This is going to make a world of difference Grin in the pull!! 
Ol Deuce

Thanks Vall Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:05pm by Ol_Deuce »  

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
The heaver hammer spring was to reliably fire the harder primers used in 8X58RD ammo, addressing an early concern about higher chamber pressures from white powder. I replaced hammer spring in mine with one from 1867 model-- gave suitable trigger pull, which gunsmith improved.

On many 8X58RD chamber rollers the rim size cut is same as for 45-70. If yours is, you probably have your ejector issue solved. Mine has and 45-70 brass makes excellent 8X58RD, albiet a bit short.

My 8X58RD roller was mint military condition when I bought it. Only thing I did to outside is have Marbles tang sight installed. For me, issue stock is right drop for offhand shooting.

Very satisfactory rifle for 1500 fps lead bullet loads.

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:33pm:
The heaver hammer spring was to reliably fire the harder primers used in 8X58RD ammo, addressing an early concern about higher chamber pressures from white powder. I replaced hammer spring in mine with one from 1867 model-- gave suitable trigger pull, which gunsmith improved.

On many 8X58RD chamber rollers the rim size cut is same as for 45-70. If yours is, you probably have your ejector issue solved. Mine has and 45-70 brass makes excellent 8X58RD, albiet a bit short.

My 8X58RD roller was mint military condition when I bought it. Only thing I did to outside is have Marbles tang sight installed. For me, issue stock is right drop for offhand shooting.

Very satisfactory rifle for 1500 fps lead bullet loads.

Mine does have the next generation ejector and the rim of the 45-70 brass does fit Wink....Very happy !!  Ol Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #34 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
I did keep one of my 8x58R Rolling Blocks with the 1890s conversion intact and made cases from .45-90 cases.

I made 8x58R breech seating cases so my custom made cases would last longer and shoot more accurately.

I was using a 235 grain .323 diameter Paul Jones bullet with H108.

My 1867 Rolling Block; converted to 8x58R, basically has a new barrel on it as well as new innards and was case hardened again when it was converted.

This RB is the first year of the 1867 Model Swedish Rolling Blocks; that actually has a Remington stamp on the tang, as opposed to the later years where they were made by Carl Gustaf or Husqvarna.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2018 at 8:56am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Dave,

Is the buttstock wood on your 8X58RD original? Wood on mine is in very good condition but not nearly so nicely grained. I have done nothing to wood on mine except a bit of cleaning and a very thin coat of Truoil.

FYI: My standard load for 200M silohuotte is Lyman 205 gr GC bullet 0,329" over 20gr 4759 in Privi Partizan 8X56R cases fireformed to headspace on shoulder (rim too small). Groove-to-groove is 0,325" and chamber throat is slightly "oversize", so I am effectively matching slightly oversize bullet to throat. Other bullet is Lyman 250 gr 0,325" that protrudes well into rifling. Both are deadly on metallic critters so long as I do my part.

I had done a bit of early trial with breach seating also using cases formed from 45/90 Rem cases but quit because fixed ammo meets all my needs.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #36 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The buttstock is original except it has been coated with one coat of Tung Oil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint