Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Built A Muzzle Loader With A Special Barrel (Read 3669 times)
oldracer
Participating Member

Built A Muzzle Loader With A Special Barrel
Jun 11th, 2017 at 10:46am
Print Post  
It started with a walnut (?) stock semi inletted for $4 at one of our club meetings. Then a 45 cal "fast twist barrel with false muzzle, bullet starter, hooked patient breech and no holes or dove tail slots came along for a very nice price! It had "Russ Hooks'" (who) name in marker on one of the flats and was somewhere around 15 to 20 years old although no one is sure? I worked on the stock for 6 weeks or so before putting things together and test firing some rounds with no sights yet. It shoots well. Mounted a 15 power Unertl scope and after two coats of clear sealer and 15 coats of automotive lacquer took it back to the range and the first shot....a flyer at 50 yards but the next six were in a ragged hole. No load work up or anything and using 80 grains FFG, 60 thousands wad and grease groove 540 grain Creedmoor bullet (old ones). I am a happy boy. Thanks Russ for not using the barrel.

IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Re: Built A Muzzle Loader With A Special Barrel
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Another picture. The leather check piece is from a Wisconson chunk gun I bought a year or so ago.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:20pm by oldracer »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Russ Hooks is a long time (very long time) competitor in single shots, from the San Diego area.

Some on this forum can get you intouch with him, if you need to do that.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
First off I apologize that the pictures are so big and I know Russ well and usually see him once or twice a week at our range. When I saw his name on the barrel I called him the next night and he is about the same age I am and didn't remember the barrel and he checked with some others but no info. I checked the twist and it seems to be 1 in 18 at the breech and 1 in 16 at the muzzle. The bullet starter looks like one of Pope's as does the false muzzle?

IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Okay here we go:

IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Here's another, I did not put the bullet starter or false muzzle on so I'll take a couple pictures of that. The stock was going to be a bench/flint lock but was to use tang sights but I wanted a Unertl scope instead as they end up costing nearly the same!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Have you considered a closed ignition system, to keep BP residue off the scope tube?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

oldracer
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Yes I did think about a "closed ignition" system as I have three rifles that use the MagSpark system. They need a hammer (cock)with a flat bottom striking area and I called several places and they did not have a hammer that would work with the Shuetzen L&R lock I have. If I can remember I'll pick up a large enough piece of black leather to make a sleeve to go over that area. Here is a picture of the under hammer I built last year and shoots < 1 MOA at 200 yards right now. Thanks for looking and the suggestion.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2017 at 10:02am by oldracer »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint