Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Trade Card (Read 3031 times)
45govt

Trade Card
Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Something interesting on e-bay, a little expensive but neat.
Looks like a Ballard
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks, Don

ASSRA Member # 4098

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Trade Card
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Pretty neat. Would have thought Roth would be pictured with a Stevens, since he worked there and shot for them? But maybe it was earlier or later than his time at Stevens?
It surely is a Ballard rifle though! #6 Schuetzen if I'm not mistaken.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 8:20am
Print Post  
You'll notice that Fred Roth is listed as the proprietor and that the business is in Chicago.  Thus the card surely does represent a time before or after his Stevens employment.

But why the antlers?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I think it was Fred Ross that was the shooter for Stevens.  Ledball

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:54pm:
But maybe it was earlier or later than his time at Stevens?

To bad the card isn't dated, but from the less than youthful appearance suggested by this drawing (assuming it's an half-way accurate representation), along with the accumulation of shooting medals, I'd think later, maybe, though that doesn't explain the Ballard.  I think his glory days as a schuetzen competitor were winding down about 1906-8, well after Ballard production ended of course, and it's certain trade-cards in German would have become verboten after the start of WW I.  Setting up a business to capitalize on his fame as a target shooter also seems like something he would have done after, not before, his career with Stevens. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Since the Ballard rifles were popular for decades after Marlin stopped making them in 1890, it doesn't surprise me to see one depicted in an advertisement. Just thought Ross being a factory shooter for Stevens, that he'd be depicted with a Stevens. 
Ross was at Stevens long after Pope left around 1905, and between his work in Stevens' barrel shop he was also still shooting matches with Stevens rifles. I have no idea when he left Stevens, or started this business, but my guess would be much later than 1909. Match results listed in Forest and Stream in 1913 still show Fred Ross as one of the top scorers. There are also listings of Ross taking an order of a Stevens 52 for Dr. Hudson as a prize he won at a match. So I'd guess he was still at Stevens and representing them in taking that order.

I did a Google map search of 159 Wells Street, Ma. and it's still a residential neighborhood. Odd that it's listed as his headquarters, and that it would be a meeting place as an eating and drinking establishment? Maybe he ran this out of his home since it was listed as a "Every Sunday Morning" only schedule?
I suppose it could be something he ran while at Stevens also, but most Schuetzen matches were held on Sunday afternoons after church. If it was while he was still shooting, he'd rarely be there on a Sunday.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:02am by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint