Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Frank Wesson rifles (Read 4421 times)
LRF
Oldtimer

Frank Wesson rifles
Feb 10th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
A friend and I went to the gunshow in Sioux Falls today. It was my first time and it was a most interesting show. Lots of older rifles. A lot of nice lever guns and a pretty fair number of single shots. Some excellent Remingtons, both rollers and Hepburns. Quite a number of nice Sharps, including at least 3 Borchardts. Not many Ballards, one Montana, which was neat to see, a #10 with a replaced barrel and the price asked was over $6K. And a couple #2 which were priced reasonable but I wasn't in the market. And have never seen so many dealers with large displays of sights, every kind and some very nice tang and windage fronts.
But the pictures below are of 2 of Frank Wessons rifles, and #1 which was serial number 2 and a #2 that was really special. And wow the asking for it was $41K. The dealer had some other really nice guns for sure. He let me take the pics so I hope you like.

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: Frank Wesson rifles
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Wow!  Sounds like an amazing show with rifles you’d only see in books! The Frank Wesson No.1 rifles are quite rare but at $41k it’s priced to make believe. A few of these, two I think, went through Amoskeag Auction in the last three years for approx half that price. ... not cheap, but not $41k either.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Joe the #1 was priced $20.5K the #2 was $41K. Thanks for viewing the post.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I'm betting that was Dan Woods' table. The guns look familiar, and he's the authority on Frank Wesson guns. He wrote the book on them too.

Would have enjoyed seeing lots of old sights at a gun show! Sights and accessories are tough to find at almost any gun shows these days! All that stuff ends up on Fleabay.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I did not talk to a Dan Woods. The table was Tony Maddox. There was a another collector with him that I do not recall his name.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Tony posts here occasionally, and is a member. So maybe he'll see this thread and respond.

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
rockislands last action had a left handed # 2 I did not watch but it sold for $5,500 total. Kinda puts it in prospective.

GTalk  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Thanks for posting the pics of Tony's display. I spoke to him (via phone) at the show. He said it was a very good show. You can always count on him to show up with a great selection of guns and accessories for sale, especially some of those rare and hard to find items.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
bohemianway wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:33pm:
rockislands last action had a left handed # 2 I did not watch but it sold for $5,500 total. Kinda puts it in prospective.

I see that gun. I also see that it had some condition issues which may have effected its desirability, "A long gash is present on top of the frame. The bolster is cracked." & "Mechanically functions fine, but lever is slightly loose."
I only am the messenger here and sharing pics of rifles not often seen, for the viewers pleasure. Whether the pictured guns have the value asked is a private matter between owner and buyer. The buyer with money in hand, ultimately, always established true value

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Julia Auction sold an immaculate No 1 Long Range for $23,000 in 2010. 
Two years ago I met Dan Woods at the Colorado Gun Collectors Show in Denver. Nicest guy you could ever meet. He had a No 1 that was in perfect condition with both tang sights for $15,000. Couldn't afford it but it was collector quality.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Fogman wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:18am:
Julia Auction sold an immaculate No 1 Long Range for $23,000 in 2010. 
Two years ago I met Dan Woods at the Colorado Gun Collectors Show in Denver. Nicest guy you could ever meet. He had a No 1 that was in perfect condition with both tang sights for $15,000. Couldn't afford it but it was collector quality.

Good description of Dan Woods! He is indeed one of the really nice guys in our hobby!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint