Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fair price to pay for an 1885? (Read 1428 times)
zeke

Fair price to pay for an 1885?
Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
      Hi All:

At an auction yesterday, I lusted for a Win.1885 32-40 that was in fair shape.  The stock had been replaced with an well worn tigre tail maple stock, the bluing was in 50% the case colours were gone but the gun locked up tightly, the bore on the No.3 barrel looked good and it had not been fired much as it locked up tightly and the extractor was not worn.  The sights were orginal rear tang and blade front.

An "expert" suggested that due to the poor stock and butt hook it would likley sell for about $1200.00. Is this an accurate estimate? I was looking for a gun that I could restock and re blue as a project.  I guess that I was looking at it as barreled action.

I was unable to stay until the gun was sold. Did I miss out on a "deal?" I own the same gun in great condition.  What would mine be worth with a Beacher front sight and DSS?

Comments and or suggestions.

Tia,

Zeke

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fair price to pay for an 1885?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:06am
Print Post  
zeke wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:24am:
      An "expert" suggested that due to the poor stock and butt hook it would likley sell for about $1200.00. Is this an accurate estimate?

Seems plausible, IF you really wanted a .32-40...which most Winchester collectors don't much care for; but it wouldn't be a steal.  That's assuming the hook plate was original.  How do you know the tang sight was original?  An ordinary Lyman, unless it letters with the gun, adds maybe $100, twice that if it's the correct Lyman "S" code.

The DSS on yours should add a minimum of $500 to what it's otherwise worth. 

Several variations of Beach sights--the patented originals, maybe $200, Lyman copies half that--on the gun, not what they'd bring sold separately.  (Which is why stripping off good sights to sell separately is what many dealers routinely do.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint