Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barrel blanks (Read 37791 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel blanks
Reply #105 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I have been following this thread and I have no dog in this fight. I don't know Mr Frank personally and have never met him but he helped me with a project a couple years ago and he was most truthful and on the up and up. He helped me with load data and told me do not hesitate to call on him if further help was needed. He even offered to send me some bullets to try. I can't imagine why he is being attacked the way he is. I would also ask the moderators to not let this sort of thing get this far. There is tons of help to be had from this site and my personal opinion is that it be kept to that end. Again this is my two cents worth.

JMH

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
JMH,
AMEN!!!!
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
That horse was dead is there really a need to bring it back to life now that the topic is back on the right track?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I have been following this thread and I have no dog in this fight.
Seems you're a bit one sided to me.
Let sleeping dogs lie.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #109 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for a positive change of pace John
Lee

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #110 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Bullet fit is an interesting subject all its own as it can make a real good barrel into being just the opposite. It serves multiple purposes one being to create a more consistant powder burn and helping to keep the pressure curve in check. Think of it as being a cork in a Champagne bottle and the effects it has on maintaining enough back pressure and long enough for it to go flying across the room. I am a big fan of cylindrical bullets, 1/16 alloy, a real snug fit and a long baseband. A good example is my current 28 bullet the body is 2 thous. over groove and the base 4 and it just seats snuggly and the results are quite remarkable on the target. I used to be of the same school of thought as Frank but after hours of conversations with my good friend Barry Darr on the subject several years back it all finally clicked and for the better by far for my own personal use. 

I might add the leade angle in my throat is also conducive to this snug fit and it might not work for others based on it alone.
JLouis
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:42pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

martini79
Participating Member

Reply #111 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Hi guys I am 90% sure I am going to do a bs 33-47 single shot. 

I have worked out for the bullet I want to use a 1:15 twist would probably be optimal. Most makers go 1:10 some 1:12 but Pacnor are the only ones who do 1:14. 

Touching on Franks point I would very much like to know people opinions on if a 3 groove will work okay with lead.

In addition is there any advantage to having deeper grooves? I ask because the B plan for a barrel would be Krieger, I have been in touch with them and they can do a 1:15 twist with 340 or 342 groove diameter.

Sorry if I seem ignorant I have been shooting cast for a while but am new to  BS and trying to figute out what makes a truly good cast barrel. All but one of my barrels has a standard for caliber twist.

Thanks Andy

IP Logged

martini79
Participating Member

Reply #112 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
So with smokeless.006 will have no advantage over .004?

So would a six groove be better than 3?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #113 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Looking at the examples of the old master barrel maker's I own, they fall right in line with what Joe mentioned about narrow lands, and shallow grooves. They also use numerous land/grooves, with my .32-40 Schoyen having 7 and my .28 pope having 7 also.
I think the shallow grooves distort the bullet less, and the narrow lands are just enough (with the number of lands) to grip and spin the bullet without distorting and creating fins off the base.
There's a reason these old barrel maker's barrels shot so well, whether they were right or left hand twist.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #114 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
The basic groove depth, standard for 32/40 is .003 deep and most number 6 to 8 grooves.

My 33 cal has 6 grooves, with narrow land, .330 bore and .337 groove (it also has a felt choke when cleaning it), it ends in 15 twist and can shoot a bullet 1.30 long, with accuracy. Pictured target, shot at 200 yd. The 2 bullets that I have been using in matches are 1.19 & 1.21 long.

Anything you do to a lead bullet, getting it into the rifling, displaces metal. Hopefully, nothing goes off center while doing it. 

A 3 groove, displaces 1/2 the metal that a 6 groove does and that's why I bought that barrel. I don't recommend the 3 groove though, at this time, as I haven't tested it.

Frank
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2017 at 12:17pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #115 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Vall I find the 7 grooves in your 28 Pope extremely interesting and thanks for sharing that information.

JLouis

IP Logged

martini79
Participating Member

Reply #116 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your replies so far. I have further questions:

1. Is there any truth in an odd number of grooves having an advantage over even number because a odd groove number means that the groove and lands oppose an there is less bullet deformation? I guess I an referring to the 5R rifling is it better than conventional 6 with it smoother transition?

2. I believe Krieger will alter groove dimensions for a price, if I went down this route, what width of lands would be optimal for a 6 groove barrel?

Thanks

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #117 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I would tend to think it a personal opionion. I spend allot of time over on benchrest central listening to what the hall of famer's have to say and there has not been allot of praise for the 5R. I also know of no one using one for cast bullet compeition but hopefully someone here is. I would trully enjoy hearing their thoughts depending on who that might be and what they have accomplished with it.

JLouis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #118 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 9:44am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 16th, 2017 at 6:17pm:
Vall I find the 7 grooves in your 28 Pope extremely interesting and thanks for sharing that information.

JLouis

You're welcome John.
What is very interesting to me is the way Pope and Schoyen cut their grooves. Pope used a flat cutter and his grooves were cut just deep enough for the center of the cutter to reach the bore diameter. So he was just cutting two corners for each groove. But he left very narrow lands in between each groove. LH twist.
Schoyen's cutters were concentric to the bore contour, and about the same depth as Pope's, and also with narrow lands. RH twist.
So the two masters had very different methods of creating a similar looking rifling, and a very accurate barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #119 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
John,
I have a ruger No 1, rebarreled , with  Stainless
Obermeyer 5R barrel chambered in 30 Army(30-40K) standing for years in the back of the safe. Have wanted to get back to 
it, but other Schuetzen and  CBA project guns keep getting 
the priority... One of these days...  Will report results then....
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Send TopicPrint