Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Hepburn (Read 9856 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New Hepburn
Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Very nice rifle! Picture went in my file for future builds as a reference.
G

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Rebel went crazy barking at the door about 7:30 pm this evening.
It was UPS with the new Hepburn. 
It's a Remington Arms, as opposed to an E. Remington and Sons, I didn't think it would come to my home.
Let me first say that packing peanuts should be banned and any shipper that uses them should be castrated.
Inside the very large heavy box were one rifle and 5 smaller wrapped items, benchrest left handed buttstock, matching forearm, breech seater, 50 unlubed boolits and 30 cases.
Wow, this is one heavy rifle, and a prize in my collection!
I tried standing up and sighting it, I need more muscle if I were to try an offhand match.
Studied it hard and couldn't find a flaw, although the breechblock needs quite a bit a force to close. DST's work great.
Darn, I sure am addicted to these things.
Turned out to be a great day and just in time for my Bday Saturday.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Happy Birthday! nothing better than getting what you want on these occasions.   
I'm glad the support group I use for this addiction allow and encourage the occaisional self indulgence.   Smiley

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Glad it made it there OK! Most Remington Arms Co. markings indicate post bankruptcy of 1886, and the marking change started in 1888-89 era. So many will be antique status.
The extras with the gun are a nice bonus to have!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
That new pic shows a much nicer rifle then I recall from the auction listing pic. Congrats. That's some nice wood.
Have you checked the twist? If an old barrel likely to be too slow to shoot a competitive bullet in BPCR or BPTR. But, with that barrel it would be quite difficult to hold up for off-hand shooting (at least for me - my 38cal barrels are #3 1/2 & #3). Will be just the ticket for Scheutzen.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks Glenn,
It seems that Giddings worked on the better stocks. It has flawless 30lpi checkering that doesn't show well in the pic.

I think of it as a Schuetzen rifle, although not being personally very competitive, I could use it for most disciplines.

The left handed wood that came with it it set up for benchrest, but the Circassion Walnut doesn't work well with the depicted buttstock. Does anyone right handed shoot with left handed stocks? Seems possible.
Then again, it's not all about looks.
I have another DST Heppy in 40-70SS, I'm not sure whether to keep it or use it for BPCR, good predicament to be in.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Might be getting your rifles mixed up. Was thinking your rifle was a 40-70, so likely my error. Can't have too many great Hepburn rifles.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 9:27am
Print Post  
So many rifles, so little cash.
Happy Fourth,
Aaron

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I see no reason at all that an offside cheekpiece wouldn't be easy to shoot. Especially if your range distances are not way out there where you'd lose cheek contact with the stock. 
I came very close to buying a Hepburn Match B from Ron Peterson that was left handed a year ago at the Denver show. Was contemplating how it would feel, and whether I could shoot it, when a 2nd Match B in right hand, with 34" barrel got set on the table! Made up my mind, as I couldn't afford both anyway. If I could, I'd probably have purchased both, as a lefty would be much more rare.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint