Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My winter Rolling Block Projet (Read 11931 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: My winter Rolling Block Projet
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Numrich also has not only the original Remington pistol grip lower tangs, but also the original wood too. These are from the run they made in the late 1990's, and very nice quality, unlike some Numrich stuff.
The tangs are $45, and the deluxe custom shop wood set I bought was $165 for buttstock and forearm with color cased steel forearm tip and buttplate. Also nicely checkered. I got the last custom shop wood set, so the regular sets use the black plastic buttplates, and not steel forearm tip. But they're a fair bit less money also.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 10:28am:
Numrich also has not only the original Remington pistol grip lower tangs, but also the original wood too. These are from the run they made in the late 1990's, and very nice quality, unlike some Numrich stuff.
The tangs are $45, and the deluxe custom shop wood set I bought was $165 for buttstock and forearm with color cased steel forearm tip and buttplate. Also nicely checkered. I got the last custom shop wood set, so the regular sets use the black plastic buttplates, and not steel forearm tip. But they're a fair bit less money also.

I checked out Numrick  Cheesy   Those parts are for the RB-1
and my Rolling Block is "1867??"  does all these parts interchange?  Undecided  Wink  Is there any kind of a interchange ??

Ol Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Ol_Deuce wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:13pm:

and my Rolling Block is "1867??"  does all these parts interchange?  Undecided  Wink  Is there any kind of a interchange ??

Ol Deuce

Remington built their 1990's version based on the early blackpowder versions, including using the sliding extractor. The parts will fit your 1867 just fine, although the lower tang has a slight taper, and it took a few minutes with a file for me to thin the forward half down to fit my 1867 receiver. I also had to shape the trigger plate a bit to fit the receiver contour, but it was worth the time.
This is mine after shaping, fitting, and narrowing/thinning the top tang. I also reshaped the hammer and breechblock spur to make them "sporter" shape:

They also have all the parts for the longrange vernier tang sights, which costs about $135 and took 5 minutes to assemble.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
The 1867 Rolling Blocks were converted to 8x58R in the 1890s.

This conversion included changing the straight extractor to a circular extractor, adding a a cocking indicator, reharden the receiver and replacing the innards.

Not sure if the original No.1 Military parts will work with the conversion parts put in in 1890.

An original 1867 can accept the No. 1 parts but not so sure they will match up with the parts from the 1890 conversions.
Definitely not the extractor since the screw hole for the old straight extractor has been filled in in the conversion.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2018 at 8:30pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:25pm:
Ol_Deuce wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:13pm:

Ol Deuce

Remington built their 1990's version based on the early blackpowder versions, including using the sliding extractor. The parts will fit your 1867 just fine, although the lower tang has a slight taper, and it took a few minutes with a file for me to thin the forward half down to fit my 1867 receiver. I also had to shape the trigger plate a bit to fit the receiver contour, but it was worth the time.
This is mine after shaping, fitting, and narrowing/thinning the top tang. I also reshaped the hammer and breechblock spur to make them "sporter" shape:

They also have all the parts for the longrange vernier tang sights, which costs about $135 and took 5 minutes to assemble.

Thank you!!  All this Rolling Block info is well needed  Cheesy My Winchesters better play well with this Ol'Girl !  LoL 

Ol Deuce

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
The latest version of the rotary extractors wont work with earlier parts, but the BP rotary extractors will work. They don't have the slot for the retaining screw, and simply lay over the raised area on the breechblock. I've tried the later style, and the longer length hits inside the trigger plate and only allows the block to open to 45 degrees, making it useless. So if your converted military uses the extractor with no retaining screw it should be fine with the new style PG trigger plate. 
Of course any mixing of parts on Rolling Blocks from different generations may involve some fitting work to make it all work perfectly.

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:40am:
The latest version of the rotary extractors wont work with earlier parts, but the BP rotary extractors will work. They don't have the slot for the retaining screw, and simply lay over the raised area on the breechblock. I've tried the later style, and the longer length hits inside the trigger plate and only allows the block to open to 45 degrees, making it useless. So if your converted military uses the extractor with no retaining screw it should be fine with the new style PG trigger plate. 
Of course any mixing of parts on Rolling Blocks from different generations may involve some fitting work to make it all work perfectly.

My package will be  "Rolling" up tomorrow ! Roll Eyes  Ol Deuce

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Picture of the circular extractor that replaced the straight extractor when the 1867 Rolling Blocks were converted to 8x58R in the 1890s.

This extractor works perfectly on .45-70 or .40-65 cases if you replace the barrel.

I converted mine to .38-50 Remington Hepburn and had to have a new extractor manufactured.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:56pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:50pm:
Picture of the circular extractor that replaced the straight extractor when the 1867 Rolling Blocks were converted to 8x58R in the 1890s.

This extractor works perfectly on .45-70 or .40-65 cases if you replace the barrel.

I converted mine to .38-50 Remington Hepburn and had to have a new extractor manufactured.

Hi Dave ....do you have a photo of your new extractor ???
I'm thinking of making the rolling block a take-down  Wink
If I do it will need something done with the extracting Department ........ Roll Eyes  Ol Deuce 

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #24 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:31am
Print Post  
The rifle is on loan to my niece so I cannot take a picture of the newest extractor.

It looks very similar to the one in the picture except it is designed for a smaller case head.

A person would made the extractor for me and who sells the Swedish Rolling Block and supplies parts is:

Steven Holborn
8960 Hwy 17 East
Warren , Ontario
POH 2N0
705-967-0940
itm@true802.ca

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:31am:
The rifle is on loan to my niece so I cannot take a picture of the newest extractor.

It looks very similar to the one in the picture except it is designed for a smaller case head.

A person would made the extractor for me and who sells the Swedish Rolling Block and supplies parts is:

Steven Holborn
8960 Hwy 17 East
Warren , Ontario
POH 2N0
705-967-0940
itm@true802.ca

Thank You Dave!!!!   Wink    Ol Deuce

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
9:00 sharp the FedX was at my Door Cheesy Cheesy  Nice box job!
what came out of the box for $295 made my eyes Big Grin
This rolling block is MINTY......No pitting, All the screw heads are perfect! The moving parts show No Wear! the Hammer face is Perfect.....It's the beginning of a Grand 
Project Cool
Ol Deuce

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:22am
Print Post  
The Green Mountain Barrel will be in my hands Wednesday
But still have a month to wait on the chamber ream !!! 

Cheesy Ol Deuce

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 1:21am
Print Post  
My question is .........The hammer pressure on this old
rolling block is really heave ! Does the gun require that 
much pressure ???  Been doing alot of cleaning and I've
got a very smooth trigger pull with no creep ! the tenison
on the trigger intent !!   
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Cheesy Cheesy

Grin Ol Deuce

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Try backing the main spring screw off 1/2 turn it may do wonders for your trigger pull.
Ld1

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint