Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The New Thread (Read 4166 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

The New Thread
Oct 20th, 2017 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Great Idea. Thanks for starting it. I could post a picture of me moose hunting with a single shot rifle but that has been all I've done the last couple of years, just hunting. No killing a moose. Embarrassed Hopefully others here can do better.

JS

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: The New Thread
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Good to see a special category for hunting with classic single shot rifles. I started at age 14 with a Winchester LW 32-20 and an original tong-type tool that included a mould and sizer. Had a box of High Speed 80gr HP loads that provided brass for the BP loads I was allowed to make for my own use. That rifle became one of my primary fox rifles, some with those 80gr HP loads, some with BP loads.

Years later a TC .54 cal muzzleloader became my deer rifle, accounting for almost as many deer as the various turnbolts I used, all one shot kills.

Even later, the 7X57R barrel of a very nice kombi gun accounted for a few turkeys when hunting grouse with the 16X67 shot barrel. Does that count as a single shot?

More recently another original Win LW 32-20 has been my turkey, etc. rifle.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I suppose whacking muskrats in the yard with a Favorite doesn't count.   

How about woodchucks with a 44 1/2?  I did for about a dozen when I was in Michigan.  Mostly at modest ranges. They were undermining the barn something awful.  That .25-20 was a very accurate rifle. Got one at about 50 yards, animal prone and facing me.  When I went to pick up the body I couldn't see an entrance wound.   Turned out it went in right through the open mouth.  I'd held on his nose.

<div class=

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Nice Shot!
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Oct 21st, 2017 at 9:50pm:
  When I went to pick up the body I couldn't see an entrance wound.   Turned out it went in right through the open mouth.  I'd held on his nose.   

Had a similar experience once, as a teenager hunting bedded down red foxes on a snowy day. We would glass higher places in open fields for a pair of little black triangles -- the black ears of a male fox. These carefully bedded down foxes would sleep a while, awake and look around, then go back to sleep. Only way to get in range for a 32-20 or .22LR was to crawl directly toward the fox, stopping every time it raised it head. Tried to get about a 100 yds away (rifles zeroed at 100). In this instance I aimed at base of one ear because the foxes head was tilted. Fired shot and nothing happened. Waited and waited. No movement from fox. Should I shoot again? Was it a real fox or was someone playing a trick with a dead fox? It had been raising it head, but, not since I shot .... what happened? Crawling in many inches of snow for maybe a half hour had left me really cold -- and now I was really freezing. So I got slowly up and walked toward fox. Bullet had gone in eye just below ear and exited through spine -- instant kill and total immobilization.

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Hmmmm! Similar tale. The summer of my Jr year in HS I had three afternoons a 
week to myself. I would grab my Enfield P17 and some copper coated kirksite handloads . I had hunted this area enough so I pretty much knew
which dots on rocks were chucks. Came over a ridge and spotted a dot/chuck at
400 yds. Dropped into a gully and made my approach. Climbed to the brim of the
gully and found myself about 100 yds from the target. No closer concealed approach
was possible so I took a careful rest and squeezed off. Darned. Chuck drops from 
vertical to horizontal but doesn't run for it's hole. Did I miss?  I waited about 5 min and then walked up.I had drilled it thru the liver and it just collapsed; no other symptoms of
a hit. Only years later when I could afford a scope did I realize how lucky that shot 
was. Barrel was really washed out. It would group 3-4" at 100 yds and that was 
with Sierra 180 gr boattails.  Nevertheless, it was all I had for many years and it got its share of deer.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Having started out in the first grade with a used Red Ryder BB gun it being the demise of an endless supply  english sparrows. I have hunted most all of my life from that point forward and there are just to many good time tales to tell. Looking back the most enjoyabe for me was while using my Ruger 1B in 6MM Rem. and long before I knew anything about cast bullets. One my high lights would probably be the taking of a wild pig with that rifle just before I gave up hunting and took up competitve shooting having lost my hunting partner and very dear friend.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint