Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need Stevens 44 lower tang (Read 3138 times)
pmcfall
Senior Forum Member

Need Stevens 44 lower tang
Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Any ideas where I might find a pistol grip lower tang for a Stevens 44?  I don't see any on CPA's web site.
Thanks
Phil

IP Logged

AJ

Re: Need Stevens 44 lower tang
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I might be wrong, but I think the lower tang is integral with the receiver on the 44.  On the 44 1/2 it is a separate piece.  An added consideration is that the serial number is on the lower tang...

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
IF you have a "44" action with set triggers, the tang is a separate piece, and in fact interchangeable with the one used for the 44 1/2.  An actual 44 with DST is very unlikely, but higher grade versions (45 and up) are not uncommon.  

If your receiver is marked 44 on the face and has the DST tang, I'd like to know more.  I am in possession of the only 44-marked DST receiver that I have ever seen or heard tell of, and would love to know that it has a sibling.

Phil
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2017 at 7:53pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
44 actions with single triggers have a lower tang cast as part of the action.  44's with double set trigger had the lower tang cut off and milled out.  They were then fitted with a separate lower tang held in place by 2 screws.
It "MAY" be possible to use a 44 1/2 tang.  Ask Gail at CPA.   
A few years ago I replaced a vintage 44 1/2 tang with one of theirs but had to do some hand work to get it to fit.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
830singleshot wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 7:43pm:
44 actions with single triggers have a lower tang cast as part of the action.  44's with double set trigger had the lower tang cut off and milled out.  They were then fitted with a separate lower tang held in place by 2 screws.
It "MAY" be possible to use a 44 1/2 tang.  Ask Gail at CPA.  
A few years ago I replaced a vintage 44 1/2 tang with one of theirs but had to do some hand work to get it to fit.

Not "may".   I've got 'em both on the bench at the moment. The tang assemblies do interchange, as do the internal pieces.  Only difference is that CPA uses a modern thread for the two rear screws that fix the tang to the receiver, and the pivot pins in the CPA assembly are slightly smaller.

<div class=

IP Logged

pmcfall
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  Belongs to a friend and I haven't actually had it in my hands.  It is a single trigger and I just figured the lower tang was replaceable like my 44 1/2's.  Live and learn.
Phil

IP Logged

rmc
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Uscra,
I too have a 44 Stevens dbl set trigger in 22lr,  It is a straight tang and ser.# 18 176   The rifle is currently apart as the hammer is cracked where the toggle and fly slot is.   
been looking for a replacement but will probably have to make a new hammer as Mod 44 hammers with a fly are hard to find!!
Will see if I can get some photos posted.
DC

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Wizard, rmc.    

I just took mine apart to see if the CPA hammer would work for you.  The hammers seem to be interchangeable but, once again, CPA has rationalized their design to use modern screw threads, and as a consequence the axle hole in the hammer is about .012  smaller than the screw that mine has. (Mine is down in the 4-digit s/n range.)  Your s/n puts it up in the range where it should have the 6 o'clock extractor and the two-piece "bolt" for the hammer and lever pivots.  Can you confirm?  

If you can get around the axle diameter issue, maybe by bushing the holes in the receiver, you should be able to use a CPA hammer.  Their part is very hard, so opening their hole up will require an EDM machine or a Moore Jig Grinder.  And you can't open it much - the upper web is only about .060". 

<div class=

IP Logged

rmc
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Uscra,
I looked at the CPA hammers but the hammer spur is what I feel, way different than the original Stevens design. I will just make one when I can get to it.  Seems like everyone elses stuff gets done first..........
You are correct the axels are the two piece design. and it is a 6 o'clock extractor.

Also,There is another rifle just like mine up in Glasgow Montana, A fellow just shot it in the 22 match last weekend at the Summer Heat match.  don't know the serial number, could find out if you need it.
DC

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
The spur doesn't look all that much different, but I'll admit that it's not 100% congruent.

Yes, I'm interested in knowing details of all such rifles.  I've been keeping a database, to give us a better handle on when specific features appeared in the s/n sequence, and to some extent dating.  I've stopped logging common configurations, but these unusual ones I'm still adding in.

Want to know: s/n, caliber, DST or not, extractor position, type of pivot axles, sights, barrel marking.  Early specimens have screw axles where yours has the bolts, and I've found that there are three variations of screw diameter.  When I see a specimen on a for-sale site, I archive a few photos. I do not log personal ID data on the owners.  Database is no big secret, if you're interested P/M me your regular email and I'll copy it to you.  It's an Excel file.  

The cobbler's children go without shoes, the psychiatrist's children are all nuts, I know the feeling.

<div class=

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 12:49am
Print Post  
I spoke with a friend a couple of days ago who has a 44 DST rifle with a number matching 32-40 barrel. It's a 4 digit serial number, 7 o'clock extractor. It came to him many, many years ago as a barreled action. He says it has no marks on the front of the receiver.

If he remembers he'll bring it to our match on Saturday. I can take pictures and get any other information that may be of interest. Let me know what I should be looking for.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint