Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Burnside rifle (Read 2211 times)
boho

Burnside rifle
Feb 17th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
I thought I would share pictures of this old gun with those interested. I will be turning 60 this year and this rifle has been in the family as long as I can remember. My father (not a gun person) had them (also a Smith) in big frames in the basement "play room" hanging on the wall. I can still remember carefully unscrewing the little pipe clamp that held up the barrel and taking them down to play with. I know my dad got them from my Grandfather and he worked as a warehouse guy for Mayflower and was always bringing us things He "found" or was "unclaimed". The rifles were most likely surplus from Bannermann's. I am just amazed at the craftsmanship and machining that could be done in 1856 to 1865 when this fifth model came out. Without electricity!
Enjoy 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Burnside rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Amazing condition for such an early gun! I sure like it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Wow jaw dropping condition and what a beautiful firearm and rarely seen handed down family heirloom for the next generation. 
I enjoyed the part about Mayflower my Dad bought an unclaimed Red Ryder BB gun from one of their auctions when in the first grade. My brother and I killed many an empty BB tube placed on one of the seats on our swing set while still living in town. We ventured down the alley one day unknown to Dad as their were plenty of birds in the neighbors trees and he at work. On return there was a Police officer waiting for us and I would have rather gotten real a nice butt whooping rather than having the gun taken away for a few days and a good lesson learned. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
An old fellow of my acquaintance owned a pretty fair collection of Civil War carbines and showed them to me from time to time. I was fascinated with the variety, and ingenuity those things displayed. I'd known about several (Spenser and Sharps, for instance), but there were some I'd never heard of at all. Musta been dozens more he didn't have, too. 
But, I remember that the Burnsides- he had two different ones- were among the nicest to my thinking. Nice one you have there, and I thank you for sharing with us.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
boho wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 5:00pm:
I thought I would share pictures of this old gun with those interested. I will be turning 60 this year and this rifle has been in the family as long as I can remember. My father (not a gun person) had them (also a Smith) in big frames in the basement "play room" hanging on the wall. I can still remember carefully unscrewing the little pipe clamp that held up the barrel and taking them down to play with. I know my dad got them from my Grandfather and he worked as a warehouse guy for Mayflower and was always bringing us things He "found" or was "unclaimed". The rifles were most likely surplus from Bannermann's. I am just amazed at the craftsmanship and machining that could be done in 1856 to 1865 when this fifth model came out. Without electricity!

Who needs electricity when you've got a steam-engine turning the shafts & pulleys?

Remarkable workmanship--esp. under wartime conditions!  But there's another CW carbine with a breech mechanism that's even more amazing: the Starr, made in NYC.  Watching the breech open & close is hypnotizing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint