Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Spirit of original? (Read 2445 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Spirit of original?
Sep 22nd, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Just curious how far one is allowed to deviate from "spirit of original" in the quarter bore catagory?  What I have is an original Borchardt action smithed by Charley Durham of Denver, Co. with a 26" med. heavy round brl. and stocked by Jerry fisher around 1964..Rifle is in classic style with ebony forend tip & pistol grip cap, checkered steel Neidner style buttplate...could probably pass for an 1880 era fancy stocked Sharps sporting rifle..except for circa 1960 era fixed Leupold 7X and the caliber... .25 Ackley Improved Krag.  Now Dr, Mann was playing with the .25 Krag around 1904, which fits in our self-imposed time era..the only thing different is the 40* shoulder & nearly non tapered case body.  If I were to shoot plain-base bullets, would there be a problem?  I spent the last 10 days with tight patches & JB & letting soak overnight with copper remover until patches finally came out unstained...I just had to find out how accurate it was with jacketed for my accuracy bench mark with cast.  Now the real fun can begin.

IP Logged

FITZ-G

Re: Spirit of original?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
22-5-40, I think that the Rule in Quarter Bore is .25 caliber.
And the Rifle must meet the specifications for an ASSRA Single Shot Rifle. I have a Pope .25 Neidner Krag and if I wished I would not expect any objections if I chose to shoot in a Quarter Bore Match.  It by the way has an excellent Bore and has shot a couple of very fine Bench target groups with Jacketed Bullets. I may in the future do as you are planning,
try to shoot Lead in it. I have not shot it much as I wished to preserve that fine Barrel from the potential Jacketed bullet wear and tear. Now this is just my opinion as I have not shot any Quarter Bore Matches. Maybe someone who is with that group will speak up here. HTH Regards, FITZ-G. Smiley

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
don't think that is true, I believe it is the rifle and cartridge. I have a 25 hornet ballard I believe doesn't qualify. JMO

IP Logged

peterson2520ss

Life member 82

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
The thing I see as a problem is the modern scope.
Det

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
What about the caliber.  Only traditional calibers are listed in Joe's post.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint