Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic More on the Burnside rifle (Read 2301 times)
boho

More on the Burnside rifle
Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
This rifle and the Smith are really what started me in shooting.When the I asked my dad for the 2 rifles that had spent the last 25 years in the hall closet I was already married. And looking for another hobby. I was just coming off a 6 year photography
faze darkroom and all. At the time the only rifle I owned was A Marlin 39 That was spending it's life in one of my closets. After getting the guns I was determined to shoot them. It wasn't hard to find info on the web and I got what was needed to load and shoot them. Once again starting a hobby ass backwards. I built my darkroom before ever trying to develop or print black and white film. Here I was starting to shoot with a black powder Civil War relic. The Burnside uses a cone shaped brass case with a flash hole at the bottom (small) end and shoots .54 short stubby bullet. Round balls work good too. They could even be used as a muzzle loader in a battlefield pinch. You could probably even breech seat a bullet, The cases will last forever. Hum............?

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: More on the Burnside rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I had one of those years ago but mine wasn't nearly as good as yours. Bought some cases from Dixie and shot it some.

JMH

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
That looks like the perfect rifle encompassing the best of both worlds; ML and cartridge  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I had a similar experience, bought a Smith Carbine, then a mold and caps from that good 'ol boy Turner Kirkland.  I used neoprene tubeing from a chest tube drainage set for cartridge cases, filled them with maybe 30 grains of black and put a stopper from blood drawing tubes to hold it in.  I discarded the stopper after chambering and found that I could hit a 10 foot oil storage tank at 300 yards.  Later, Dixie sold some cartridge cases.

James

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint