Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: Ruger #1 (Read 3721 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ruger #1
Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Very nice a friend has a 1V in 25-06 and it shoots really well. The #1's to me were one of the most charming factory rifles ever made. When they first came out they all had real nice wood and hand cut checkering. I had a 1B in 6MM it was my Colo. Mule deer rifle. Still wish I had it and it too shot extremely well but with my hunting days now over and it just sitting in the safe hopefully the new owner is putting it to good use.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:34pm:
Very nice a friend has a 1V in 25-06 and it shoots really well. The #1's to me were one of the most charming factory rifles ever made. When they first came out they all had real nice wood and hand cut checkering. I had a 1B in 6MM it was my Colo. Mule deer rifle. Still wish I had it and it too shot extremely well but with my hunting days now over and it just sitting in the safe hopefully the new owner is putting it to good use.

JLouis

I haven't shot this one yet, not sure what brand ammo to start with. Do you know what brand or handloads your friend's #1 is most accurate with? I dont handload, probably gonna start with Remington 120 p.s.p. core-lokt and see where we go from there.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
He handloads for it so I am not sure what componets he is currently using I will have to check with him next time I see him.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
The one I have will not shoot 117 bullets very well but it will shoot 100 grain bullets between 5/8 and 3/4 inch. Give the 100's a try if you can't get  the heavier bullets to shoot.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Even with 100 gr. bullets the .25-06 makes a fantastic deer cartridge! My nephew shoots one for mule deer and it will really reach out there with ease, and very flat shooting!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I have a 1V in 25-06, it has never had a factory round run thru it. I shoot 56gr 4831 short grain, mag primers, 117gr Hornaday Rem brass. consistently shoots under an inch at 100yrds. I will admit I rarely shoot it now, love the old German guns too much. Can't sell it as it was a gift from my wife before we were married many years ago.
Mike

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Absolutely "minute of deer"!  Grin

Chris
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I bought a B78 in 25-06 years ago when I thought faster was better.  I was going to chamber to a 25 Gibbs but I thought I better see if it shot first as if it was inaccurate I would start with a new barrel.  I bought some factory Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tips and shot a group at 100 yards.  The group was around 3/4".  I am still hunting with that rifle with the standard chamber as if it ain't broke why fix it.  I have killed Julie's with 100gr partitions, 100 gr TSX, 110gr Accubonds and 120gr Core loks, all handlebars.  re 22 and Re 25 are my favorite powders.  The Browning is jealous now as I have found the old 25-35 kills big bucks too and my Stevens 44 1/2 is being used more.  My hunting partner has a 1V in 25-06 but hasn't hunted with it in over 25 years as it got heavier as we got older!

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint