Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barrel blanks (Read 37796 times)
bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel blanks
Reply #90 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Inside the Man Cave operation center with inside RKS on the computer screen.  I should have built a bigger shop!

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #91 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
It is in the outer shop.  This is just the insulated computer, gun room.  I'd show you a picture but it is buried in the far back.  My pack rat instinct filled my 20x24 shop really quickly.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #92 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Its a universal rule that we expand to overfill any space we have available. Am currently trying to "dejunk" my 1600 sq. ft. of 'space' so we can move in the next year or two. Having a tough time and the wife only rolls her eyes and shakes her head. Women just don't understand.  Roll Eyes

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #93 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
At least my wife says we will never move.  Well unless I can find enough saltwater front property to build my dream rifle range on that I could afford. I still need to find a lathe capable of threading barrels on. May need to add on to the shop.  De-junking is never an option.  You never know when that broken piece of plexiglass will come in handy!!!

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #94 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
BPJack the day always seem to arise when its time to get rid of say that piece of plexiglass thats been laying around for years on end. Never fails the day or shortly there after you do it could have been put to very good use at least that's been my own kind of luck. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #95 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
John,

The problem that I have is I forget I have something like that that piece of plexiglass and buy some more when I need it.   I use part of what I buy and eventually have several partial pieces of plexiglass.  Now that I have more room, I am getting better and keeping like items together.  I just can't always remember where they are.  i know some people that have the same problem with the guns they have.  They keep buying more and more.  I ran into a guy at the range last month who says he has 65 bolt action hunting rifles.  Once he gets one shooting well he shelves it and buys another.  Nice problem to have I guess.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #96 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:55am
Print Post  
I'm in the same boat as you Jack! I know I keep the good stuff to use, but then when I need it I can't find it, and I buy more. I also can't toss something I think I'll use later, as I need it as soon as the garbage man takes the cans!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
The majority of the time, it's way more productive for me to dig through accumulated junk, than to take a run to the store. It's gotten to the point for me that if it's not an emergency, I'll just order the odds and ends online, then git round tuit a few days later.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #98 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
The reason I have two 45 caliber throating reamers is that I forgot that I had the first one! Undecided

JS

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #99 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 1:33am
Print Post  
so what do we think of lilja and pacnor barrels?
what decides a rifling pattern for lead bullets? e.g. 6 grooves? land vs groove proportions, etc.
on another topic, this is a good thread.
for some of us time is at a premium.
when we have to waste time reading through cat fights totally unrelated to the topic and personal in nature it just ruins it.
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #100 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
My highest scores have been fired with an 8 groove gain twist choked cut rifled RKS barrel.

Ron Smith mostly cuts 6 groove barrels and they have been just as accurate for me.

When I started shooting the old timers indicated to me the bullet was more geometrically stable with more grooves. 
Also with more grooves there was less bullet being cut due to the reduced land area (so should reduce the possibility of leading).

I have stayed with lots of grooves but I am not sure what research might exist.

Some British 303 rifles only had one rifle groove and they still spun the bullet sufficiently to stabilize it.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #101 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
An odd number of 7 and 9 as Darr and Schoyen used to produce has always made more since to me but seldom found or if still being made. 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #102 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
I have never found luck and consistent winning as being one in the same Ken you have to work your Arss off to become good at least I did. If one does not have a real good shooting barrel all that work pretty much  pretty much becomes a waste of ones time as you just can't get there no matter how hard one tries as I have had a few along the way. The most consistent one I have owned to date was a left hand 15 twist Bresien in 33-47 using a 234gr. MOS Spitzer. My 32-40 15 twist Douglas shot just as good but I had to stay on top of the temp. changes to keep it in tune it being a bit more finicky. My 12 twist Douglas 28-35SS is more like the Bresien and does not seem to be finicky at all but you have to stay on top of the conditions quite a bit more so but it's also the more enjoyable to shoot. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:23pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #103 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 11:57pm:
John,
If there was enough customer demand I would get Al to produce a seven groove .338" 1-14.92 twist choked barrel. 
The 1903a3 two groove barrels are very accurate. It all comes down to producing a straight barrel with choke from my experience. I am not sure twist rates or number of grooves are as important shooter ability. The main thing the barrel should produce 1/2" MOA more than not day in and out. I won a bunch of rifles shooting a .338" 1-16 twist 245gr. Grims bullet. Darn lucky I guess.
KL

It seems the trend is for tighter twist rates these days, and heavier bullets too. Regardless of the distances fired, but even more so for longer distances. 
But I've seen a fair number of very old guns with extremely slow twists (compared to modern barrels) and seen them shoot excellent. I do believe the average gun and barrel shoots better with faster twist rates, but I think the slower rates can also perform equally well too. 

Luck is occasionally shooting a really tight group. Skill is doing it numerous times! From the targets you've posted with your BRC barrels, I'd say there's not much luck involved.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #104 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
My theory regarding barrels and bullets, is that the barrel should distort the bullet, the least possible and still have enough purchase on the bullet, to spin it reliably.

To that end, I have purchased a 3 groove Pacnor barrel, .338 x 14 twist at least a year ago. But, like many things (including my 28 cal Kreiger barrel) I haven't got-round-to installing them.

Pacnor is the only barrel marker that I know of that makes 3 groove barrels. The lands are as narrow as any 6 groove and therefore distort the bullet, 1/2 as much. With a freebore, a cylinderical bullet would be very easy to BS, if it wasn't more that .0005 to ,001 over groove diameter. That would minimized "slump" if it's a problem. But, what ever it is that keeps us from putting every bullet in the same hole, I'm pretty sure (harmonics aside), that it's the bullet distorting somewhere along it's path to the target.

Pacnor's have no choke in them though (I'm a believer that chokes are a good thing) but, not all 250's are shot with choked barrels.

I wonder if Barry ever built and tested 3 grooves? My only worry about 3 grooves, is if they will reliably keep the bullet from shearing but, I have a feeling that they would.

I wonder if Dale Reynold barrel is 3 or 6 groove, does anyone know?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint