Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard schuetzen display (Read 26886 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard schuetzen display
Reply #30 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 7:25am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 16th, 2017 at 7:26pm:
Hopefully I can beg him to make one for me, so I can shoot the Pacific farther! There's a 990 yd. dinger out there, but I ran out of loaded ammo before I got to it!

If you find you want a bit more weight, any number of folks are shooting the BACo 400gr Money bullet to 1000yd with their 40-65, 40-70 and 40-82 with good results.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Oops! Sorry I'm late to this thread. Yes, Vall's display of beautiful old Ballards was fantastic. 2nd best part of it was watching Vall ring the dingers way out yonder with various ones of the rifles. The best part is how well Vall has gathered information about the rifles and previous owners and helped the rifles tell their histories.

Poor Vall didn't get as much trigger time as some of us, as it seems someone was always pestering him to play docent for his museum pieces, though I don't get the feeling that sharing the histories of his wonderful old rifles was something that Vall tired of. It's hard to pick out one of the rifles he displayed as the most interesting, but for me it had to be his Pope change-barrel rifle with 3 barrels set up on an ingenious system of Pope's devising.

The Gatherin at Wind's every year is a true treat, with many fine folks who appreciate old guns and shooting them at steel plates. I brought my CPA Stevens with barrels in 30-30, 32-40, and 40-72 Winchester, my Ruger No. 1 in 38-55, my 1893 Marlin in 38-55, and my Stevens Favorite 22 LR.

As Vall said, the larger bores are easier to get on the 650 and 990 yard plates, not only for wind-bucking properties, but also because the misses throw up a bigger cloud of dust.  When you're trying to adjust your long-range tang sights for the distant targets, if you don't know where you're missing, you can't make the adjustments to bring the rifle onto target. I threw many a 32-40 and 30-30 bullet onto the hillside toward the distant targets with nary a dust cloud spotted to indicate where they hit. In frustration, I put the small bores aside and went after the 650 and 990 with my 38-55 and my 40-72. I had to use Kentucky windage with the Ruger, as it is currently scoped, and I got close to the 990 by holding on branches of a tree above and windward of the plate. 

With visible dust clouds to mark my misses, an adjustable Montana Vintage Arms tang sight, and Wind's practiced spotting and coaching, after 3 years of trying, I finally joined the 990 club with my CPA and 40-72 barrel. Load was a 400 grain Snover over 22 grains of IMR 4198, fixed cartridges.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 9:33am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 7:25am:
marlinguy wrote on Jul 16th, 2017 at 7:26pm:
Hopefully I can beg him to make one for me, so I can shoot the Pacific farther! There's a 990 yd. dinger out there, but I ran out of loaded ammo before I got to it!

If you find you want a bit more weight, any number of folks are shooting the BACo 400gr Money bullet to 1000yd with their 40-65, 40-70 and 40-82 with good results.

I have both the Money bullet mold, and the Snover, but haven't had good luck with either at long range. I believe the slow twist of older guns aren't great for those heavier bullets, and the lighter bullets seem to do better in these slow twist barrels.
One of my friends owns two Rollings Blocks with newer GM barrels in 14.5" and 16" twist rates, and had poor results with those heavier bullets in them also. He built the 14.5" twist to handle heavier bullets, and they still began to tumble at about 600 yds. He finally dropped down to a 335 gr. in his .40-65 for both guns, and they are both staying stable out to longer distances now.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 9:40am
Print Post  
jy3855 wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 9:32am:
Oops! Sorry I'm late to this thread. Yes, Vall's display of beautiful old Ballards was fantastic. 2nd best part of it was watching Vall ring the dingers way out yonder with various ones of the rifles. The best part is how well Vall has gathered information about the rifles and previous owners and helped the rifles tell their histories.

Poor Vall didn't get as much trigger time as some of us, as it seems someone was always pestering him to play docent for his museum pieces, though I don't get the feeling that sharing the histories of his wonderful old rifles was something that Vall tired of. It's hard to pick out one of the rifles he displayed as the most interesting, but for me it had to be his Pope change-barrel rifle with 3 barrels set up on an ingenious system of Pope's.

The Gatherin at Wind's every year is a true treat, with many fine folks who appreciate old guns and shooting them at steel plates.

As Vall said, the larger bores are easier to get on the 650 and 990 yard plates, not only for wind-bucking properties, but also because the misses throw up a bigger cloud of dust.  When you're trying to adjust your long-range tang sights for the distant targets, if you don't know where you're missing, you can't make the adjustments to bring the rifle onto target. I threw many a 32-40 and 30-30 bullet onto the hillside toward the distant targets with nary a dust cloud spotted to indicate where they hit. 

With visible dust clouds to mark my misses, an adjustable Montana Vintage Arms tang sight, and Wind's trusty spotting and coaching, after 3 years of trying, I finally joined the 990 club with my CPA and 40-72 barrel. Load was a 400 grain Snover over 22 grains of IMR 4198, fixed cartridges.

Yes, I brought a lot of ammo back home, but enjoyed going over the display rifles with the fellas who had not been exposed to schuetzen rifles.
I too found my smaller calibers from .32-40 down to be frustrating to locate misses at longer distances. But at farther distances I can almost spot for myself with a .40, as the dust is easy to see!

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Beautiful collection of Ballards very well displayed. Been a Stevens collector for many years but looking at that display sort of makes me think I should look for a Ballard.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:25pm:
Beautiful collection of Ballards very well displayed. Been a Stevens collector for many years but looking at that display sort of makes me think I should look for a Ballard.

Thanks! Everyone should own a Ballard at some point in life! I wanted one just to complete my pre WWI Marlin repeater collection. Had over 100 early Marlin lever actions then, and after buying my first Ballard I was hooked. Began selling all my repeaters and reinvesting in more Ballards. I own two Marlin 1881's now, and all the rest went away over time. I miss some, but the Ballards fill any empty spots! Smiley

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Vall,

I will be at the show tomorrow late morning.  I have your number if I need it. Can't wait to see your display. Do I need to bring my own drool towel?

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #37 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Great meeting you today Jack!! Wish we could have visited longer! Thanks for coming down for the show!

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Very impressive show.  Your rifles are awesome.  Nice to see so many different types of old firearms in one place. 

Thanks

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jack!

Picked up a .22LR benchrest rifle today. 1885 Winchester with #5 weight Stevens-Pope .22 barrel. Heavy little bugger, but at a giveaway price I couldn't resist! I tossed my Belding & Mull target scope on it.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Nice find Val.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 2:02am
Print Post  
You told me you were not going to buy that you dirt bag ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #42 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 2:02am:
You told me you were not going to buy that you dirt bag ken

Smiley 
Had a moment of weakness, and made him a lowball offer. To my surprise he took it! Less than he mentioned he'd take the day you asked him.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #43 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 8:42am:
MG, do you own every model of Ballard? Marlin Ballards?

Joe.

No Joe, I have several holes in my Marlin collection. Especially in the very expensive models! I have a #7, but not the 7A-1 or 7A-1 Extra. No 4 1/2 Mid Range, or #10 Schuetzen Jr.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #44 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Hey Vall, I saw your posting of this rifle over on Castboolits so I figured you'd be more complete over here.  Wow... what a neat find.  Be sure and post some results when you take it out for a spin at the range.  I'm betting it's going to shoot as well as it looks.  Over on CB I suggested adding  small Swiss buttplate, but I guess I'd have to wring it out on the bench first, but it screams for some offhand time as well.  You know what old Harry Pope said about the bench proving the gun and offhand proving the shooter.

Regards and congratulations,
Your Friend the Frog

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint